Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Damn, there's fire tornadoes coming out of that roof.  They ain't putting this out anytime soon.  

Yeah even multiple elevated master streams wouldn't do much on a fire like this one, and that's IF they could even get close enough to be effective. Most American ladder trucks only extend to about 105', and  they tend to be smaller in Europe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah even multiple elevated master streams wouldn't do much on a fire like this one, and that's IF they could even get close enough to be effective. Most American ladder trucks only extend to about 105', and  they tend to be smaller in Europe.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Damn I was just at Notre Dame four hours ago. I saw they had scaffolding erected all around where the fire is. I’m guessing it was flammable solvents or a short circuit or something along those lines. That is very bad news. I feel lucky to have seen it just before it burned. 

Sounds like something the TxTow of church fires would say...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If you've ever been to Notre Dame, you know it's not just tall, it's spread out with a very big footprint. Access  to the fire has to be a massive problem with this fire. You don't just bust in the front door and start spraying water on a fire like this one. The handlines likely wouldn't even reach all the way in to the fire, and ladder trucks probably can't reach it because it's in the middle of the building.

I'm certain the FD there has pre-fire planned this building to death and know exactly what their challenges would be in a fire just like this one, and unfortunately now that's all being demonstrated very clearly.

• Like 1

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

CATHOLIC CHURCHES ARE BEING DESECRATED ACROSS FRANCE—AND OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY

BY BRENDAN COLE ON 3/21/19 AT 9:04 AM EDT

France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration.

Vandals have smashed statues, knocked down tabernacles, scattered or destroyed the Eucharist and torn down crosses, sparking fears of a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment in the country.

Last Sunday, the historic Church of St. Sulpice in Paris was set on fire just after midday mass on Sunday,  Le Parisien reported, although no one was injured. Police are still investigating the attack, which firefighters have confidently attributed to arson.

Built in the 17th century, St. Sulpice houses three works by the Romantic painter Eugene de la Croix, and was used in the movie adaptation of The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown....

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is absolutely heartbreaking.

Unfortunately, sometimes that's really all that can be done. Surround & drown. Make sure the fire doesn't spread to other structures or hurt anyone else.

3 minutes ago, thestud said:

It’s already jumped the shark. Sending anyone inside at this point is tantamount to premeditated murder. They’re gonna have to lob water at it from outside of the collapse zone (which won’t do shit).

Yep. This one's gonna burn til there's nothing left to burn.

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I know jokes are de rigueur here at Surly, but this is absolutely awful.  Forget for a minute that this is a church.  This is a 900 year old work of art that is burning, never mind all the artifacts that are going to be lost inside.  

Agreed. I like this site but some of you can be massive dicks at times.

Firefighters are trying to get artifacts and artwork out. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I know jokes are de rigueur here at Surly, but this is absolutely awful.  Forget for a minute that this is a church.  This is a 900 year old work of art that is burning, never mind all the artifacts that are going to be lost inside.  

Indeed.  I don't share their faith, but that building is a monument to western civilization and one of the greatest works of art ever created. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Agreed.  One of the most iconic buildings in all of Europe, if not the world.  Very sad.

25 minutes ago, wood said:

Tankers on a structure fire? Never heard of it being done before, but who knows? One big problem with tankers on buildings is that the falling water doesn't just instantly 'aerosolize'. Water is very heavy and could easily damage the building very badly all by itself. You also have to take into consideration the firefighters and other workers on the ground. People have been injured or even killed by water drops in forest fires.

Water from a tank plane would knock the thing down.