Delta Moves to Limit Seat Reclining

Gatorubet

Newser) – Love leaning all the way back on flights? Then you may take exception to a new Delta Airlines move to limit seat recline on its Airbus 320 planes—but the person behind you will likely be happier, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. The airline is reducing main-cabin and Comfort+ recline from 4 inches to 2 inches and first-class recline from 5.4 inches to 3.5 inches starting this weekend, and rolling out to all A320s over the next two months. Some commenters embraced the change on The Points Guy, which broke the news. "You do not NEED to recline and when you do you are in the lap of those behind you," writes one. (Read more airline industry stories.)

tenor.gif

Begun, the Reclining Wars have.

https://www.newser.com/story/273852/delta-airlines-move-will-affect-your-comfort.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Remember when commercial air travel was actually fun and not absolutely detestable like it is today?

I remember dressing up to get on the plane.  

I also remember asking the stewardess if we were allowed to smoke in the back.  I was 5. 

• Like 3

“Love leaning all the way back on flights? Then you may take exception to a new Delta Airlines move to limi....”

”All the way back...” is a pretty grandiose description of the almost imperceptible recline these seats are capable of. 

Its almost like saying “we are no longer going to be feeding you.”  

Oh, you mean the tiny bag with 3 Cheeze-It crackers is going away?  

• Like 2

I think the rule of thumb is unless it's a pre-8:00a flight or a nighttime red-eye, sit up like a fucking adult.  

What the fuck is it about 90 minutes up in the air during daylight hours?  People that normally go 90 minutes easily without a soda, or a sandwich, or a nap...suddenly turn into fucking toddlers?  Now I've done West Coast to East Coast, and in that case---you gotta do what you gotta do.  But if you're going from Texas to one of the coasts for 3 hours, nut the fuck up and take care of your shit before wheels up.

21 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I refuse to recline unless there is an empty seat behind me.

People who recline are fucking assholes 

13 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Yup. I also look to see if the person behind me is reclining. If they are then fuck them, they are assholes.

same, but the counterpoint is coming. "i paid for my ticket, and my seat reclines, fuck your personal space, i'm reclining."

even on international flights, when someone reclines, it shoves the entertainment console in my face, and eating off a tray table is awkward.

i cannot believe they cannot solve this issue, but they don't care, because that extra row they've put in there is a revenue producing row.

• Like 2

I recline but only on longer flights say over 5 hours and I don't recline all the way and honestly I don't normally even think about it unless the person in front of me reclines or I'm on a longer flight and my back starts to hurt.     If you want to place blame, blame the airlines who are moving seats closer and closer together to where reclining is now a huge issue.   

I remember dressing up to get on the plane.  
I also remember asking the stewardess if we were allowed to smoke in the back.  I was 5. 
Hey, I still have to wear a fucking tie on airplanes.

Recliners are assholes. There's no other way to sell it.

• Like 2

Just now, DaysOff said:

Recliners are assholes. There's no other way to sell it.

Then so are people who use the bathroom, overhead bins, the a/c vents and shades.   All those assholes who use functioning features of an airplane.    

• Like 6

coach recliners are self-centered sociopathic cunts. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

yes.

52 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

same, but the counterpoint is coming. "i paid for my ticket, and my seat reclines, fuck your personal space, i'm reclining."

like I said, self-centered sociopathic cunts. 

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

even on international flights, when someone reclines, it shoves the entertainment console in my face, and eating off a tray table is awkward.

When its eating time, all seats should automatically go back to the original position.  

I am amazed by the Code of Honor of people and not reclining.  

Maybe everyone should think of a reclined seat as the natural state of that seat.  Upright is just for takeoffs and landings, Grasshopper.  You conquer fear and pain within your mind.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I recline but only on longer flights say over 5 hours and I don't recline all the way and honestly I don't normally even think about it unless the person in front of me reclines or I'm on a longer flight and my back starts to hurt.     If you want to place blame, blame the airlines who are moving seats closer and closer together to where reclining is now a huge issue.   

Chicken dinner for you. Now gtfo here with your balanced, reasonable approach.

Trip to Frankfurt from DFW 1993.
4 packs of cigarettes and my buddy and I drank them out of Heineken.
So we switched to Bud light 
Note: They had no PBR.
I'm not proud.

I remember flying back from Europe in 93 and getting stuck next to some random Russians. There was some serious smoking going on. I quickly regretted getting a seat in the smoking section

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Then so are people who use the bathroom, overhead bins, the a/c vents and shades.   All those assholes who use functioning features of an airplane.    

This logic is childish and asinine. You think because something is capable of a function, you should be able to do it whenever it pleases you? regardless of how it affects other people? Just because a gun is capable of firing, doesn’t mean you can fire it off in your backyard within city limits. If you do, you’re an asshole 

44 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:
This logic is childish and asinine. You think because something is capable of a function, you should be able to do it whenever it pleases you? regardless of how it affects other people? Just because a gun is capable of firing, doesn’t mean you can fire it off in your backyard within city limits. If you do, you’re an asshole 

You're example is stupid and not equivalent in the slightest and in is also illegal.   No one is going to die or be endangered from a seat recline. It's just an inconvenience. Just like the sun beaming on your eyes or being too cold from the ac.

I assume everyone here is aware of the fact that airplane seats have the ability to recline and therefore in buying a ticket you have agreed to being on said airplane.  I just dont see the vitriol. 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Edited by midtown
  • Like 3

I've never understood the recline function on planes anyway.  I might take a 10 to 15 minute power nap and never use it.     If I can take a snooze at a hospital  or MD's waiting room in an upright position in a chair against the wall, I can certainly do the same on a plane. 

Having said that, the jackassery (if that's a word) the US based airline industry is doing to make passengers as uncomfortable as heck needs to stop.  Someone in the market place, whether it's an existing carrier or a new one yet to be formed could really tap into passenger dissatisfaction and make it the market.  There is a reason seasoned travelers and even the not so seasoned will seek out foreign carriers to travel overseas on vs the US based.   Those foreign based carriers basic economy makes what US based airlines Premium economy or even business class look like shit on a stick.

The recline isn’t that much to begin with. That y’all get bent out of shape over the airlines screwing you and you give dirty looks to the back of a seat is laughable. It is like that banker cookie meme that keeps going around.

The airlines are going to switch those Japanese sleeping tubes one day. Of course the cleaning bill from all the whacking might make it unprofitable.

If I was a Kyler Murray sized midget, it probably wouldn't bother me. But I'm not. My knees are already bumping the back of the seat in front of me. Reclining just drives it into my shins and I am going to bitch about it, loudly.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I refuse to recline unless there is an empty seat behind me.

Bravo, sir.  Bra-vo.

I always love it when some fat fuck in front of me throws it into recline 2.9 seconds after squeezing his fat ass into a seat.  Was on a flight from SAT to DFW and fat fuck did this to the point the tray was literally into the chest of the woman sitting next to me.  Found out later he was an OU professor.

Most of these flights are a few hours at most.  No need to recline and fuck with the person behind you.

• Like 2

I think it's cause and effect. most people from my experience won't recline unless the person in front of them has made it an imperative because they are reclining. For those who travel weekly (see American Airlines is horrid thread), a lot of times that 2-5 hours in the air is prime time to get emails and other stuff done so you don't take even more time away from your family.

That said, there truly is a difference that I'd forgotten about or didn't know about from Main Cabin Extra and the regular steerage class. If you are in the back of the plane, you are packed in like sardines and that recline is even more of a cause-and-effect situation.

If I was a Kyler Murray sized midget, it probably wouldn't bother me. But I'm not. My knees are already bumping the back of the seat in front of me. Reclining just drives it into my shins and I am going to bitch about it, loudly.
Kyler rides under the seat in his carrier.

For someone who travels as much as I do I generally find very few things to complain about mostly with the help of noise canceling headphones, edibles and or the fact they serve booze every where in the aviation world.  I have done as much as I can to minimize the negatives with travel with the knowledge that I will deal with a lot of the above.   The only real issue I have are people with backpacks who seem to be oblivious about the fact that you can't turn 90 degrees and smack someone in the face with your backpack.   And this is coming from an owner of many backpacks that have seen a lot of miles.  Everything else is either free entertainment like watching people deal with overhead bins or gate lice. 

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

What's really weird to me is that every bathroom in every airport has this one-way-with-a-blind-corner that basically means 50% of the time you are going to turn the corner and run into someone. Seems like there could be a better way of designing it.

Also, there truly is a benefit in being Group 3 or higher. Even if it is impossible to get to Group 1 status these days without multiple trips to Shanghai and elsewhere, it's nice to beat most people on the plane, have overhead storage above your actual seat (not having to check or walk half way down the plane to get it once it lands) and buckle in window seat in row 12 or below and check out with airpods in.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1