Delta Moves to Limit Seat Reclining

Gatorubet

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Trip to Frankfurt from DFW 1993.

4 packs of cigarettes and my buddy and I drank them out of Heineken.

So we switched to Bud light 

Note: They had no PBR.

I'm not proud.

Hang on a sec... you and a bud smoked 2 packs each from DFW to Frankfurt? And you "aren't proud"? 

That's god damn amazing.

A few things.
If you need to recline and do not have a medical condition you are wrong.
Why are guys above six foot penalized for not fitting into a seat screwed but someone whose ass is the size of three Kardashians welcomed?
If you don't have enough status to avoid most of this well spirit is in the crappy terminal.
But and can we fucking figure this out...why cant we have the frequent fliers get on last with a guaranteed overhead above us?

And I mean this domestically. Internationally can we get some people who want to do their job for more than two hours and shut the lights. I'm, my company, miles is paying for service. Don't act offended when I'm not too Pennsylvania yet and you want to check Facebook and shut it down

39 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

My buddy didn't smoke. I was a fucking stove pipe the entire fucking way, a really shit faced stove pipe.

Edit - I did some math though I was told it wouldn't be required.

Average cig is roughly 5 minutes give or take a minute.

4 packs = 80 cigarettes

400 minutes or around 6.5 hours

9.5 hour flight.

Can't smoke during take off or landing.

So um... Draw your own conclusions.

Side note - my friend might have had 2-3 cigarettes. He isn't a smoker, but we were headed to live in Germany, and I think he was "practicing" as he put.

Again, shit is pretty hazy from that flight.

If you actually smoked 80 cigs in 9.5 hours that's incredible.

But I'm young and probably out of touch with how heavily people used to smoke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Here are some of the worst people in air travel:

Fat Zero Core Strength Guy - Uses the back of your seat as a fucking pull up bar to lever himself up out of his seat to go to the head

Guilty.  Though I would argue this is more a function of limited room to maneuver than lack of core strength.  The taller you are the more I see this utilized.  Still this is why I always piss before boarding.

Was recently forced to ride in coach Minneapolis to heathrow and back, all of comfort plus was already taken. I’m 6’2. Was not enjoyable. 

I did make a boo boo when I started playing a game on the screen that required me to tap often. Apparently the lady in front of me could feel it each time. 

Guess I should have told her tough shit, the game is available and I’ll play if I want to. 

Those rising head rests don’t go high enough to support my head either, and of course my knees were jammed into the tray hinges. 

I really need the extra room of the upgrade seats, or even better the wing exit seats. 

Has anyone on here ever flown on Emirates?   Or Qatar Air for that matter?  Both Airports look first class as well.

Looking at some possible trips to several Asia destinations   from IAH on Google Flights and both show reasonable fares for business class  or premium economy along with good connection times.  Some require a long layover which would allow time to do a quick tour of Dubai or Doha which would be cool to do anyway as I could check it off on my list of places I've visited.    You really can't do that if you just stayed at the airport.

16 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Remember when commercial air travel was actually fun and not absolutely detestable like it is today?

True.

I also remember when most Americans weren't obese and dressed better and listened to better music and we didn't have the internet to control our minds....

Get off my lawn!

11 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I travel weekly and deal with some variant of these folks every week (although I no longer fly SWA)

Fat Zero Core Strength Guy - Uses the back of your seat as a fucking pull up bar to lever himself up out of his seat to go to the head

Fast Recline Guy - Seeking out the destruction of laptop screens every trip as he slams his seat back as fast as it can possibly go

Carrying 9000lb carry on down aisle sideways guy - Determined to shoulder check entire plane with his giant Helly Hansen bag stuffed to the gills full of shit from his Princess Cruise trip

Rush up the aisle as plane is at gate guy - doesn't ask or articulate the fact they have connection - just bum rushes as fast as they can towards front of plane.

Old person who apparently hasn't watched news in regards to airline travel rules in 15 years guy - O/U 3 times through metal detector before they get all of the shit out of their pockets - change, knives, phone etc etc etc

If you are flying Southwest

Family who boards plane last because they were stuffing their face at the airport McDonald's but has to sit together and you are flying solo so you get asked to take middle seat elsewhere for a drink coupon and maybe some karma people - Fuck these people

Fat Zero Core Strength Guy - is also the guy who when he gets in the seat, collapses in it enough to almost break the bolts anchoring the seat to the plane. 

The I always sucked at Tetris guy - huge line behind him, no one in front of him as he tries to stick his carry on in the compartment every direction but the right way

the I’m in C group but I’m gonna pretend I don’t understand Southwest boarding guy - he’s self explanatory. And an asshole.

the I love salmon when I fly guy - the leftover shit you bring from home to eat should not foul the entire airplane!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Has anyone on here ever flown on Emirates?   Or Qatar Air for that matter?  Both Airports look first class as well.

Looking at some possible trips to several Asia destinations   from IAH on Google Flights and both show reasonable fares for business class  or premium economy along with good connection times.  Some require a long layover which would allow time to do a quick tour of Dubai or Doha which would be cool to do anyway as I could check it off on my list of places I've visited.    You really can't do that if you just stayed at the airport.

Qatar is quite nice.  I enjoyed it and am flying it again but I flew regular economy and it was more than fine for a 12-hour flight.  Did the long layover too - some nice hotels you get to stay at for free if you do an overnight.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Qatar is quite nice.  I enjoyed it and am flying it again but I flew regular economy and it was more than fine for a 12-hour flight.  Did the long layover too - some nice hotels you get to stay at for free if you do an overnight.  

I've read the reviews of  Qatar on some of the review sites and most of them are positive .   Emirates seems to be taking a hit lately, but I don't know what some of these people use as their point of reference?   Again I've never flown either one of them, but both seem better than traveling on one of the US based airlines to that part of the world.  Plus leaving from IAH  at a reasonable afternoon or evening time with one connection is good deal for me.  

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I've read the reviews of  Qatar on some of the review sites and most of them are positive .   Emirates seems to be taking a hit lately, but I don't know what some of these people use as their point of reference?   Again I've never flown either one of them, but both seem better than traveling on one of the US based airlines to that part of the world.  Plus leaving from IAH  at a reasonable afternoon or evening time with one connection is good deal for me.  

Hamad International is also very nice and clean.  At a minimum, arrange the 7-8 hour layover and do the city tour.  Or do the overnight and pick the nicest hotel.  Uber is super cheap and reliable in Doha.  Just don't do it when it's 121 degrees outside - you'll never want to do anything outside. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

May as well just knock us unconscious and stuff us in the cargo bay at that point.  Hell, I might even prefer that already.  Drug me at check in and wake me up at my destination.

Reminds me of one of the stories in Skeleton Crew. 

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Doha is nice. Emirates, Etihad, or Qatar are very good, but make sure it isn’t the 2-2-2 configuration in J. Look for the 1-2-1 configurations instead. 

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Guilty.  Though I would argue this is more a function of limited room to maneuver than lack of core strength.  The taller you are the more I see this utilized.  Still this is why I always piss before boarding.

I'm only 5 10 so maybe not qualified to say this, but that's a horseshit excuse. Any person that is not somehow physically disabled should be able to push themselves up enough on their own armrests to get to standing position.

I get a little irritated when someone reclines into my space, but it's their option and I don't get too worked up about it. Now a motherfucking fat, lazy, piece of shit that can't get push themselves up needs to get an aisle seat and roll their fat ass onto the floor and get up. 

I don't give a fuck how you do it, but goddammit don't do it by pulling on my seat you worthless cocksucker.

My apologies for being harsh to you, TK, but fuck you anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I travel weekly and deal with some variant of these folks every week (although I no longer fly SWA)

Fast Recline Guy - Seeking out the destruction of laptop screens every trip as he slams his seat back as fast as it can possibly go

Carrying 9000lb carry on down aisle sideways guy - Determined to shoulder check entire plane with his giant Helly Hansen bag stuffed to the gills full of shit from his Princess Cruise trip

Rush up the aisle as plane is at gate guy - doesn't ask or articulate the fact they have connection - just bum rushes as fast as they can towards front of plane.

Old person who apparently hasn't watched news in regards to airline travel rules in 15 years guy - O/U 3 times through metal detector before they get all of the shit out of their pockets - change, knives, phone etc etc etc

If you are flying Southwest

Family who boards plane last because they were stuffing their face at the airport McDonald's but has to sit together and you are flying solo so you get asked to take middle seat elsewhere for a drink coupon and maybe some karma people - Fuck these people

I think I saw all of these people just this past Monday.

31 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I'm only 5 10 so maybe not qualified to say this, but that's a horseshit excuse. Any person that is not somehow physically disabled should be able to push themselves up enough on their own armrests to get to standing position.

I get a little irritated when someone reclines into my space, but it's their option and I don't get too worked up about it. Now a motherfucking fat, lazy, piece of shit that can't get push themselves up needs to get an aisle seat and roll their fat ass onto the floor and get up. 

I don't give a fuck how you do it, but goddammit don't do it by pulling on my seat you worthless cocksucker.

My apologies for being harsh to you, TK, but fuck you anyway.

Solid rant. Pos rep

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Hamad International is also very nice and clean.  At a minimum, arrange the 7-8 hour layover and do the city tour.  Or do the overnight and pick the nicest hotel.  Uber is super cheap and reliable in Doha.  Just don't do it when it's 121 degrees outside - you'll never want to do anything outside. 

LOL!  I'll keep that in mind.  But it can't be any worse than 90 degrees and 70% humidity here on the coast during the summer.  At least it's what they call "dry heat"over there???

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

LOL!  I'll keep that in mind.  But it can't be any worse than 90 degrees and 70% humidity here on the coast during the summer.  At least it's what they call "dry heat"over there???

Let me tell ya a story.

Mid-September, I'm in Thailand for 2 weeks.  Mid-80s, high humidity.  Oh it's like Houston, nothing too bad.  Sure, I was sweating a lot, but nothing that I wouldn't do at home.

Layover in Doha - it's like 117 outside.  Literally from the terminal door to my Uber, I'm sweating.  Get to hotel, I hear the prayer call for mid-afternoon.  Pop open the window and it's like 

Image result for terminator nuke gif

Finally, after the sun goes down, I take a trip to the Souk.  I'm hungry, I want to shop a little, I want to smoke some hookah while looking out at the Persian Gulf.  It's only 108 now.  At 8pm.  I'm instantly drenched through my thin t-shirt and swamp ass is quickly becoming real.

I see why they wear those robes.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Let me tell ya a story.

Mid-September, I'm in Thailand for 2 weeks.  Mid-80s, high humidity.  Oh it's like Houston, nothing too bad.  Sure, I was sweating a lot, but nothing that I wouldn't do at home.

Layover in Doha - it's like 117 outside.  Literally from the terminal door to my Uber, I'm sweating.  Get to hotel, I hear the prayer call for mid-afternoon.  Pop open the window and it's like 

Image result for terminator nuke gif

Finally, after the sun goes down, I take a trip to the Souk.  I'm hungry, I want to shop a little, I want to smoke some hookah while looking out at the Persian Gulf.  It's only 108 now.  At 8pm.  I'm instantly drenched through my thin t-shirt and swamp ass is quickly becoming real.

I see why they wear those robes.

Sounds like Laredo in July...  LOL.

My first trip down to Tulum/Playa Del Carmen  a few years ago gave me a new appreciation for the humidity of the Texas coast.   

8 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I’ve flown both a lot and you can’t go wrong with either of them. If flying out of IAH I prefer the Emirates A380 over the Qatar 777.  Over Christmas we flew Emirates business class to IAH and that was the best long haul flight I have ever taken. 

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Hahaha... go for it and see how it works out. Hell on earth is being kind. 

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I'm just wondering when airline companies will force people over 350 lbs to purchase two seats.

They do it all the time. If a fatass is spilling over into your seat and you tell the employee they will usually  move them to a spot where there are two seats together if there’s room, or remove them from the flight if the flight is full and only that single seat is available.  It’s awkward as fuck for everyone involved but I’ve seen it done many times.  But it’s only going to happen if you complain about it. 

Edited by Your Mom

17 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Emirates is my preferred airline. I am Gold status now, meaning I also get to use their first class lounges during layovers. I was flying Singapore -> Paris 4-5 times a year, I would always try to take a few extra hours in Dubai on the layover to drink so Moet or Dom for free...

Bonus, of the 50+ Emirates flights I have taken, they have been delayed for more than 10 minutes exactly zero times.

• Like 1

I have always been confused as to why the top of the seat has to move backwards. If the top of the seat stayed fixed and bottom of the seat moved forward it would do the exact same thing for recline. It would take away the persons space who is reclining instead of the person who is behind. It would also give the person behind the recliner more leg space while the person in front is reclined.  If you want to recline, take away your space, not mine...

On 4/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, Neonmoon said:

This logic is childish and asinine. You think because something is capable of a function, you should be able to do it whenever it pleases you? regardless of how it affects other people? Just because a gun is capable of firing, doesn’t mean you can fire it off in your backyard within city limits. If you do, you’re an asshole 

And those other functions mentioned don’t negatively effect other passengers. 

The seats don’t even fucking recline. Four inches is doing nothing for the person sitting in the chair but it absolutely is cutting into the space of the person behind. Sit up like an adult.

In February I had to buy a last minute ticket to London. Only seats available were middle seats in coach. Sitting in between two men and the asshole in front of me reclined and slept the whole goddamned flight. Most miserable experience of my adult life.

Edited by PilotsError

4 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Emirates is my preferred airline. I am Gold status now, meaning I also get to use their first class lounges during layovers. I was flying Singapore -> Paris 4-5 times a year, I would always try to take a few extra hours in Dubai on the layover to drink so Moet or Dom for free...

Bonus, of the 50+ Emirates flights I have taken, they have been delayed for more than 10 minutes exactly zero times.

I thought you had to have Platinum status for the first class lounges.  I know gold gets you in the business lounge.

16 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I thought you had to have Platinum status for the first class lounges.  I know gold gets you in the business lounge.

Gold gets you into the first class lounge in Dubai. It's the only place I do a layover. You need Platinum for first class lounges outside of Dubai.

Silver gets you into the biz class lounge in Dubai as well.

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I have always been confused as to why the top of the seat has to move backwards. If the top of the seat stayed fixed and bottom of the seat moved forward it would do the exact same thing for recline. It would take away the persons space who is reclining instead of the person who is behind. It would also give the person behind the recliner more leg space while the person in front is reclined.  If you want to recline, take away your space, not mine...

I don't know why you're saying that's your space.  The seat is built to occupy that space.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:46 PM, Lobo said:

I think the rule of thumb is unless it's a pre-8:00a flight or a nighttime red-eye, sit up like a fucking adult.  

What the fuck is it about 90 minutes up in the air during daylight hours?  People that normally go 90 minutes easily without a soda, or a sandwich, or a nap...suddenly turn into fucking toddlers?  Now I've done West Coast to East Coast, and in that case---you gotta do what you gotta do.  But if you're going from Texas to one of the coasts for 3 hours, nut the fuck up and take care of your shit before wheels up.

Not everyone on your flight has the same journey from start to finish.  They might be on the last leg of a 24 hour trek, from a completely different timezone altogether.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:12 PM, Hawndoh said:

Why can't they make it recline by your own seat base sliding forward. Reclining passenger eats into their own space instead of the space behind them. 

They can.  Been on a bunch of seats like this, dont remember exact but I think theyre the Recaro branded ones used by Lufthansa and others

On 4/16/2019 at 10:19 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’ve flown both a lot and you can’t go wrong with either of them.

Minus the fact that you'd be supporting the emiratis and qataris.  Fuck them.  I mean I fly turkish but atleast that's 50% public

On 4/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Those foreign based carriers basic economy makes what US based airlines Premium economy or even business class look like shit on a stick.

Not sure about this. I flew BA on the new 787 "DreamLiner" to London and back in coach. Those seats were tight. Looks like they are the same 31" of pitch as most domestic coach seats.