Delta Moves to Limit Seat Reclining

Gatorubet

Yep, urban legend. Most of the international carriers in this thread have exactly the same pitch as most of the US carriers.  A few have an extra inch or too but only on certain equipment, certainly not across the board. 

That extra inch isn’t exactly life changing. And I’d know about the desire for extra inches... I’m your mom. 

https://www.airlinequality.com/info/seat-pitch-guide/

Edited by Your Mom
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Not everyone on your flight has the same journey from start to finish.  They might be on the last leg of a 24 hour trek, from a completely different timezone altogether.

Not a lot of Delta flights connect thru Austin.  

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Minus the fact that you'd be supporting the emiratis and qataris.  Fuck them.  I mean I fly turkish but atleast that's 50% public

If the choice is supporting Emiratis or Qataris vs condoning the complete shit sandwich the US airline industry tries to serve up... well yeah, I'm going to support the Emiratis and Qataris.  Free markets and stuff like that...

10 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Not sure about this. I flew BA on the new 787 "DreamLiner" to London and back in coach. Those seats were tight. Looks like they are the same 31" of pitch as most domestic coach seats. 

BA is basically the same as a US carrier.  Any airline with 60 year-old battle axes for air waitresses is shit.

What I don’t understand is this: the existing airlines have an oligopoly of the skies, right? I mean, it’s practically impossible for a new airline to get in on it. You can’t get gates at the airports, you can’t get routes, etc. Also, pretty much every single flight I’ve taken in the past ten years, whether cheap or expensive,  has been full or almost full. So why do the airlines continue with this effort to choke the passengers to death? Why don’t they start putting fewer seats with more leg room and charge more? Why don’t they start giving you real food and booze and charge you for it? People who fly HAVE TO fly. So instead of $400, people will be paying $600 for a ticket, and planes will remain full.

Not sure about this. I flew BA on the new 787 "DreamLiner" to London and back in coach. Those seats were tight. Looks like they are the same 31" of pitch as most domestic coach seats. 

This is true for the most cases, you can check seat guru. Especially now that so many 777s have 10-abreast seating.

9 minutes ago, XYZ said:

What I don’t understand is this: the existing airlines have an oligopoly of the skies, right? I mean, it’s practically impossible for a new airline to get in on it. You can’t get gates at the airports, you can’t get routes, etc. Also, pretty much every single flight I’ve taken in the past ten years, whether cheap or expensive,  has been full or almost full. So why do the airlines continue with this effort to choke the passengers to death? Why don’t they start putting fewer seats with more leg room and charge more? Why don’t they start giving you real food and booze and charge you for it? People who fly HAVE TO fly. So instead of $400, people will be paying $600 for a ticket, and planes will remain full.

Because in spite of the oligopoly, they compete with each other on price.  And because people are willing to be treated like cattle to save a few bucks.  So when Southwest, Spirit, etc started charging people less to be crammed in like sardines, UA/AA/etc had to follow suit.  There simply aren't enough people willing to pay that 50% ticket increase for more space.  If there were, the budget airline business model wouldn't even exist.  Half the time, nobody even pays for the "extra leg room" seats and they sit empty unless someone "upgrades" into them.

9 minutes ago, XYZ said:

How is this different than offering economy plus, business class, first class options?  I agree that regular economy sucks, but they already allow you to pay for more room. And they already allow you to buy booze. Good food, not so much, but there are a lot more constraints there. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Because in spite of the oligopoly, they compete with each other on price.  And because people are willing to be treated like cattle to save a few bucks.  So when Southwest, Spirit, etc started charging people less to be crammed in like sardines, UA/AA/etc had to follow suit.  There simply aren't enough people willing to pay that 50% ticket increase for more space.  If there were, the budget airline business model wouldn't even exist.  Half the time, nobody even pays for the "extra leg room" seats and they sit empty unless someone "upgrades" into them.

This. 

Jetblue has Mint and AA runs their 321T’s, but the has to fly road warrior is still usually subject to budget constraints. And all those nice amenities really don’t  present a ROI when the economy isn’t absolutely rocking along. 

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Just got off a red eye to barcelona and thought of you seat reclining assholes when I saw this special guy.

He was also Take-Things-Out-Of-My-Overhead-Baggage-11 Times-During-Flight guy.

f8b0618ccdb94cdf1d9cfea1b430f17f.jpg

Cockholster

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Just got off a red eye to barcelona and thought of you seat reclining assholes when I saw this special guy.

He was also Take-Things-Out-Of-My-Overhead-Baggage-11 Times-During-Flight guy.

f8b0618ccdb94cdf1d9cfea1b430f17f.jpg

a) that's terrible

b) I'm sure it's hyperbole but obviously there's a limit on how many times you should get things out of the overhead, regardless of 

c) those seats don't have a seat in front of them under which to stow your personal item.  So, to get anything out of your backpack or whatever, you're going to have to go to the overhead bin.  great for legroom but they suck otherwise.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, FondrenRoad said:

This.

There has never been an entrant at the high end of the market that lasted.  All the ones the stuck were bare bones and cheap.  Americans have made their choice on this. You’d be surprised how many repeat customers the Frontiers and Spirits have.

35 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This.

There has never been an entrant at the high end of the market that lasted.  All the ones the stuck were bare bones and cheap.  Americans have made their choice on this. You’d be surprised how many repeat customers the Frontiers and Spirits have.

I am cheap as fuck when it comes to flying. It's transportation, that is all it is. I will pay more for a nonstop or better route, but that's it.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 7:09 PM, Your Mom said:

Yep, urban legend. Most of the international carriers in this thread have exactly the same pitch as most of the US carriers.  A few have an extra inch or too but only on certain equipment, certainly not across the board. 

That extra inch isn’t exactly life changing. And I’d know about the desire for extra inches... I’m your mom. 

https://www.airlinequality.com/info/seat-pitch-guide/

depends on whether that extra inch is where your shins are or not.  ex: singapore airlines had a footrest that folded down from the back of the seat in front of you.  up, my shins were touching it.  down, it interfered with stretching out my legs under the seat.  probably great for manlets and women, not good for me. 

the US3 are stuck in a captured deathspiral led by aa.  as far as i can tell, i do not believe a single topic discussed in this thread is referenced in any of the Contracts of Carriage of said US3.

thus, commercial travel is now weaponized, everyone against everyone;

therefore, sometimes you make the rules, sometimes the rules make you.

abracadabra.

Let me just add a fuck you to the “fake support dog” people. 

I’m on plane from JFK to SLC that was on runway to take off that now has to go back to gate because their dog is having issues. 

I guess next thing will be emotional support animals for their support dogs. 

The airlines have to get their shit together on this policy. This is ridiculous. 

Going to add easily an hour to the flight. I’ll end up missing connection and client meeting. Jeez. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’m on plane from JFK to SLC that was on runway to take off that now has to go back to gate because their dog is having issues. 

The airlines have to get their shit together on this policy. This is ridiculous. 

Going to add easily an hour to the flight. I’ll end up missing connection and client meeting. Jeez. 

Maybe you need a support animal to deal with the trauma ?

• Like 1

It's not all that easy to get a support animal on a plane now. Maybe you're just an insensitive ahole.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

It's not all that easy to get a support animal on a plane now. Maybe you're just an insensitive ahole.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Well maybe or maybe if you’re unable to train and have a real support dog you shouldn’t buy a vest on amazon, slap it on a French Bulldog then delay an entire airplane when your dipshit untrained dog acts out. 

I’m sensitive to people with legitimate needs that have trained, certified animals. 

The people abusing the system can fuck themselves. 

Edited by BrazilHorn

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Well maybe or maybe if you’re unable to train and have a real support dog you shouldn’t buy a vest on amazon, slap it on a French Bulldog then delay an entire airplane when your dipshit untrained dog acts out. 

I’m sensitive to people with legitimate needs that have trained, certified animals. 

Why do you hate caring, nurturing animals so much ??

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Just don't fuck with my support hippopotamus.

I've had 3 hip replacements on my R hip.  On long flights, it can get stiff as a motherfucker.  On those flights, I'll recline for a certain amount of time to help me stretch/work out the discomfort.  I'll return it to upright after about 20 minutes and repeat as necessary.  You don't like it?  Go fuck yourself. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

• 9 months later...

Victim on victim violence, caught on camera!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7995515/American-Airlines-passenger-shames-traveller-repeatedly-punched-seat-reclined-it.html

American Airlines passenger shames a fellow traveller who repeatedly 'punched' her seat when she reclined it - but social media is divided over who's right

The passenger, Wendi Williams, was flying from New Orleans to Charlotte 

She filmed a passenger repeatedly nudging her seat after she reclined

Wendi posted clip on Twitter but some said she shouldn't have reclined the seat

Edited by clapclapclap

22 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Victim on victim violence, caught on camera!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7995515/American-Airlines-passenger-shames-traveller-repeatedly-punched-seat-reclined-it.html

American Airlines passenger shames a fellow traveller who repeatedly 'punched' her seat when she reclined it - but social media is divided over who's right

The passenger, Wendi Williams, was flying from New Orleans to Charlotte 

She filmed a passenger repeatedly nudging her seat after she reclined

Wendi posted clip on Twitter but some said she shouldn't have reclined the seat

Dude is an asshole.  I would have escalated the fuck out of that situation if someone behind me was doing that shit to me.  He probably doesn't have the balls to do that to a man's seat though.

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't fly enough to have a dog in this fight, but I find it absolutely hilarious that neither of these two have the guts to simply say something.  They both deserve shame. 

Yeah, this is my thought pretty much.  Have a conversation.  Be reasonable people. 

Something tells me she was being a huge bitch about it if the FA sided with him and gave him free drinks.  But he's being a big cunt, too.

Just one more reason to pay more to not have to deal with shit like that.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1