Delta Moves to Limit Seat Reclining

Gatorubet

22 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't fly enough to have a dog in this fight, but I find it absolutely hilarious that neither of these two have the guts to simply say something.  They both deserve shame. 

According to the article:

Wendi claims that when she first reclined her seat, the man asked her to put it back up while he ate - and she complied.

However, when he finished eating, she reclined again and alleges 'he punched my seat about nine times then I started videoing'.

And as the article continues it becomes clear that she is probably a drama queen.

Nevertheless, #TeamRecline.

Edited by clapclapclap
Two Americas
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Fuck people who recline their seat. And fuck the airlines for continuing to shrink the pitch and width of seats  at the same time that Americans are getting taller and somehow more obese. Goddamn I hate flying.

But seriously, they should have flights for people who recline and different flights for civilized people. On the flights for those who recline, they each get one coronavirus victim, so hopefully they all die. Fuck them.

• Like 7

Lulz. Dude was in the last row of seats so he couldn't recline. So gotdamn, if he can't recline, neither should the lady in front. What a bitch of a man. Either pay the extra money for extra leg room, or plan his fucking travel better so that he doesn't have to choose the last row which doesn't recline and is next to the shitter. Something tells me that he's too fucking poor to fly much.

And if the airlines didn't want you reclining, they would make seats which don't recline. Unknowingly I've been on a few of those flights. Fuck that.

And if the person in front of me wants to recline, go right the fuck ahead. May you have a restful flight and sleep, kind sir/ma'am.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Fuck people who recline their seat. And fuck the airlines for continuing to shrink the pitch and width of seats  at the same time that Americans are getting taller and somehow more obese. Goddamn I hate flying.

But seriously, they should have flights for people who recline and different flights for civilized people. On the flights for those who recline, they each get one coronavirus victim, so hopefully they all die. Fuck them.

Or you know, you could pay the extra $20 bucks for seats with extra leg room. Win/win for everyone.

If the seat is able to recline, I'm reclining. How the fuck else are you supposed to comfortably sleep on planes?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

i was flying back from london, and somehow managed to not get my typical aisle seat that i require to stretch my legs. i'm in the middle section of four seats. i'm not a giant, but i am 6'1", and recliners kind of piss me off. anyways, i'm in my seat, when down the aisle comes this giant of a man, probably 6'6" - 6'8". he sees me in the seat next to him and he says "aw, christ, another tall dude next to me, i knew that's how it was going to be." he was a brit rugby player, so he wasn't exactly skinny either. anyways, there was a woman in front of him who eventually tried to recline, but he didn't let her. i mean, his knees were already jammed against her seat back, and he was using his hand to prevent her reclining. she was fairly petite as well, it's not like she was squashed into the seat. ended out being a great flight - dude didn't drink but he kept ordering red wine, doubling up my supply the whole way, and we had a great old time talking. one of the shortest 10 hour flights i've ever had.

i think the seat design is to blame. it shouldn't recline at all. it should be comfortable and slightly pitched, instead of a goddamn church pew, but i imagine that there are safety ramifications about sitting straight up for takeoff and landing.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i was flying back from london, and somehow managed to not get my typical aisle seat that i require to stretch my legs. i'm in the middle section of four seats. i'm not a giant, but i am 6'1", and recliners kind of piss me off. anyways, i'm in my seat, when down the aisle comes this giant of a man, probably 6'6" - 6'8". he sees me in the seat next to him and he says "aw, christ, another tall dude next to me, i knew that's how it was going to be." he was a brit rugby player, so he wasn't exactly skinny either. anyways, there was a woman in front of him who eventually tried to recline, but he didn't let her. i mean, his knees were already jammed against her seat back, and he was using his hand to prevent her reclining. she was fairly petite as well, it's not like she was squashed into the seat. ended out being a great flight - dude didn't drink but he kept ordering red wine, doubling up my supply the whole way, and we had a great old time talking. one of the shortest 10 hour flights i've ever had.

i think the seat design is to blame. it shouldn't recline at all. it should be comfortable and slightly pitched, instead of a goddamn church pew, but i imagine that there are safety ramifications about sitting straight up for takeoff and landing.

Sucks for the dude but there's not a chance in hell that I'm sitting upright for the entire duration of an international flight. FUCK THAT!

And if the dude is that tall, then he already knows he's going to have problems fitting into seats. Pay the extra money for business class and make everyone including him more comfortable.

I’m a non-recliner, out of courtesy, but I’m not a total bitch about it if the person in front of me reclines.   Im just not buying that a 3 inch recline is going to give you a more restful sleep or provide a superior level of comfort.    Did none of your mothers ever make you sit up straight at the table when you were kids?

I’ve had two back surgeries, dealt with sciatica, pinched nerves, tight hips, and other random fuckedupness in my back and have never found the recline to be any more comfortable than upright. It’s just not much of a difference at all.  I sleep on airplanes all the time, upright.   Do y’all recline your dining room chairs?  Recline at your desk at work?  Recline at the bar and in restaurants.  Bunch of gansta lean drivers up in here I guess?   It’s just not that hard to sit upright in a cushioned chair for a few hours.  But if you do recline,  I’ll quietly judge you no need to cause a bunch of drama about it.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Sucks for the dude but there's not a chance in hell that I'm sitting upright for the entire duration of an international flight. FUCK THAT!

And if the dude is that tall, then he already knows he's going to have problems fitting into seats. Pay the extra money for business class and make everyone including him more comfortable.

Don't even have to go to Business.  Just pay for EP and his issues are solved.

I never recline my airline seat and I never have any trouble falling asleep.  In fact, as soon as the flight takes off I'm out like a light, but I can fall asleep anywhere.  My ex used to drag me to this antique auction place in Rosenberg and the auctioneer used to laugh at me because as soon as he started the auction I would dose off sitting straight up in a hard metal folding chair while he was yelling and banging his gavel.

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Or you know, you could pay the extra $20 bucks for seats with extra leg room. Win/win for everyone.

If the seat is able to recline, I'm reclining. How the fuck else are you supposed to comfortably sleep on planes?

Trust me, I pay up to $75 each way on Jet Blue for more room, but I'd love to know which airlines only charge $20. And sometimes, last minute flights make seat selection troublesome.

I didnt give a fuck before the airlines started cramming seats together like human jenga and providing tray tables the size of a deck of cards. Move the seats back to 36 inch pitch and you can recline away.

• Like 1

Reclining only provides a modest improvement in comfort for the person reclining, but it produces a substantial amount of distress for the person in the seat behind, so the net effect when someone reclines is a decrease in overall utility. Put another way, if the total discomfort level of all the passengers could be quantified, the cumulative collective discomfort would be minimized if there is no reclining.

Edited by Paper_jam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I never recline my airline seat and I never have any trouble falling asleep.  In fact, as soon as the flight takes off I'm out like a light, but I can fall asleep anywhere.  My ex used to drag me to this antique auction place in Rosenberg and the auctioneer used to laugh at me because as soon as he started the auction I would dose off sitting straight up in a hard metal folding chair while he was yelling and banging his gavel.

I can also sleep almost anywhere at almost any time. There was no "almost" before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I bet you have it too.  Consider asking your doctor to prescribe a sleep study and get a CPAP machine. 

I remember air travel in the 70's. There was plenty of leg room, the stewardesses were young, pretty and wore miniskirts. Today they've crammed in 30% more seats and it's the same "flight attendants", but they aren't young, pretty and thank god not in miniskirts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I remember air travel in the 70's. There was plenty of leg room, the stewardesses were young, pretty and wore miniskirts. Today they've crammed in 30% more seats and it's the same "flight attendants", but they aren't young, pretty and thank god not in miniskirts.

Fly Air Asia and report back.

I only recline if the person in front of me reclines. Its like when someone parks too close, on or just over the white line of a parking spot. You have to park a little bit off of yours to fit, so the next person does, and so on and so forth and the guy in the last row is left holding the bag.

• Like 1

Lmao

49 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I only recline if the person in front of me reclines. Its like when someone parks too close, on or just over the white line of a parking spot. You have to park a little bit off of yours to fit, so the next person does, and so on and so forth and the guy in the last row is left holding the bag.

Yet someone was always the first one to park incorrectly, and inevitably, he ends up with the best parking spot. You're either a leader or you're a follower. That's why I always bring an allen wrench on the plane, sit in the aisle seat, and recline a cool and comfortable 12 inches. Let the cards fall where they may. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Fly Air Asia and report back.

I won't be flying any airline with "Asia, Turkey or Malaysia" in the name. But point taken.

To back my OP, I remember an actual football game breaking out on a Southwest HOU - DAL Friday night flight in the mid 70's. It was a 45 minute rage and nobody had any problems with it. Positive several people got MHC membership. Those were the days.

Have kids. You'll be able to fall asleep anywhere in any position at any time
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I won't be flying any airline with "Asia, Turkey or Malaysia" in the name. But point taken.

To back my OP, I remember an actual football game breaking out on a Southwest HOU - DAL Friday night flight in the mid 70's. It was a 45 minute rage and nobody had any problems with it. Positive several people got MHC membership. Those were the days.

I can remember some pretty raucous Southwest flights even in the 90’s.

Thanks alot Bin Laden.

the only time I recline is if I’m on an overnight flight to Europe or from Hawaii. Otherwise, I don’t do it out of courtesy to those behind me because I don’t like it when people in front of me do it.

That being said- I can’t believe there’s not more outrage over what this guy is doing. Can he possibly not be an asshole for 3 hours and watch his movie on his phone without trying to start shit with someone? Is it that hard to be a civilized human being for that long? If it pisses him off that bad, spend the extra money and upgrade your seat. Until then, this woman was given the right to recline when the airline made it possible.

And did this lady have to put his shit on blast by filming it and posting to Twitter? Can she let this shit go without trying to start a shitstorm? I assume the flight attendant gave him a cocktail hoping to calm him down so he would quit bothering her rather than “rewarding” him but that doesn’t fit her narrative. Sounds like this was a situation where two miserable pieces of shit got sat right next to each other. There’s not much common courtesy left in the world.

My wife reclines on flights and if this guy was doing this to my wife or kids, I’d do a lot more than just film this asshole. I agree that he’s likely a giant pussy that wouldn’t do this to a guy or a woman traveling with a guy.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I can remember some pretty raucous Southwest flights even in the 90’s.

Thanks alot Bin Laden.

Go back even further.  Back with SWA actually had an identity and gave zero fucks.  They got into a pissing match with other airlines, price war ensued.  Competitors slashed prices.  Unable to match and stay in business, they pivoted and offered everyone on the flight a 5th of whiskey....at one point, beoming the largest liquor distributor in the state until the other airlines were forced to raise their fare prices back up.  

13 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

My wife reclines on flights and if this guy was doing this to my wife or kids, I’d do a lot more than just film this asshole. I agree that he’s likely a giant pussy that wouldn’t do this to a guy or a woman traveling with a guy.

This.  Some guy styarts punching the seat of my wife/kids, I'm going to choke a knot in his ass. 

On a broader level, Twitter and other social media sites seem to give people this sense of immunity to consequences.  They operate as if there will be no reactions.  Then when there are reactions - they are agast that someone had the audacity to act.  

As a tall guy, I never recline.  I feel like it moves your knees closer to the tray table.  I fly often so I have status and end up with extra legroom anyways.

Although last summer I had to take an overnight to Dublin and ended up in coach on Delta.  The row in front of me all reclined and I was literally trapped in my window seat.  It was rough.  The Guinness at McDaid's helped when I landed.

In the 80’s, and maybe later, if the flight was more than 15 min late, which was often, beer was free. And in 81 or 82 they got into trouble for serving 5 or 6 beers to a minor on a flight from Love Field to some place like Abilene. Hell, now you barely get one beer on the HOU-LUV flight.

35 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

As a tall guy, I never recline.  I feel like it moves your knees closer to the tray table.  I fly often so I have status and end up with extra legroom anyways.

Although last summer I had to take an overnight to Dublin and ended up in coach on Delta.  The row in front of me all reclined and I was literally trapped in my window seat.  It was rough.  The Guinness at McDaid's helped when I landed.

Delta/Virgin-Atlantic to London over the Holidays.  I was fine as long as I was on the isle.  I can swing a leg out and stretch as needed.  I was actually impressed.  Decent room.  Watched bunch of movies.  Even the food wasn't bad.  Then AA from NY to Dallas.  Miserable...

• Like 1

A person who pays for a seat has the right to use every feature of that purchase including air vent, TV monitor, bathroom, overhead bin, and seat recline. Every person who buys a ticket is well aware of the features of an airplane seat. End of story.

If you chose to not recline then that's just a courtesy. If you act like a toddler and throw a tantrum because someone does: then don't fly.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

On some planes, the seat slides forward while reclining so you mostly use your own space, and those definitely put your knees closer to the tray table.  I think only Asian carriers have that though.  

• Like 1

My best recline preventer is to direct the air vent full blast on the head of the person reclining in front of me.  75% of the time, works every time.

I tend to agree that if the seat has a recline function the person in the seat has a right to use it, but should be aware of those around them when choosing whether to exercise that right or not.  I generally do not recline my seat as a courtesy, but don't get bent out of shape if the person in front of me chooses to do so.  I really do use the air vent thing as mentioned above if it is drink / meal / snack time though as that is a time when a little more space really is necessary.

52 minutes ago, midtown said:

A person who pays for a seat has the right to use every feature of that purchase including air vent, TV monitor, bathroom, overhead bin, and seat recline. Every person who buys a ticket is well aware of the features of an airplane seat. End of story.

If you chose to not recline then that's just a courtesy. If you act like a toddler and throw a tantrum because someone does: then don't fly.

"Right" is a strong term.  The airline certainly won't give you any money back if any of those features are nonfunctional.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Which means he bought his ticket Economy Plus, which means he was too cheap to spend an extra $20 to choose his seat.  And that's her fault, too.

i mean, there are a lot of assumptions as to how this guy ended up next to the shitter in the last row. sometimes you got to go somewhere last minute and that's the seat available. 

i mean, he's a sociopathic asshole for hitting her seat, but assuming he's a cheap bastard as well is a bridge too far for me. i've had to sit back there a time or two, and if i could've upgraded, i would have. sometimes, you just get he short end of the stick.

He's flying on American.  American currently reserves the back of the plane for Economy tickets.  It's pretty impossible to sit on the back row of an American flight now if you buy something other than an Economy ticket.   Maybe that was the only seat they had left when he bought it, but it was an Economy ticket.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

This.  Some guy styarts punching the seat of my wife/kids, I'm going to choke a knot in his ass. 

On a broader level, Twitter and other social media sites seem to give people this sense of immunity to consequences.  They operate as if there will be no reactions.  Then when there are reactions - they are agast that someone had the audacity to act.  

That bitch ass wouldn't have started any shit at all if the woman had a husband, boyfriend, brother, whatever sitting next to her. Because he is a bitch ass, he only starts shit with people who he things woudn't be able to choke a knot in his ass. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He's flying on American.  American currently reserves the back of the plane for Economy tickets.  It's pretty impossible to sit on the back row of an American flight now if you buy something other than an Economy ticket.   Maybe that was the only seat they had left when he bought it, but it was an Economy ticket.  

well, yeah, i'm not quibbling with that. i never have to sit in the back unless it's last minute on american, because i get the free upgrades to the better seats. 

but that is definitely one of if not the most miserable seats on a flight.

doesn't excuse him hitting the back of her seat.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, hayden_horn said:

next to him and he says "aw, christ, another tall dude next to me, i knew that's how it was going to be." .

Does that mean he prefers short people next to him because he's tall and thinks it's fine to spread his knees into someone else's space because he's tall? If so, fuck those motherfuckers too

Flew from LAX to Tokyo.  Short, fun little 12hr flight.  Getting settled in.  Isle seat as usual.  Gear stowed.  Laptop and backpack at the ready.  My isle-mate makes her way down the plane, checks her ticket, grabs her TODDLER who was behind her and has the seat next to me, and they both sit down.

In my head I'm like JFC.....are you kidding me!  I see this other guy she passes looking back, shakes his head, and smiles...fucker.  

*and in todays lesson about not judging a book by it's cover.  Possibly the world's most well behaved kid as it turns out.  She just sat there.  Colored.  Played.  Read.  Only time she cried was in her mom's lap trying to sleep.  Wasn't loud at all.