Delta Moves to Limit Seat Reclining

Gatorubet

On 2/12/2020 at 5:15 PM, Blotto said:

Trust me, I pay up to $75 each way on Jet Blue for more room, but I'd love to know which airlines only charge $20. And sometimes, last minute flights make seat selection troublesome.

I had to book a flight earlier this week to Atlanta to see a client next week, pretty last minute. I usually upgrade at the very least to the extra legroom but all of it was taken. Happens all the time, so the "pay more for extra room!" is nonsense. And I'm not Gucci enough to expense first back to a client.

Anyway, I'm on team "people who recline on domestic flights are assholes". The few exceptions would be hangover flights back from Vegas or NOLA.

I'm not going to be passive aggressive about it though. I'll either ask the person to bring it up a bit, or just recline mine.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

I'm 6'6'' and that guy is a dick.  Personally I think reclining is uncool of people but throwing a bitch fit about it isn't the way to handle it.  Suck it up and move on.  

The interesting thing to consider is have what airlines/manufacturers done an abusive practice?  In order to keep prices low and profits up they have continued to cram in seats industry wide.  Does that practice single out for "abuse" the lower middle class tall guy (or gal) who can no more control his/her height than somebody controls skin color, gender (sorta) etc and doesn't have the means to just buy a higher fare ticket but needs to get across the country in a fast manner that avails itself to the general population.   Now this isn't some burning crisis or really that big a deal at all (ok so you're uncomfortable and your knees get mashed for 3 hours you will live) BUT I feel like there have been a lot of other pretty small in the grand scheme of things issues argued on this front. 

Since nobody generally thinks of tall people as a put upon "class" (and hey let's be clear it's pretty fucking awesome 98% of the time to be tall) this issue that fits that discussion just as much as some of the others never really gets talked about.

Just some Valentines Day mental masturbation....

I am super fortunate that 100% of my air travel (and I am on road 80-90% of time) is in 1st class. Has been a lifesaver. I am 6'3" and I did YEARS of travel on SWA and at times it was an absolute beating.

The Combination of: TSA Pre - Clear - Airport Clubs - 1st Class make business travel as good as it can be. Where I am now is just tired of the constant stream of fucktards that have zero clue as to how airports work. I really have turned into Clooney from "Up in the air" (minus the great hair and good looks).

The dude who threw the fit is a total tool and needs some anger mgmt counseling. People who recline are a fact of life in air travel, you just learn to deal with it. You frankly really cannot work on a laptop in coach anymore due to seat size. Get a tablet or convertible if you are really trying to get anything done in the air.(unless you are in 1st or a bulkhead)

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, Paper_jam said:

Reclining only provides a modest improvement in comfort for the person reclining, but it produces a substantial amount of distress for the person in the seat behind, so the net effect when someone reclines is a decrease in overall utility. Put another way, if the total discomfort level of all the passengers could be quantified, the cumulative collective discomfort would be minimized if there is no reclining.

But then you have to do the math on how many people would value their own slight convenience ahead of not wanting to screw over a stranger.

Judging by people's inability/unwillingness to navigate a shopping cart without being a totally oblivious, self-absorbed twat, I'd put that number right around 95%.

Edited by aggie08

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

a total oblivious, self-absorbed twat

I think people like that are, for the most part, not actively thinking “fuck the guy behind me, I want my comfort”, but they just lack awareness. They are incapable of visualizing how their actions impact others. You see it all the time in the streets, at the supermarket. People “double-park” their shopping cart such that nobody can get through. They are not thinking “I’m parking here because fuck you”. They are just not aware. There’s probably some people out there actively being evil, like, they do what they do on purpose, but the vast majority have to be clueless.

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

I think people like that are, for the most part, not actively thinking “fuck the guy behind me, I want my comfort”, but they just lack awareness. They are incapable of visualizing how their actions impact others. You see it all the time in the streets, at the supermarket. People “double-park” their shopping cart such that nobody can get through. They are not thinking “I’m parking here because fuck you”. They are just not aware. There’s probably some people out there actively being evil, like, they do what they do on purpose, but the vast majority have to be clueless.

Completely agree. I don't think they're assholes, just clueless. And it's usually combined with a staggering lack of peripheral vision.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Anyway, I'm on team "people who recline on domestic flights are assholes". The few exceptions would be hangover flights back from Vegas or NOLA.

Red eyes or early morning flights as well.  I'm talking like, pre-7am flights. 

• Like 1

This might be true, but if you slam your seat back at a hundred miles per hour you are an utter piece of shit. That shit is intentional.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

It's a dick move for sure, but not assault.

The definition of assault varies by jurisdiction, but is generally defined as intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. Physical injury is not required.   https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assault

Generally, the essential elements of assault consist of an act intended to cause an apprehension of harmful or offensive contact that causes apprehension of such contact in the victim.

The act required for an assault must be overt. Although words alone are insufficient, they might create an assault when coupled with some action that indicates the ability to carry out the threat. A mere threat to harm is not an assault; however, a threat combined with a raised fist might be sufficient if it causes a reasonable apprehension of harm in the victim.Intent is an essential element of assault. In tort law, it can be specific intent—if the assailant intends to cause the apprehension of harmful or offensive contact in the victim—or general intent—if he or she intends to do the act that causes such apprehension. In addition, the intent element is satisfied if it is substantially certain, to a reasonable person, that the act will cause the result. A defendant who holds a gun to a victim's head possesses the requisite intent, since it is substantially certain that this act will produce an apprehension in the victim. In all cases, intent to kill or harm is irrelevant.

I'm not in criminal law but my crim law prof would've called what that dude did an assault. In the real world it depends on the law of the jurisdiction. There are different levels of assault and this is the lowest. It's probably also an intentional tort for which the guy can get sued; if she does sue him, he'd almost certainly lose, though the damages would probably be no more than the price of her plane ticket. If American Airlines ignored and rewarded his bad behavior they'll probably have liability too though again it's difficult to see it being a large amount.

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

I'm not in criminal law but my crim law prof would've called what that dude did an assault. In the real world it depends on the law of the jurisdiction. There are different levels of assault and this is the lowest. It's probably also an intentional tort for which the guy can get sued; if she does sue him, he'd almost certainly lose, though the damages would probably be no more than the price of her plane ticket. If American Airlines ignored and rewarded his bad behavior they'll probably have liability too though again it's difficult to see it being a large amount.

It's always federal jurisdiction on a plane. In the air at least. 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, BabaYaga said:

Flew from LAX to Tokyo.  Short, fun little 12hr flight.  Getting settled in.  Isle seat as usual.  Gear stowed.  Laptop and backpack at the ready.  My isle-mate makes her way down the plane, checks her ticket, grabs her TODDLER who was behind her and has the seat next to me, and they both sit down.

In my head I'm like JFC.....are you kidding me!  I see this other guy she passes looking back, shakes his head, and smiles...fucker.  

*and in todays lesson about not judging a book by it's cover.  Possibly the world's most well behaved kid as it turns out.  She just sat there.  Colored.  Played.  Read.  Only time she cried was in her mom's lap trying to sleep.  Wasn't loud at all.  

* Aisle

*aisle