google fiber

futureman

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Is that speed for wifi or ethernet?  You're also limited to the speed limit of the wifi card your device uses.  300Mb/S is solid for wifi on a 1GB internet connection.

It's the wifi.  The only thing in this house hard wire is the downstairs TV.  Everything else is wifi.   3 laptops; 3 phones, Goog'e hub, nest, thermostat, and upstairs TV all on wifi. .  I guess its all good and I can sell my router. 

just on TV.  amber alerts, weather, etc.. all the other cable companies i've had let you exit out of them but google doesn't.  you can change the channel and the sound goes away but you still have a black box over the top third of the screen.  really fucking annoying in the 4th quarter of a game.  first world probs.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

So my neighborhood in SA FINALLY got fiber to the house.  Had it installed yesterday.    I'm sick of Spectrum and their service was not good.   and there modems are garbage and yes I've bought my own in the past.     To my question.   I am getting +300 wifi to all 5 devices using the google wifi routers.  which is great.   I do have a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 Router which should be good up to 1750 MPS.  Can I swap out the google routers for the netgear and expect higher up and downs?

I'm in KC so maybe equipment is different, but the Google fiber box they give you here is pretty bad for wifi. I hooked up a middle of the road router and got much better performance. 

*edit* the performance deficiency wasn't just speeds, but also range, and dropped signals 

Edited by seven

I don't have the TV service.  I'm sticking with my Sling, Netflix, Amazon prime, and HD Antenna combo.

They gave me two google wifi routers.  One right next to the box and one upstairs near the bedrooms.   My kids are getting the highest rates but their laptops are pretty new.

Just now, hookemATL said:

Seriously...fuck those Amber alerts and missing kids.  Tryna watch the 4th quarter of this Marshall v. Coastal Carolina game goddammit.

yeah, but if i'm sitting on my ass at home in austin then i'm not much help looking for a '87 lincoln last seen in amarillo.

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

yeah, but if i'm sitting on my ass at home in austin then i'm not much help looking for a '87 lincoln last seen in amarillo.

The alerts are stupid for TV viewers. I'm not seeing a car anywhere except the for the 100' stretch of street I can see out my living room window.  To be honest, I'm not going to turn my head to look.

• Hook 'Em 1

For you legacy guys in Austin, GF now allows you to ditch the GF Network box completely. Just select the Use your own box on the manage plan page. They will ship you a power adapter for the wall jack, but it just uses a micro-USB, which I have plenty lying around. Then you can plug your router directly into the wall jack. No having to set up VLAN profiles or using a managed switch. One less piece of hardware you have to mess with, and no double NAT issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

After all these years, still get a "Austin sign-ups are coming" when I check in.

But Grande has been treating us right, and every year or two, we ask what deals we can get as long time customers, and they give us enough to keep us around.

I LOVED Grande when I could get it. 

• Like 1

They can’t finish laying fiber in my neighborhood fast enough. Let’s get to the point GF starts taking enrollments so I can throw my money at you.

I haven’t had any major problems with Spectrum but GF is advertising significantly higher speeds for less money.

53 minutes ago, swraith said:

They can’t finish laying fiber in my neighborhood fast enough. Let’s get to the point GF starts taking enrollments so I can throw my money at you.

I haven’t had any major problems with Spectrum but GF is advertising significantly higher speeds for less money.

I'm switching from Spectrum but Google fiber is not an option. Spectrum TV can use Roku but my issues are: On start-up it defaults to Spectrum News. It is always buffering and requires reboots which generally don't fix the problem. The video disappears randomly and often with a screen message of "do you want to continue watching". The only other option for internet is ATT which sucks ass and is too slow for my needs. So, I am switching from Spectrum Ultra to Spectrum Gig and getting Dish Network. It costs a lot more, I think about $200/mo for both, but hopefully the experience will be better.

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I like Grande fine, but the absolute best thing about Google Fiber is the fucking price doesn't change.  $70/month forever.  Don't have to call every 6 months and shake them down to a lower price.  That was all I needed to switch.

Google didn’t build fiber to make money off the monthly fee. They want the data

• Hook 'Em 1

Family has Google Fiber in Barton Hills at the special promotional price of $300 total for 7 years which was offered when it was first run about 2-3 years ago. It is very slow and the wifi box is only 2G and can't be replaced. Can barely watch YT at 1080p, max of 500 megabytes download, and there is a noticeable lag when surfing around. I understand the promotional deal wouldn't come with wicked fast speed, but it is very slow and annoying that paid fiber is purposely nerfed when public housing gets higher speeds for free.

That is barely paid fiber. You are paying for less than 6 months of any other provider for a service life of 7 years and bitching? That is amazing. Pay for the poors shit and get that shit. Jfc 

This is actually a political post it seems. Go fuck yourself with that shit. Less than 50 bucks a year for internet is a steal. Sorry impoverished people get a better deal, allegedly. Also, fuck off asshole.

Edited by HOOKEM4
fuck ou
  • Like 2

That is barely paid fiber. You are paying for less than 6 months of any other provider for a service life of 7 years and bitching? That is amazing. Pay for the poors shit and get that shit. Jfc 

This is actually a political post it seems. Go fuck yourself with that shit. Less than 50 bucks a year for internet is a steal. Sorry impoverished people get a better deal, allegedly. Also, fuck off asshole.

No kidding. What did they expect.

Google will one day offer free broadband in exchange for placing cameras in your home (minus the bathrooms/bedrooms).  Kitchen, living room, dining room, and they livestream it on YouTube.  It will pay for itself, because enough people will do it.

That's where we are headed.  And if that is an episode of Black Mirror, they owe me royalties.

2 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Family has Google Fiber in Barton Hills at the special promotional price of $300 total for 7 years which was offered when it was first run about 2-3 years ago. It is very slow and the wifi box is only 2G and can't be replaced. Can barely watch YT at 1080p, max of 500 megabytes download, and there is a noticeable lag when surfing around. I understand the promotional deal wouldn't come with wicked fast speed, but it is very slow and annoying that paid fiber is purposely nerfed when public housing gets higher speeds for free.

If you can't easily stream high definition with 50 Mbps, much less 500, then you have something set up horribly, horribly wrong.

And I'll add fuck off to the last part of your post.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Google will one day offer free broadband in exchange for placing cameras in your home (minus the bathrooms/bedrooms).  Kitchen, living room, dining room, and they livestream it on YouTube.  It will pay for itself, because enough people will do it.

That's where we are headed.  And if that is an episode of Black Mirror, they owe me royalties.

Yeah that new Amazon Ring drone that flys around your house with a camera......what privacy concerns?

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

If you can't easily stream high definition with 50 Mbps, much less 500, then you have something set up horribly, horribly wrong.

And I'll add fuck off to the last part of your post.

6 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Sorry, meant 500 kilobytes download, and the set ups and specs have been gone over with Google, who tried to blame wifi usage though most users are within 15 feet of the router. As stated, I understand promotional fiber would be the slowest, but it is nothing like what was promised (5Mbs) regardless of cheapness. And there is nothing political about stating the facts of the matter.

44 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Sorry, meant 500 kilobytes download, and the set ups and specs have been gone over with Google, who tried to blame wifi usage though most users are within 15 feet of the router. As stated, I understand promotional fiber would be the slowest, but it is nothing like what was promised (5Mbs) regardless of cheapness. And there is nothing political about stating the facts of the matter.

It costs less than $3.60 a month, what do you expect? 

3 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

It costs less than $3.60 a month, what do you expect? 

For it to be the 5Mbs that was promised, and as stated for the third time, I understand that promotional internet would be the slowest. I didn't order it, nor do I pay for it, I'm just the one asked to "fix" it. As this thread is about Google Fiber, these are my experiences with it. YMMV obviously.

I've had Google Fiber here in San Antonio for about 8 months now and am pretty happy with it.  I had spectrum before that and really didn't have problems with it other than the pricing.  However, having to call every 6 months or a year and renegotiate with someone who can barely speak my language was bullshit.  I opted to pay the early termination fee and go with GF.

It's quite fast, I get download speeds of close to the promised 1G on the desktop that's wired to the router.  Apple TVs, iPads, iPhones, all get 300+ speeds.  But, nothing I do requires that kind of speed but I'm paying a cheaper price so that's not a bad thing.  As someone said, even 50 is plenty for HD viewing.

The only real con is that if you have a lot of construction in your area, at least once a month some idiot cuts the cable and you lose service for a few hours.  Google will refund you for the downtime.  I can use my iPhone personal hotspot as a backup but its inconvenient and not optimal if you are in the middle of a video conference.

we had the same thing happening for the last 6 months. i chalked it up to extra devices for home school. it finally all crapped out on tuesday.  they came today and replaced everything, so hopefully it improves.  if not we'll be looking into a boost as well.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:54 PM, Zone Read said:

The only real con is that if you have a lot of construction in your area, at least once a month some idiot cuts the cable and you lose service for a few hours.  Google will refund you for the downtime.  I can use my iPhone personal hotspot as a backup but its inconvenient and not optimal if you are in the middle of a video conference.

Yeah, they're slapping another one street neighborhood in a little ways down the road (on Prue Rd in SA) and the service was down all the time while they were doing the sidewalk/entrance/whatever type work right there where Google ran the lines.

6 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Yeah, they're slapping another one street neighborhood in a little ways down the road (on Prue Rd in SA) and the service was down all the time while they were doing the sidewalk/entrance/whatever type work right there where Google ran the lines.

Yep that's my area.  Seems like its been pretty reliable the last few weeks (knocking on wood).

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Updawg said:

What are you using for your WiFi? A mesh network or just a single wireless access point?

just the single point.  we were avoiding going to mesh because we were going to lose what we had taped on our dvr, which included a show my wife was on a few years back,  now that it's gone we'll probably go mesh.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:26 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I've been seeing a lot of markings on the roads in my area (Rosedale) and was wondering if it was Google.

But when I check my address, I still get "Austin sign-ups are coming", which is what I've gotten for years.

So just went back and looked.  They marked the streets up in our area in July, and here in October they are saying it's within the next month or so.  I don't know if that's fast or not, but 3-4 months probably seems about right.

• 2 months later...

Just had Google Fiber installed today.

When I finally get around to using it a few hours later, I only get 100 MB down and 90 up. I still have my AT&T service and on the same devices it’s 350 each direction. When direct connecting with an Ethernet cable I get the full 950 MB so it’s something with their wifi setup. So, a repair tech is coming out tomorrow. Not a good look, Google.

I will say their support is great. Didn’t wait more than 3 minutes on chat or on the phone. Unlike AT&T which is measured in hours.

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just had Google Fiber installed today.

When I finally get around to using it a few hours later, I only get 100 MB down and 90 up. I still have my AT&T service and on the same devices it’s 350 each direction. When direct connecting with an Ethernet cable I get the full 950 MB so it’s something with their wifi setup. So, a repair tech is coming out tomorrow. Not a good look, Google.

I will say their support is great. Didn’t wait more than 3 minutes on chat or on the phone. Unlike AT&T which is measured in hours.

Are you using the WiFi from their cable boxes? It's TERRIBLE. Low signal strength, etc. Get a better wifi access point and your experience will improve markedly.

Are you using the WiFi from their cable boxes? It's TERRIBLE. Low signal strength, etc. Get a better wifi access point and your experience will improve markedly.

No cable boxes. Just straight fiber internet via their mesh wifi network system. Tested it on my neighbors wifi and get 380 MB each way on their setup that’s identical to mine. I’ll let their tech figure it out tomorrow.

An update...

I was able to fix the issue by rebooting the fiber wall outlet and waiting 10 minutes prior to plugging in the first mesh satellite.  Waited another 10 minutes before plugging in the 2nd.  At the first wifi satellite, I get 450 MB up and down but at the 2nd, which is 25 feet away, I get 150 MB.  The Google Fiber technician told me that's to be expected since their mesh technology is vastly inferior to the Netgear Orbi which I used with AT&T.  The Orbi gave me 300 MB at any connection point.  The trade off is that the Google mesh system never goes down and there's no settings to tweak. Just plug in and go.  The Orbi, in my experience, is a pain in the ass about 1-2 times a month with satellites dropping off unexpectedly or a firmware update failing and completely being offline until a complete reboot.  He did say the Orbi has issues when connected to another router, which was my set up with AT&T.

I think I may try using the Orbi with Google Fiber and seeing what that experience is like since the Orbi would be router and maybe that would fix my issues I've had in the past.