School me on the Grand Canyon

Wally Fairway

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update (photos to follow)

Sedona was a cool place to drive through, Grand Canyon is unimaginably vast but crowded and if I go back it will be to the North Rim, Monuments Valley is not worth the side trip, Bryce Canyon is an amazing place (and the Fairway family favorite), Zion has about 1/2 the trails closed so the open ones are super crowded (I want to go back, but later in the year when they have time to clear more trails & the Narrows water flow is past winter melt)

I did South Rim to North Rim in a day hike in October last year.  Started at Bright Angel and went up the North Kaibab.  It was great but tough.  I wouldn't do it again without more training.  North to South is slightly easier because the South Rim is lower.  But we did South to North for whatever reason.  Hit the trail at 6am and finished just past 6pm.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to see if I can get any current actionable intell.  Trip planned for Week 3 of June. What are current crowds like, are shuttles running,  What is still closed?  Also trying to hit up Page, Antelope canyon.   Thank you in advance. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:19 PM, CDAK said:

I did South Rim to North Rim in a day hike in October last year.  Started at Bright Angel and went up the North Kaibab.  It was great but tough.  I wouldn't do it again without more training.  North to South is slightly easier because the South Rim is lower.  But we did South to North for whatever reason.  Hit the trail at 6am and finished just past 6pm.

Taking a shot in the dark here as your post is over a year old. 

What did you do to train? I’m considering Rim to Rim like you (though N to S). I’ve got a 12 week plan but am a bit worried I’ll be miserable. I welcome your thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

What did you do to train? I’m considering Rim to Rim like you (though N to S). I’ve got a 12 week plan but am a bit worried I’ll be miserable. I welcome your thoughts. 

Where are you located? If in Austin, start hiking River Place nature trail. Tons of elevation change, and got me in great shape to summit Guad peak two June’s ago. If I remember correctly, two trips is the equivalent of summiting Guad peak in elevation (I only ever did it once in a day).

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, CoachTex said:

Bumping this thread to see if I can get any current actionable intell.  Trip planned for Week 3 of June. What are current crowds like, are shuttles running,  What is still closed?  Also trying to hit up Page, Antelope canyon.   Thank you in advance. 

I can't comment on current GC conditions, but if you do Antelope Canyon, and the crowds are typical, you are essentially herded through narrow passages like cattle while your guide attempts to tutor everyone on how to configure their phone camera to get the best shots.  You likely get a better experience if you pay for the photographer tour, but it is pricey.  Either way, it's still worth doing, but set your expectations accordingly.  If you do get up to the Page area, make sure to swing by Horseshoe Bend.  It is worth the hour or two.

I was looking into this a few weeks ago for an August family trip.   I figured if you do the Grand Canyon you should probably raft the fucker and see as much of it as you can.  After some research I came across a company that gives you all kinds of info and helps you select an outfitter. 

https://riversandoceans.com/

We were looking at a 3 day deal where you hike into the canyon and helicopter out.  Rest of the week could be spent hiking other spots.  

Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

1 minute ago, Mach 1 said:

I was looking into this a few weeks ago for an August family trip.   I figured if you do the Grand Canyon you should probably raft the fucker and see as much of it as you can.  After some research I came across a company that gives you all kinds of info and helps you select an outfitter. 

https://riversandoceans.com/

We were looking at a 3 day deal where you hike into the canyon and helicopter out.  Rest of the week could be spent hiking other spots.  

Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

This might be a case where CORONA actually helps your travel plans.  There is always high demand for the rafting trips.  You usually have to plan at least a year ahead.  If it is on your bucket list, you may want to grab a spot if there are some available. 

Just now, idigTexas said:

This might be a case where CORONA actually helps your travel plans.  There is always high demand for the rafting trips.  You usually have to plan at least a year ahead.  If it is on your bucket list, you may want to grab a spot if there are some available. 

This right here. If you can book one do it !!!  

Where are you planning to lodge ?  We did Under Canvas south of the canyon, and had a blast.  It's on the pricey side for a wall tent, but a very cool experience.  We loved it.  My other choice would be to stay at one of the old lodges, those Nation park lodges are bucket list items for me.

Just now, Mach 1 said:

Haven't gone far enough into it on lodging. When you request a pamphlet a Rivers and Oceans person contacts you directly to work out specifics.  I'll call her Monday and see what they have available.

Definitely check out Under Canvas as an option. They have about 8-9 locations all over the country.  Really cool set up.  We stayed there in late September last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Definitely check out Under Canvas as an option. They have about 8-9 locations all over the country.  Really cool set up.  We stayed there in late September last year.

Just Googled it.  That looks bad ass, definitely what we're looking for.

I did the Upper Antelope photo tour with a friend, which I don’t even think is offered anymore (only Lower has a photo tour now, IIRC).

It ended up being just us two and the guide, and we got to stay there for much longer. Was pretty neat. Ours was later in the day and season so we didn’t get as much bright color reflection, but it was still awesome.

31612661998_eeaeb952cd_o.jpg

30545978287_7cd2ed62a2_o.jpg

This is the one they tell you to get for Instagram:

45434643322_c82c35039b_o.jpg

There’s some other interesting stuff around there too:

34093120812_861c05bf3d_o.jpg

• Like 2

Eleven of us did it in 2013; we used a Flagstaff outfit, PRO, who equipped us with rafts, frames, oars, coolers, and food.  They do not provide guides but want people who have fairly heavy rafting experience (12 Main Salmon trips, two Hells Canyon).  Lots of water and even more rocks.  Excellent service in every respect.

I would suggest carefully vetting all who go with you; we took on an old guy at the last minute because he had Colorado experience--which was unnecessary.  Biggest asshole in the Western Hemisphere.  He pounded cans to flatten them with his hammer (this has to be done to save space in the garbage).  The only problem was he insisted on doing this at 4:00 in the morning.  I asked him several times, very politely, to find some other time to do this.  He was adamant.  Finally I told him if he did it again, he would be diving for his hammer.  

He was like this in several ways; it is just hard to put up with someone like that for over two weeks.

Edited by idahorn

On 5/29/2020 at 3:21 PM, Llewelyn Moss said:

I was miserable for the last 2-3 hours.  It took about 24 hours before I could walk without a hiccup in my step after completion. I didn't do anywhere close to enough training.  What I'd do differently is simply hike more.  I did some longish weekend hikes.  But relied primarily on resistance leg workouts and cardio stuff, and I didn't do enough of that either.  I should have done more of both, but particularly the hiking aspect.  I think that's the only way to get your legs ready for the Rim to Rim experience.

42 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I was miserable for the last 2-3 hours.  It took about 24 hours before I could walk without a hiccup in my step after completion. I didn't do anywhere close to enough training.  What I'd do differently is simply hike more.  I did some longish weekend hikes.  But relied primarily on resistance leg workouts and cardio stuff, and I didn't do enough of that either.  I should have done more of both, but particularly the hiking aspect.  I think that's the only way to get your legs ready for the Rim to Rim experience.

Appreciate the honesty and details. I fully expect, even if I train well, to be wrecked afterwards. Part of being middle aged, I suppose.

I need more weight training and cardio for sure. I’ve worked up to a 20-mile walk, but no elevation change to speak of. Definitely sounds like I need to up my game on all fronts. 

On 5/29/2020 at 5:27 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Where are you located? If in Austin, start hiking River Place nature trail. Tons of elevation change, and got me in great shape to summit Guad peak two June’s ago. If I remember correctly, two trips is the equivalent of summiting Guad peak in elevation (I only ever did it once in a day).

Unfortunately not in Austin. In a flat midwestern city. But I definitely need some “practice” hikes. Thanks for the feedback. 

On 5/29/2020 at 6:11 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's really fucking big...  any other questions ?

It's amazing to me that palo duro is the second largest canyon in the usa, because it's a mere finger scratch in the dirt to the grand canyon.  the grand canyon is majestic and everyone should see it.

i was based in phoenix for awhile and always went that way, through sedona and flagstaff, but last summer came down from utah and into page.  that was my first time to see glen canyon dam and lake powell.  page was a pretty thriving, happening town.  wouldn't mind going back and exploring from there for a few days.

i agree with the one posters' take that monument valley is not worth the side trip.  was one of the bigger disappointments of the trip last year.

It's amazing to me that palo duro is the second largest canyon in the usa, because it's a mere finger scratch in the dirt to the grand canyon.  the grand canyon is majestic and everyone should see it.
i was based in phoenix for awhile and always went that way, through sedona and flagstaff, but last summer came down from utah and into page.  that was my first time to see glen canyon dam and lake powell.  page was a pretty thriving, happening town.  wouldn't mind going back and exploring from there for a few days.
i agree with the one posters' take that monument valley is not worth the side trip.  was one of the bigger disappointments of the trip last year.

The area between Page and Kanab/Zion has a ton of cool stuff. You can also access Grand Staircase-Escalante NM from there, too.