Mario Cristobal and Oregon

George Clooney

Nothing of substance has prompted this so go ahead and shit on it if you must, but I’ll say it anyway: Mario Cristobal will win a national title at Oregon. This would seem unfathomable if this were 2012 and his tenure at FIU were just coming to a close, but his stint at Bama rejunevated him. 

Cristobal is an elite recruiter and seems to be one of the only coaches in the pac 12 who understands that player development will only take a program so far. In particular, the talent the Ducks are stockpiling on the o-line will allow them to compete with any team in the nation in a few years. Of course you can’t win it all if you don’t have a great QB, and we’ll have to wait and see who they acquire in the future.

I think he’ll have Oregon in a better spot than Chip Kelly ever did because he understands how to put together an entire organization seamlessly. He’s already taking advantage of the resources Oregon has, and I think he’ll be the first pac 12 coach in a while to stick it to USC and pull the best talent from under their nose consistently. It’s clear from watching his press conferences that Saban taught him well, which could very well mean he’s extremely dirty, but so be it.

I’m not a Duck fan, but I just had this thought and decided to post it because it’s the off-season, and there really isn’t much discussion of other teams besides aggy and OU.

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fwiw, he is absolutely and unequivocally dirty as fuck. He and Nike/Phil Knight are a nightmare match and bad for college football. But this doesnt disqualify your post in any way.   

Yeah I agree. I think he understands how to take advantage of what Oregon can provide much more than Chip Kelly did.

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'll take that bet 

FWIW, they’ll never be as talented as Clemson, Bama, Georgia, and probably Ohio State. I think they’re about to be much more talented than the rest of the pac 12 for a while (unless Petersen cleans up the insane talent in Washington in the near future). I can see them being fresh and catching enough lightning in a bottle to win two playoff games though.

Oh yeah, he's dirty as fuck.  And Nike, they're just as dirty as Adidas.  Chip Kelly never gave a fuck about recruiting.  With Mario, they are going to have some good recruiting classes.  Will they be on the level of bama, uga, lsu, osu, Texas on a yearly basis?  Probably not, but they'll pull top 10 classes every year with the occasional top 5 class.

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

Nothing of substance has prompted this so go ahead and shit on it if you must, but I’ll say it anyway: Mario Cristobal will win a national title at Oregon. This would seem unfathomable if this were 2012 and his tenure at FIU were just coming to a close, but his stint at Bama rejunevated him. 

Cristobal is an elite recruiter and seems to be one of the only coaches in the pac 12 who understands that player development will only take a program so far. In particular, the talent the Ducks are stockpiling on the o-line will allow them to compete with any team in the nation in a few years. Of course you can’t win it all if you don’t have a great QB, and we’ll have to wait and see who they acquire in the future.

I think he’ll have Oregon in a better spot than Chip Kelly ever did because he understands how to put together an entire organization seamlessly. He’s already taking advantage of the resources Oregon has, and I think he’ll be the first pac 12 coach in a while to stick it to USC and pull the best talent from under their nose consistently. It’s clear from watching his press conferences that Saban taught him well, which could very well mean he’s extremely dirty, but so be it.

I’m not a Duck fan, but I just had this thought and decided to post it because it’s the off-season, and there really isn’t much discussion of other teams besides aggy and OU.

So many euphemisms for dirty recruiting in here. Which is correct.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Oh yeah, he's dirty as fuck.  And Nike, they're just as dirty as Adidas.  Chip Kelly never gave a fuck about recruiting.  With Mario, they are going to have some good recruiting classes.  Will they be on the level of bama, uga, lsu, osu, Texas on a yearly basis?  Probably not, but they'll pull top 10 classes every year with the occasional top 5 class.

If they can outflank Petersen and own the PNW as a whole, with LA mercenaries bolstering their classes... that's a whole lot of talent. Greater Seattle has some filthy talent lately.

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If they can outflank Petersen and own the PNW as a whole, with LA merceneries bolstering their classes... that's a whole lot of talent. Greater Seattle has some filthy talent lately.

Yeah the battles between Oregon, UW, and other national powers for Smalls + the elite 2021 guys in the Seattle area will be interesting. Cristobal's method of recruiting (along with Saban, Ryan Day, etc.) vs Petersen's clean approach will ruffle tons of feathers.

• Like 1

This thread will be interesting in the coming years. I personally think Oregon jumped the shark after Kelly left, but their wild uniforms and unbelievable facilities will make them a force to win 11 games every now and again.

I personally don't seeing them win a MNC, but in 2023 I may get quoted on this and be laughed at.

The biggest issue with Cristobal is that he’s a fucking idiot. He’s non-cajun Orgeron and a meathead of the first order. His work at the close of the Stanford game last year made Kevin Steele question his decision-making. I really think that will be about the only limit for where he can take that program. 

Cristobal loves recruiting and has no qualms about paying players directly or funneling however he needs to do so. He straight up bought the DE from Cali last class, much to Bama’s chagrin. He’s got the opportunity to turn Chris Peterson into the Ned Stark of CFB while taking advantage of USC’s collapse in competence in LA. 

Oregon is not a school I want Texas going up against in recruiting. Some recruitments aren’t dirty, but places like Oregon and Georgia have a way of changing that. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oregon is not a school I want Texas going up against in recruiting. Some recruitments aren’t dirty, but places like Oregon and Georgia have a way of changing that. 

So it's awesome for us that Kelee Ringo just visited them both, huh?

Edited by texifornia

Just now, texifornia said:

So it's awesome for us that Kelee Ringo just visited them both, huh?

I’m reminded of the Norm McDonald Weekend Update the Saturday night after the OJ verdict. Something like “It’s official. Murder is now legal in the state of California.”

The NCAA is no longer enforcing rules against cheating. They have coaches on tape and testifying under FBI subpoena that they’re fucking buying players and they’re doing nothing with it. If it isn’t a rule any more, outside of the moral fundamentalists, I’m not sure what the issue is, I guess. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I read his wiki page.  He "idolized" Paterno and coached under Schiavo at Rutgers.  So if he wins at Oregon some sort of probation (if they even have that anymore) will follow?

Who cares about all that nonsense?

#peteyinseattle

8 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Honestly know very little about Cristobal, why is he dirty? 

A good rule of thumb is that any head coach who has spent more than a hot minute under the tutelage of Nick Saban knows every tool of the trade and isn't afraid to use it, as long as the institution doesn't get in the way.