Minneapolis recs?

Zepol87

Good timing. Going to be in town one night in August for a Red Sox game (we will be coming in from Wisconsin after visiting friends there, dropping car off at airport and taking light rail downtown - probably staying at the Element next to Target Field. Will have 4 or so hours before game time, what to do? IE where do I get drunk? 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

This post needs elaboration.

I enjoy hating on Minnesota, but it's more in the civic rivalry/good natured ribbing sort of way.  I actually like the place.

My gripe is that Minnesota is the only state that rivals Texas for how much it likes itself, and consequently can't wait to tell you how awful your state is.  Particularly if it's a state that borders Minnesota.  I like Texas in spite of this mildly annoying trait too.

as a kid, i would see temperatures around the country. Minneapolis was always like -10. always left an impression on me of somewhere i would not wanna be. kind of like when you are a kid and they tell you that you will go to hell if you do something bad. just got ingrained in me.

The best chicken wings I’ve ever had are from Runyon’s. Corner of Washington and 1st Ave. Award winning 25 years ago and haven’t changed a bit. Have a couple of beers and a plate then stroll north on Washington a half a block and check out Sexworld and buy your wife a dildo. That way if she didn’t like the wings she can go fuck herself…

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked out the week's events and it looks fun as hell.  Things that stood out to me:

Monday 12:00-8:00 Urban Growler and Todd Haug collaboration.  (It's F'ng Todd Haug.  And Urban Growler's a fun spot)

Monday 3:00-6:00 Happy hour at the falls (This is at Minnehaha Park. Even on a meh day it's a great spot to take in the sights and see the falls)

Tuesday 3:00 IPA showdown at UpDown (it's a really cool old school arcade in the Uptown area)

Wednesday 5:00-8:00 Bent Paddle Smack Shack tap takeover.  (Smack Shack's a cool spot, and Bent Paddle is some of the best beer in the state- Out of Duluth)

Thursday 2:00-8:00 Dangerous Man parking lot party.  (These guys are cool, and a bunch of other breweries are close by)

The best chicken wings I’ve ever had are from Runyon’s. Corner of Washington and 1st Ave. Award winning 25 years ago and haven’t changed a bit. Have a couple of beers and a plate then stroll north on Washington a half a block and check out Sexworld and buy your wife a dildo. That way if she didn’t like the wings she can go fuck herself…

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

I met Todd one time (I highly doubt he remembers me).  Back in the Brooklyn Center days.  My wife was working for Toppling Goliath, and we delivered some bombers of PsuedoSue and Sosus to the facility, and Todd and another brewer gave us a personal tour with a lot of samples.  Seemed like a really cool guy.

You here yet [mention=193]patrickdrinksbeer[/mention]?  I want updates.  Also, are there any conference events or activities that I may want to crash?

Just got in Monday afternoon. Hit up an industry thing at Blackstack and then ate at Surly. Finished with a couple at Modist before waking back to hotel. About to head to convention center for trade show and seminars. Not sure what extracurriculars are on tap today. f85d555d79a3b3b92fd83d948d5748a0.jpg
9f7334f8a3ec8a8fb2b8cd193b8b4320.jpg
201f1524d64754a5903abf91575edc7b.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yesterday hit up Matt’s for a Jucy Lucy, Fulton Brewing, InBound Brewing, Indeed Brewing, Psycho Suzi’s, and Modist again

Matt’s is a total hole in the wall. Burger was good. Not mind blowing, but worth the effort.

Fulton seemed like a cool space but the vibe sucked for some reason. Just didn’t feel like a fun place.

InBound served me the worst commercial beer I’ve had in years. Undrinkable IPA.

Indeed was great.

Psycho Suzi’s for great sunset tiki drinks on the Mississippi and solid enough pizza.

The coffee lager at Modist has been my favorite beer of the trip so far. Sounds awful, but tastes great.

Dinner reservation at Bar La Grassa tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Yesterday hit up Matt’s for a Jucy Lucy, Fulton Brewing, InBound Brewing, Indeed Brewing, Psycho Suzi’s, and Modist again

Matt’s is a total hole in the wall. Burger was good. Not mind blowing, but worth the effort.

Fulton seemed like a cool space but the vibe sucked for some reason. Just didn’t feel like a fun place.

Indeed was great.

Psycho Suzi’s for great sunset tiki drinks on the Mississippi and solid enough pizza.

The coffee lager at Modist has been my favorite beer of the trip so far. Sounds awful, but tastes great.

What you described about Fulton is how I feel about that neighborhood in general.  It's really pretty and nice, but just doesn't feel lived in at all.

40 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Indeed was great.

FYI, Pryes is only a half mile from Bar La Grassa and is an easy walk.  It'll be popping on a day like this I bet.

The neighborhood around Fulton doesn't feel lived in, mostly because it barely has been. That area didn't get built up until 3 or 4 years after the ballpark opened.

Good choices with Matt's and Bar La Grassa. I really like the BlackStack space.

Agree with your opinions of Betty Dangers and Psycho Suzi's. I live here in MSP and don't go to either place with any regularity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 8:04 AM, patrickdrinksbeer said:

Just got in Monday afternoon. Hit up an industry thing at Blackstack and then ate at Surly. Finished with a couple at Modist before waking back to hotel. About to head to convention center for trade show and seminars. Not sure what extracurriculars are on tap today. f85d555d79a3b3b92fd83d948d5748a0.jpg

X X X

So you're saying my decision to skip the wife's cousin's wedding at Debbie's Celebration Barn in Oskaloosa was a good one?

Huge mistake. That would have been a gold mine of unintentional comedy. I’m guessing the wedding party wore camo or non-ironic trucker hats. Toothless Hawk fans for days. Lots of IH vs John Deere debates.

Osky is one of those towns people north of I-80 rip on, but then you travel through rural Missouri and Oklahoma and rescind the criticism.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fortunately/unfortunately spend a fair amount of time in rural ND, SD, MN, IA, NE, KS and MO. Missouri is like no place on earth and praise Jobu for that. One state is enough.

It’s a world unto itself. I’ve traveled the rural areas of all of those states and they tend to be tidy and well kept even where the town is clearly in a state of decline.

In Missouri (and parts of OK) it looks like some of these rural towns are literal war zones. I noticed a lot of that in Indiana too, when one of my buddies lived in Bloomington (which itself is great).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the weekend in the downtown area helping our son get settled in his new place. He starts his new job Wednesday. Had a great time. It's not Chicago or NYC, but still nice and walkable. We didn't do any high end places this trip as we were busy helping him get set up and finding things for his apt. We had pizza at Pizza Lucé one evening and wings at Runyons another night, which is literally next door. Both were outstanding. Breakfast at the Breakfast Bar one morning, which is really unique and good. One of their items is deep fried lobster tail and waffles. We didn't get that, but everything was great. The other two mornings were just pastries at some really good bakeries. My next trip there will be in July without Mrs. MO. Our other son is coming and we'll have a guy's weekend at the 3M open. By then he'll have had time to check out a lot more places. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Booked our stay at the new Four Seasons that opens next month. What do I to to kill 5 hours on a Monday afternoon sans car before dinner/a Twins game?

There are several breweries in the area that I think are within walking distance. There is a statue garden of that interests you. The light rail will take you to Minnehaha Falls or other places. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/31/2022 at 12:49 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Booked our stay at the new Four Seasons that opens next month. What do I to to kill 5 hours on a Monday afternoon sans car before dinner/a Twins game?

Most of the places in this thread are within walking distance.  South on Hennepin from that spot can be a little dicey for a few blocks.  Not dangerous really, just chaotic.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:49 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

If you're into history and can afford the uber. Or uber from the light rail stop at the airport.

https://www.mnhs.org/fortsnelling

• Hook 'Em 1

Minneapolis is a challenge to recruit into and even harder to recruit out of. Most Minnesotans love outdoors activities from fishing to snowmobiling to hunting. Got a buddy that moved there and he got into ice fishing. I think it’s an excuse to hide from the wife and drink whiskey..

Eat some lutefisk. Thank me later.

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Minneapolis is a challenge to recruit into and even harder to recruit out of. Most Minnesotans love outdoors activities from fishing to snowmobiling to hunting. Got a buddy that moved there and he got into ice fishing. I think it’s an excuse to hide from the wife and drink whiskey..

Eat some lutefisk. Thank me later.

Yes, that's exactly why people ice fishing.  

The key to happiness in a 4 season climate with a brutal winter is to find things about winter that you actively look forward to.  For me it's cross country skiing and snowshoeing, for some people it's sledding (snowmobiling), and others its ice fishing.

I'm coming up in a week or so. Staying downtown. Going to hit up a Twins game and mostly just fuck around.

I'm assuming the recs from the beginning of the thread from 4 years ago are mostly still on point? I'm sure there are some covid casualties among them but I need to do some research.

I'm not really a fan of the craft brew scene, but I love dive bars and/or classic old bars and restaurants that have been around for forever. If there are one or two places I have to eat at or drink at in Minneapolis, where should I go?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm coming up in a week or so. Staying downtown. Going to hit up a Twins game and mostly just fuck around.

I'm assuming the recs from the beginning of the thread from 4 years ago are mostly still on point? I'm sure there are some covid casualties among them but I need to do some research.

I'm not really a fan of the craft brew scene, but I love dive bars and/or classic old bars and restaurants that have been around for forever. If there are one or two places I have to eat at or drink at in Minneapolis, where should I go?

Ditto.  Headed there soon.

23 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The CC Club on Lyndale & 26th is probably the #1 spot for this, IMO.  It's where the Replacements hung out in the 80's and very much feels that way today.

Matt's Bar is really similar, and home to the OG Jucy Lucy.  It's great.

1029 Bar in Northeast is also great.

All of these are an easy Uber from downtown.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know you’re on an unlimited budget because of your wife so before the twins game get a silver butter knife steak from Murray’s steakhouse . It’s a few blocks from target field. Also have really good garlic toast. It’s the old classic Minneapolis bar/restaurant

https://murraysrestaurant.com

That’s where the Vikings wine and dine their free agents. Not sure if that’s good or bad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I know you’re on an unlimited budget because of your wife so before the twins game get a silver butter knife steak from Murray’s steakhouse . It’s a few blocks from target field. Also have really good garlic toast. It’s the old classic Minneapolis bar/restaurant

https://murraysrestaurant.com

That’s where the Vikings wine and dine their free agents. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

I think we're hitting up a day game and I don't think I could do anything but sleep after trying to knock out a 28 oz steak... but we will try to give it a shot. 

I think Murray’s has a stand inside target field for prime rib sandwich’s but the guy I know who’s an avid fan of their silver butter knife steaks, my dad, he said he wouldn’t feed the prime rib sandwich to his dog…they were that bad

There’s also a steakhouse named mannys but i don’t think it has that old school speak easy vibe. Mannys is located in the foshay tower which is now the W hotel. I’ve never eaten there besides a wedding I went to catered it. Which was good. But their prices are a little steep

https://mannyssteakhouse.com/uploads/Mannys-Dinner-Menu.pdf

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

These are not necesarily "can't miss" spots (Target Field itself is), but sticking to joints locals go and trying to stay in your parameters...

Downtown

Brit's Pub- Rooftop (Not a dive but pretty damn unique)

Cuzzy's (The one dive bar hold out in the otherwise very trendy North Loop)

Runyuns (Wings. Really good ones)

Barrio (Tequila.  Really good ones)

The Depot (Small bar connected to the historic First Ave venue. I like to go there right before day games for fun people watching)

Not Downtown (but not too far)

CC Club (You asked for a classic Dive Bar)

Matt's (Dive bar plus the famous Jucy Luicy.  Might be beer and wine only though)

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1