Minneapolis recs?

Zepol87

http://surlybrewing.com/brewedforthenorth/

Make sure to tell em youre from SurlyHorns.

Im not up to snuff much on the food, guess it all depends if youre downtown Minneapolis or not...Mannys and Murrays are the 2 heavy hitters when it comes to fine dining..IMO.

Twolves might be in the playoffs or a Twins game going on which are in downtown. MPLS is a bad ass town and the weather SHOULD be in the 50s/60s during the day

Edit: reread your office is in Fridley...north burbs. Yea I got nothing. Theres a few MPLS posters that were on the other site, not sure if theyve made it here yet, theyd be more help

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM
  • Like 1

The only rail that matters is the light rail, and Fridley is NOT close to it.  It's a reasonable Suburb to Uber from though if you aren't getting a car.

Food: 

Get a Ju(i)cy Lucy.  Matt's is (arguably) the original, but other good ones include 5/8, Blue Door, and The Nook.

Bar La Grassa- This really is a must.  Others will undoubtedly chime in here.

Travail Kitchen and Amusements- Fun spot.  Young and hip. 

Manny's- The high end steak place.  Expensive.

Drinks:

Depends on your style. If you give me an idea of what you like I'll be more specific but in general I'll point you towards the Breweries.  Given your office location, Northeast Minneapolis makes the most sense.  There are a ton of good breweries there, Here's a few.

Things to do:

Eat and Drink.  Need to know your interests to give you anything else.

14 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

he only rail that matters is the light rail, and Fridley is NOT close to it.

On second thought, the Northstar Line has a stop in Fridley- maybe that's what you're referring to.  It's more of a commuter line though and doesn't run very often. 

• Like 1

Nerdy stuff: Fort Snelling and Mill City Museum

Sports: Twins game for sure. Beautiful ballpark. If you can get to Saint Paul, the Wild should be in the playoffs.

Beer: Surly, for sure. But I would ask a local about where else to go. Micros keep popping up monthly. Also, for nostalgia purposes try a Grain Belt Premium.

Food: Midtown Global Market

Liquor: Find yourself a bottle of White Water whiskey from Panther Distillery for a night cap.

• Like 1

Psycho Suzi's for breakfast and Bloodies.  Al's Diner in Dinkeytown is a good breakfast spot as well (no booze).

Steel Toe is underrated as far as breweries go.  Fair State makes great beer.  Surly is Surly.  Barrel Theory in St. Paul is my favorite Twin Cities brewery right now.  Fulton is doing really good things as well.

Go to a show at First Ave/7th Street Entry.  Houndmouth is there 4/17.

Juicy Lucy's are a must, all the best ones have been mentioned already.  For my money, it's tough to beat a Lucy, fries, and Grain Belt at Matt's.

1029 is a great dive bar.  Gluek's Party Bar downtown is always a fun time.

Target Field kicks ass.  Good luck with the weather.  It could be 80+ degrees and gorgeous, or it could be a freak blizzard.  Anything in between is on the table, and my guess is you'll see a lot of variation in that 10 day window.  Pack for both cold and nice.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:01 PM, TexasHooch said:

The only rail that matters is the light rail, and Fridley is NOT close to it.  It's a reasonable Suburb to Uber from though if you aren't getting a car.

Food: 

Get a Ju(i)cy Lucy.  Matt's is (arguably) the original, but other good ones include 5/8, Blue Door, and The Nook.

Bar La Grassa- This really is a must.  Others will undoubtedly chime in here.

Travail Kitchen and Amusements- Fun spot.  Young and hip. 

Manny's- The high end steak place.  Expensive.

Drinks:

Depends on your style. If you give me an idea of what you like I'll be more specific but in general I'll point you towards the Breweries.  Given your office location, Northeast Minneapolis makes the most sense.  There are a ton of good breweries there, Here's a few.

Things to do:

Eat and Drink.  Need to know your interests to give you anything else.

I haven't been yet, but my cousin lives like 3 blocks from there and raves about it constantly.  I generally trust his taste in things, so it seems like a good rec.

On 4/1/2018 at 10:29 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I had a good breakfast at Hell's Kitchen.  We stayed around the corner though, so I'm not sure a trip downtown just for breakfast is justified.

Gotta check out the CC Club for a proper midwestern local bar.

CC Club is a great bar.

Also, I completely forgot Town Hall Brewing.  A Minneapolis tradition.

On 4/1/2018 at 1:24 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Not been, but saw Lola pizzeria on diners drive ins and dives and it looked damn good. 

Confirmed. Very solid pizza. 

Also as noted earlier, Bar La Grassa is a must. I typically like to try different restaurants on various visits to a city when traveling but I will always go to Bar La Grassa. 

Butcher and the Boar is a great place for beer, bourbon and meat and has a good outdoor area if the weather is nice. We went after a Twins game and it hit the spot. 

Surly has an awesome taproom as well. 

Not sure where you're staying,, but if you're working and staying in Fridley, you'll be driving everywhere.

April in this town is a crapshoot. The weather hasn't been good on the last weekend of April since the Clinton administration, and there's 6 inches of sloppy snow on the ground right now with more coming down. 

There's a 5-8 Club on the north side of town (109th and Zane in Champlin) for their Juicy Lucy.

Second the recommendations of 1029, Brits Pub, 

A brewery that also has FANTASTIC food is Urban Growler (2325 Endicott St, St. Paul). I don't get why everyone wants to go to Surly. The beer and taprooms are better at Able, Indeed, and Dangerous Man. 

Al's Breakfast is the narrowest restaurant in the City of Minneapolis, and is one of the legendary dining establishments of the Big Ten Conference. Open 6 AM-noon. Great pancakes.

• Like 1

Probably not what you are looking for but perhaps it will pay off on the way home...Lake Wine Kitchen and Bar at the airport is a great place to hang out while you wait for your plane.  Good non-traditional wine choices and the salmon is surprisingly good (i.e, excellent for general airport food).

https://www.mspairport.com/sites/default/files/attachments/0218_Menu_LakeWine.pdf

Not sure where you're staying,, but if you're working and staying in Fridley, you'll be driving everywhere. April in this town is a crapshoot. The weather hasn't been good on the last weekend of April since the Clinton administration, and there's 6 inches of sloppy snow on the ground right now with more coming down. 

There's a 5-8 Club on the north side of town (109th and Zane in Champlin) for their Juicy Lucy.

A brewery that also has FANTASTIC food is Urban Growler (2325 Endicott St, St. Paul). I don't get why everyone wants to go to Surly. The beer and taprooms are better at Able, Indeed, and Dangerous Man. 

Al's Breakfast is the narrowest restaurant in the City of Minneapolis, and is one of the legendary dining establishments of the Big Ten Conference. Open 6 AM-noon. Great pancakes.

I recommend surly because it's shipped up here to different bars in moorhead and it's good. I otherwise don't know squat about the mpls craft beer scene 

Wasn't als on campus eats on BTN? Looked good but talk about a hole in the wall

10 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Not sure where you're staying,, but if you're working and staying in Fridley, you'll be driving everywhere.

April in this town is a crapshoot. The weather hasn't been good on the last weekend of April since the Clinton administration, and there's 6 inches of sloppy snow on the ground right now with more coming down. 

Surly is definitely overrated, but it's a striking facility with good beer.  I've been 5-6 times and that's enough for the rest of my life probably, but it's a cool place on your first visit.

Al's is easily the narrowest restaurant I've ever been in.

rfl_18898.jpg

als_breakfast_minneapolis.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Sweet, thanks everyone. I repped what I could. I am going to stay downtown off 5th and 2nd street. I will deal with driving up to Fridley for a few days. Hopefully the weather cooperates with me. 

You're not going to get snowed on or anything, but yeah, just be ready.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Sweet, thanks everyone. I repped what I could. I am going to stay downtown off 5th and 2nd street. I will deal with driving up to Fridley for a few days. Hopefully the weather cooperates with me. 

2nd Street and 5th Ave?  That's a kickass spot in the North Loop.  Walk to Bar La Grassa, Spoon and Stable, Freehouse, Modest Brewing, Fulton Brewery, Target Field, Runyons (good wings), Bachelor Farmer, Smack Shack and a whole lot more.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 9:35 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Surly is definitely overrated, but it's a striking facility with good beer.  I've been 5-6 times and that's enough for the rest of my life probably, but it's a cool place on your first visit.

Al's is easily the narrowest restaurant I've ever been in.

rfl_18898.jpg

als_breakfast_minneapolis.jpg

The front looks like the diner in Cooperstown, love little dives like these. 

• 3 weeks later...
Headed to Minneapolis at the end of April for about 10 days. Never been before. Office is in the Fridley close to the rail. Any tips will be appreciated. Food, booze, sights, and debauchery. Thanks fellas
Would love to hear your thoughts during and after your trip.

So often in these "city recommendations" threads, the trip comes and goes without a follow up.

No problem. I am getting cut short not quite 10 days, but got here on thursday. Weather has been badass and I didn't really know what to expect but this city is fun as hell. 

Friday night was spent boozing after meetings all day.  Parking was insane downtown, I recommend the train if you can. Had dinner at La Grassa with some coworkers and it was amazing. The egg and lobster bruschetta was tits. 

After this we decided we were gonna booze it up. Just started walking and ended up at The Loon Cafe, not for any other reason other than they were showing the Rangers game on TV (3 dollar grain belt beers). It got kind of crowded quick with tons of people visiting from Spain for some reason. The women in this city leave a lot to be desired. 508 bar is next to this and it was way better. A little better talent and a better selection of tequila. Finished off the night at some German place called Glueks, it was dead. 

Saturday hit 2 dive bars off around 27th street. Not sure how true it is but I was told I went to the shittiest bars in the city. Schooner Tavern and Hexagon bar. It was pretty damn rough. Similar to some bars in South Dallas I wouldn't go to anymore. 

I can add a little more later cause I am about to get hammered. 

The park over by the Walker Art Center is pretty badass. Worth a visit

Edited by Zepol87

If you're looking for tequila go to Barrio. It's too late, but I would have advised against anywhere on Hennepin Ave. It's like 6th street without the coeds. Schooner and Hexagon are dives for sure but not unlike a hundred other South and Northeast neighborhood joints. You can definitely do worse.

Glad to hear you're having fun. Thanks for the update.

I’ll echo the recommendations for both Butcher & Boar and Town Hall Brewing as great spots to hit in Minneapolis. If you’re in St. Paul, and looking for a good, classic, upscale dinner spot, I end up at the St. Paul Grill a lot when I’m in town for work. Classic steakhouse, great whiskey selection. Good area to be in if you’re there during hockey season as well. St. Paul is cool in that downtown is filled with old buildings, while a lot of areas of Minneapolis (especially up and down Washington) have been redeveloped. 

On 4/24/2018 at 7:21 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Don't try to drive in St paul.
I'm a cossettas fan, which is an Italian cafe/ market place.

Yeah, St Paul is a very short Uber/Lyft. The Louis restaurant at Cossetta has a nice rooftop patio. Solid Italian and great service.

The Mill City Museum is surprisingly interesting and fun. Right next door is the Guthrie Theater, which has great architecture and a nice view of the river. 

I didn't have time to go, but the Walker Art Center and sculpture garden is supposed to be fantastic. The garden was closed for renovation, but I think that should be completed by now.

My conference had a private event at the then newly opened US Bank Stadium. Very nice facility.

Oops, just saw your travel dates. Sorry if this is late! Hope you're having a great trip.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:21 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Don't try to drive in St paul.
I'm a cossettas fan, which is an Italian cafe/ market place.

another good st. paul recco - i ate at louis (at cossettas) last fall and it was great.  that rooftop bar is awesome, as mentioned.  parking is a bitch though.

5 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Other than Spoon and Stable, what is the best high-end restaurant in the city?  We'll be there in June and we always like to hit up a few nicer restaurants when we are visiting a new city.  

I’m a steakhouse snob and I loved Murray’s.  

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I’m a steakhouse snob and I loved Murray’s.  

my mom and dad went there a year or 2 ago for their anniverssary and brought home a few scraps of their silver butter knife steak for me and my brother in law...i was so mad they told him about it. even straight from the fridge, those few small pieces were mouth watering. 

On 4/30/2018 at 1:45 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

Other than Spoon and Stable, what is the best high-end restaurant in the city?  We'll be there in June and we always like to hit up a few nicer restaurants when we are visiting a new city.  

Depends a bit what you mean by High-end. All the best restaurants are pretty unassuming and casual. Many are also pretty moderately priced.  Manny's is great but it's a steakhouse. Murrays is good, but also a Steakhouse.  I enjoy both but I know when I visit a new city I want a meal I can't get everywhere else, even it is executed better.

You can't go wrong with Spoon and Stable but here are some you should look into- some have already been mentioned:

Meritage, The Lexington, Bachelor Farmer, Saint Dinette, Corner Table, Travail, Tilia, Ngon Bistro, Butcher and The Boar, and of course Bar La Grassa.  

Edited by TexasHooch