Minneapolis recs?

Zepol87

Fulton is right there too.  Both might have food trucks, but no kitchens.  Otherwise, if you arrive hungry,  Freehouse is close and is a cool spot with a great beer selection- avoid the house brews though.

I know you're more about booze than food, but you're staying in a primo location for good grub.  Bar La Grassa, Mara, and Spoon and Stable are each less than a 10 minute walk from Modist.

Weather is an absolute crap chute that time of year.  Could be beautiful or miserable.

• Like 1

I always forget about Fulton, but they make a lot of really fucking solid beer.  Probably a top tier MN brewery, but you kind of forget that because they're well distributed and seem "big".  They lapped Surly years ago, IMO, and I'm not into the Triple DDH IPA and Fruit/pastry Sour scene all that much, so when you account for that I could probably make the argument that they and Schell's are my favorite Minnesota breweries.

Fulton does sell a lot of beer, but the taproom is small- pretty much all production is offsite.  I did just pop on to their website and see that they've added a small food menu. Word to the wise, they tend to get very busy before and after games, though outside of opening day, the Astros series is likely to be sparsely attended.

Wherever you go in Minneapolis proper, be prepared for a sneaky 20% surcharge at most downtown bars and restaurants for "employee wellness" or some shit.  Some places make it clear that this is in lieu of tips, but others expect you to tip on top.  Downtown/North Loop is expensive. $8 beers are the norm.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, Scraps said:

Going to Minneapolis at beginning of April for the Twins home opening series against your 2022 World Champion Houston Astros.

My airbnb is pretty much in LF so I will be staying close to Target Field.

I have some of the breweries on my to go to list (Pyres, Surly, Dangerous Man) but if anyone has some other joints they recommend I will try to check them out. Brit's Pub seems to be a popular choice on here. I had a buddy who has been there mention CC Club and The Bulldog (? I think)

Personally I rather waste my money checking out drinking spots than restaurants so not really looking for any food recs.

Can't wait to watch baseball in the 40s!

Barrel Theory in St Paul is a really solid brewery, fantastic IPAs. 

The few beers I've had from Falling Knife have been pretty good as well. 

Edited by Mango4
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, Scraps said:

Going to Minneapolis at beginning of April for the Twins home opening series against your 2022 World Champion Houston Astros.

My airbnb is pretty much in LF so I will be staying close to Target Field.

I have some of the breweries on my to go to list (Pyres, Surly, Dangerous Man) but if anyone has some other joints they recommend I will try to check them out. Brit's Pub seems to be a popular choice on here. I had a buddy who has been there mention CC Club and The Bulldog (? I think)

Personally I rather waste my money checking out drinking spots than restaurants so not really looking for any food recs.

Can't wait to watch baseball in the 40s!

Weather into the mid 60s this weekend you lucky bastard!  Gross now though and the 1st game would have been miserable but Twins just moved Friday. Hopefully that doesn't mess with you plans.

• 3 months later...
17 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

A fan of Cosetta in downtown Saint Paul.

The Gnome Pub also in Saint Paul.

Breweries:

Surly, duh?

Blackstack

Minnesota FC has a great atmosphere.

Fort Snelling is a pretty cool historic site. 

Give me Fulton, Barrel Theory, Fair State, Town Hall, Bauhaus, and Indeed over Surly or Blackstack.

Cosetta slams though.

We were at great wolf lodge by the mall a few weeks ago and almost made it to cossettas. But kids….and water slides

Found a sneaky good pizza slice inside MOA called Deleo brothers pizza. It’s in the entrance of the aquarium as you walk in straight to left, lowest level. Their crust had a hint of garlic to it, and when you mix garlic with your crust…my ears perk.

On 7/28/2023 at 8:52 PM, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

Hell yes!

e40a1193cf8a0ed7115eb5238646191e.jpg
c4b35257783954bdd6abf2b1219c43e1.jpg
0b9c641772a06bd7ca3698c3e5dae6ea.jpg
f35e5ce8ce63df2fe968251677449801.jpg
43d2ae2ad5f43d9110bc048466ba3e9f.jpg

OK, I started denting my beer cans in college (30 years ago) and still do it today. It's pure habit now and I do it everytime.  Might have picked it up from a roommate from Tyler but I'm not sure.  East Texas origins?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

going to be downtown till wednesday at Marquette hotel for work. where’s a good place to watch the bama game?  with sound.  

I've never been, but Tom's Watch Bar is probably your best bet, particularly if you're on foot.  A lot of the other places will be hit or miss, either because they're not inclined to turn game audio on, or the audio will already be on the Gopher's game.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread, because my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew are moving to Minneapolis from Portland, Oregon. My BIL was just offered a partner track position at a law firm.

Last summer, my oldest nephew died by suicide. The whole family is optimistic, that this new start will contribute to the healing process.

My brother-in-law has been a lifelong Minnesota Vikings fan, even though he grew up in Florida and Pennsylvania. My youngest nephew is a sports fiend, and is already pestering his father for season tickets for the NFL, MLB, NBA and hockey teams.

Plus, it’ll be convenient since my daughter lives in Chicago.

I’m sure I’ll be spending a lot of time there in the warmer months and I’ll be reading this thread looking for good intel.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:29 PM, BearSchlong said:

Bumping this thread, because my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew are moving to Minneapolis from Portland, Oregon. My BIL was just offered a partner track position at a law firm.

Last summer, my oldest nephew died by suicide. The whole family is optimistic, that this new start will contribute to the healing process.

My brother-in-law has been a lifelong Minnesota Vikings fan, even though he grew up in Florida and Pennsylvania. My youngest nephew is a sports fiend, and is already pestering his father for season tickets for the NFL, MLB, NBA and hockey teams.

Plus, it’ll be convenient since my daughter lives in Chicago.

I’m sure I’ll be spending a lot of time there in the warmer months and I’ll be reading this thread looking for good intel.

Have they found an area to live in yet?