Striking Out The Side

VolenteHawk

On 4/21/2019 at 1:24 PM, Huckleberry said:

It does bring up the only scenario about this I think is debatable. Two strikeouts are clean but the third is a drppped third strike put out at first. It's a strikeout but technically the out is recorded as a put out at first base. I can see either argument on this one. I think the fair answer would be it's striking out the side if it was a passed ball or straight drop by the catcher but not if it was a wild pitch.

The pitcher is credited with the K regardless of what happens afterward.  Wild pitch, passed ball, whatever, even if the guy gets to first.  It is still a K for the pitcher.  It is still a K for the batter.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, we all know that. But the out isn't a K. The out is a putout at first base (typically scored "K 2-3" indicating, again, the out at first base). In a strikeout that directly records the out it is just a K and the catcher gets the putout.

colloquially the throw to first "completes the strikeout".  so even though the putout is scored with a 2-3 attached it's still considered a strikeout.  

On 4/19/2019 at 6:47 PM, Machinator said:

OSU announcers just said that their starter struck out the side.

Plate appearance 1: Ellis strikes out

PA 2: Kennedy strikes out but reaches on a wild pitch

PA 3: Todd flies out to center

PA 4: Hibbeler strikes out

Verdict?

Not striking out the side because the Kennedy K was not recorded as an out.

I remember seeing a pitcher get 4 K's in 1 inning.  Twice actually, but I don't remember who or when. 

Ken Giles did it against the Rangers in an extra inning game a couple years back that the Astros lost. IIRC he faced more than 4 though.

ETA - lulz 6 Ks in 1.2 IP.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/rangers-vs-astros/2016/08/07/448531?partnerId=LR_box#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=448531

10f25fdee561e2acd88dc6f2aa760347.png

• Like 1