How Do You Prefer Your Bacon?

Vic Mackey

Which Bacon Do You Prefer?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bacon Do You Prefer?

Just now, Asithappens said:

So you put sugar in with your bacon or do you buy it with the sugar already there, like maple flavored?

Sugar cured, most of the time.  Not a big fan of the maple stuff.

You do realize most cured bacon has some sugar content, right?

1, 2 and 6 are utterly unacceptable.  5 is only acceptable because hey it's bacon and who doesn't like bacon (I would also accept 5 if one is doing something like chopping up for a salad or floating it in a Bloody Mary).  3 or 4 is where this argument is at. I swing probably at 3.5-4.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

True. Was sticking with semantics being used earlier in thread. Caramelization is sugar reacting with heat. Throw protein in there and you get the Maillard. Browning bacon is a Maillard reaction.

Why are you explaining the correct answer to the guy who just told you the correct answer?

13 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

There was a Shaggy poster that was infamous for proudly posting a picture of his “cooked” bacon. 

I just know I want it cooked more than that  

I hope he didn’t die from the ptomaine. 

I've been trying to remember who that was. It's just out of reach. I'm thinking he was an Oregon Ducks fan but I'm not certain at all. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I've been trying to remember who that was. It's just out of reach. I'm thinking he was an Oregon Ducks fan but I'm not certain at all. 

Let me help you. Was me. But my handle was in English, and has nothing to do with Oregon.

and, that sammich still tasted good and I’m still very much alive. 

3 looks good to me. 4 as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do people really eat it like #1??

you probably won’t believe me but I had a friend in high school who would roll up raw cookie dough into a ball, wrap it in a slice of raw bacon, dip it in melted butter and eat it as is.  called them “bacon balls”.  hand to god. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let me help you. Was me. But my handle was in English, and has nothing to do with Oregon.

and, that sammich still tasted good and I’m still very much alive. 

3 looks good to me. 4 as well. 

Oh, and the pic you posted at the old site was closer to 2. 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh, and the pic you posted at the old site was closer to 2. 

Yes it was, but bacon looks different when microwaved, which that was. Microwaving bacon isn’t all that defensible so I don’t believe I mentioned that fact after the uproar. But I was trying to be fast and make no dishes. 

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes it was, but bacon looks different when microwaved, which that was. Microwaving bacon isn’t all that defensible so I don’t believe I mentioned that fact after the uproar. But I was trying to be fast and make no dishes. 

I mean, I prefer it pan fried in it’s own fat to a crisp 4.5 but I’ll eat the shit out of microwaved bacon. 

Humblebrag Alert:

I had lunch at the Four Seasons in NYC years back and ordered the bacon cheeseburger.  Not only was it relatively affordable* (no second mortgage required) it was one of the few non-reallyfuckingweird items on the menu.  

When it arrived the bacon was about 2.5.  Made me nervous, but I figured a super expensive restaurant couldn't go around making it's customers sick, so I ate it.  I'm happy to report there were no side affects.  Not like those sausage patties at the Subic Bay Officer's Club in 1984.

* I recall the menu said something like "28" as the price for this hamburger.

Edited by Bullneck

17 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

#3.  Crispy bacon sucks.  It's gotta be right in that sweet zone of flimsy but cooked.  The more you cook it, the less oil and flavor it has.

But it has more Maillard, amirite?

I’ll take 4 or 5 and be thankful to God for bacon. I’ll take 5 if I only get one choice in  this life because it more acceptable for all situations. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor