Bench Vise

@Asithappens

I believe today's Wiltons are Chinese made. If I were you, I'd check on Ebay and find an older American made vise. 5-6" is pretty big.

Here's a 4".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SCOUT-4-inch-Anvil-Style-Bench-Vise-with-Swivel-Base-Made-in-USA/123732373605?hash=item1ccf063065%3Ag%3AI9wAAOSwqExcr93l%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority!78739!US!-1&LH_ItemCondition=4

Edited by Steel Shank

Vintage is the price friendly way to go.  I bought an old Craftsman that was made in Japan from a retiree for $20, it's probably close to twice my age.  There are a few options still made in North America like Veritas but you'll pay through the nose for them.

here's a Chas Parker I got for free from my dad who bought it for $5 at a garage sale in FL with the intention of making a few bucks off it at the scrap yard.  it has not been restored, but the beer has been opened.  works perfectly. 

IMG-5430.jpg

here's a Scout 4 1/2 holding up a piece of 2x2'  1/4" plate to go on my square firebox.  got it off eBay for about 30 bucks.

IMG-5423.jpg

Thanks for turning me into a vice nerd, Shank.

• Like 1

here's a Chas Parker I got for free from my dad who bought it for $5 at a garage sale in FL with the intention of making a few bucks off it at the scrap yard.  it has not been restored, but the beer has been opened.  works perfectly. 
IMG-5430.jpg
here's a Scout 4 1/2 holding up a piece of 2x2'  1/4" plate to go on my square firebox.  got it off eBay for about 30 bucks.
IMG-5423.jpg

Thanks for turning me into a vice nerd, Shank.

It's a slippery slope. I have two vices mounted, a few I've given away, and fe more sitting around. Restoring a vise is a good thing.

The website Garage Journal has a wealth of info on vises. Here is a link to a 3500 page thread just on vises.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44782

Here is another that talks about the different types of vises and the parts. This will help you more than the one above.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

In addition to the Athol above, I have these as well:

• Like 1

The top one cam with a workbench I bought on CL for $35.

The Wilton I restored and it's mt daily use. The Wiltons marked "Chicago" are older than the "Schiller Park". Factory moved sometime back in the 40s or 50s.

The last one was my first vintage vise. I think it was made in the late 30s or 40s.

Old American made vises are so much cooler than more expensive Chinese vises you can buy new today. It's no contest. Be a man and buy an old vise, fix it up, and y'all start a new life together.

@Okie State Ideally, if you can check out the vise inperson, you'll get a better feel how it operates. If you do buy off Ebay, make sure the seller accepts returns in case the vise doesn't function the way you want. Estate sales are also a good way to find old vises at a good price.

Also, 3-4" is plenty big unless you a blacksmith or welder. Over 4" starts getting very big, very heavy and more expensive.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Like 1

I dig Steel's Wilton, they are all vises of beauty, but man that is beautiful. I have my grand pappy's workbench and two of his vises, as said before. Put the the workbench on casters so I can use both vises for any situation.

c82ddea7cbb20478168a73fc022281e4.jpg6cbaaba94543704ae2c9d8bacc407378.jpg

• Like 2

Amen, Steel, I encourage everyone to clean up and fix up old tools. The older the tool, the more it was made to last. A bench vise is the perfect example of that, forget buying new, buy old and fix it up, they last, as you stated, for centuries.

• Like 2

Anvil talk got me curious, I dont have one, my vises are enough for me, the work I do is mostly woodwork. Did some shopping around and have a friend with a birthday coming in the next week or two. He's more on the mechanic side, metal on metal violence, and a proper anvil is expensive, so I got him this here. Hell I might get me one as well, I like how it can be used as a guide/rest (see Steels video)be239301fc495404b00a6a90e2eeba77.jpg

• Like 3