Bench Vise

On 4/29/2019 at 4:41 PM, Steel Shank said:

I have my grandfather's. One of my son's will get it eventually.
0963489be7f84a05798d911ec13e7dcf.jpg

Congrats, that anvil is badass. I keep hoping to find one at a garage sale, not having any luck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dewey said:

Anvil talk got me curious, I dont have one, my vises are enough for me, the work I do is mostly woodwork. Did some shopping around and have a friend with a birthday coming in the next week or two. He's more on the mechanic side, metal on metal violence, and a proper anvil is expensive, so I got him this here. Hell I might get me one as well, I like how it can be used as a guide/rest (see Steels video)be239301fc495404b00a6a90e2eeba77.jpg

I think these are pretty useful. Inexpensive, portable, effective.

Everyone likes to get some old vise and restore it but I wouldn't. Do some googling on ductile iron and vises. The DI is much stronger than cast iron, like double. It's only been around since the 1940s.

I went with this Yost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E8ITETS/

If you can wait, Amazon usually runs a big sale on Yost once or twice a year. I paid $120 in early December.

Looks at picture, immediately has OCD flare up....   you sure that particle board is gonna hold?  
I'm vexed
/true detective 
Thats not standard ol particle board. Heavy duty shit used as floor decking. Menonites helped build it. Gonna out last me.
b093ade9d6ba8363aea8a7aad6cc3f88.jpg63ea154eb720e619643ee3d12963a416.jpg28a17d0e7038b5a4e5f7242a2c806fba.jpg006f989496ffcb13368a4892462b242c.jpg842c66844ace9d6ff5bffffe72350b5c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

topper sure...  flooring is made to resist load from one direction.  That vise will put a rotating force on the corner of a material made to only stop stuff from pushing straight down.  I'm sure it'll work and that's cool.  I'd be worried about my toes.

I'd go with 4x4 legs, my top would be a glue-up 2x12. Would keep in mind where the vise goes, position of the work surface. Then I would drill holes on the work top for my bench dogs, I'm not a fan of pegboard, but it does serve a purpose, some throw plywood up instead, then throw screws or nails wherever you like to hang whatever you want.

For me, I want a strong work surface, I'm going to spill glue and epoxies on it. I'm going to clamp things to it, hammer on it, so a nice looking surface isnt where I'm going.