Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

This is food related but not about food. I have come around on Guy Fieri. I am a fan. Dude is just who he is and I am sure he is aware everyone thinks he looks absurd. He just owns it.

I’ve always liked him. DDD is my favorite mindless show after a hard day’s work. You’re correct he is who he is and owns it. I find that respectable in most folks. His Ranch Kitchen show is generally good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Deej said:

I've had them. Mom grew beautiful tomatoes in her garden during my childhood. I just don't like raw tomatoes. I can handle them in paper thin slices on something, but the texture just sits wrong with me. 

Same. Unless it’s in salsa or pico, I’ll probably throw out the raw tomato slices. 

• Like 1

Plus he's done some good work raising money for unemployed restaurant workers, believe he's raised over 20+ million. 

Yep. I kind of see him as the matthew mcconaughey of food tv. He is who is and owns it. Does food things for people and seems genuine. 95% of the food he feature looks awesome.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Same. Unless it’s in salsa or pico, I’ll probably throw out the raw tomato slices. 

Yep. I can handle it in pico or ceviche, etc. It's just large pieces of tomato I can't deal with. 

To the raw tomato haters--have you ever eaten a home-grown tomato? They boast quite possibly the greatest difference in terms of quality of flavor versus what you will find at the store.

Fresh, home-grown cherry tomatoes are better than candy, and a thick slice of perfectly ripened beefsteak tomato makes the B in BLT superfluous. I am not exaggerating.

EDIT: I see my question was redundant. Oops. Still, if you had the right tomato ...

Edited by Braff Zacklin

On 5/10/2020 at 11:25 PM, Sam Lin said:

I think something along this line was posted on the Shag, but TX is lucky to be able to rip on Rudy's. It's better BBQ than 98% of the BBQ in the US. There's a location in Phoenix, and I gladly eat there whenever convenient.

That was me that said that. There's probably 5 or 6 places where I live that have better brisket, or sausage, or turkey, or whatever better than Rudy's. But overall, Rudy's is consistent, and consistently good to great. My aunt grew up in Houston, but has lived in Seattle for the last 30 years. When she comes to town you can feed her Rudy's and she's in heaven. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

and a thick slice of perfectly ripened beefsteak tomato makes the B in BLT superfluous. I am not exaggerating.

I do love bacon as much as the next man.  but I agree, a ‘mater and mayo sammich on toast with lots of salt and pepper is 👌 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 1:05 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t want to get flamed in the Texas BBQ thread. Rudy’s moist brisket is pretty good. I love their smoked prime rib. Pretty solid baby back ribs as well. 

Nothing wrong with Rudy's at all. I am not a BBQ snob, though. I got a chopped sandwich, potato salad last year in Frisco and it was damn good.

This is food related but not about food. I have come around on Guy Fieri. I am a fan. Dude is just who he is and I am sure he is aware everyone thinks he looks absurd. He just owns it.

Plus he's done some good work raising money for unemployed restaurant workers, believe he's raised over 20+ million. 

Yeah....I’ve rally come to judge folks mostly on whether they’re good and decent people. He’s cheesy and looks ridiculous...but by all accounts he’s a good guy. He genuinely tries to boost the profile of small businesses, he’s raised real money for restaurant workers - good dude in my book.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:03 AM, Parliament said:

Applebee's has a few good things on their menu.

I'll eat a kickass grilled cheeseburger with everything before steak.

Bacon in/on everything was a stupid trend and I am glad it finally jumped the shark.

Good observation.  I didn't really think about it until you posted it that yeah, the bacon with everything seems to be gone.  Of course, I've been to a grand total of maybe 4 restaurants in the last 4 months.  But it also did appear to take the "some version of Pork Belly" trend with it as well.  That was getting very redundant. 

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Salmon is better than Tuna, in almost every application.

Even sashimi.  fight me.

Fatty salmon is my favorite nigiri. I'm not sure I'd make a claim that salmon is better than tuna across the board but I can see it.

And Rudy's spicy chop fucks. Their St. Louis ribs aren't bad either.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Salmon is better than Tuna, in almost every application.

Even sashimi.  fight me.

Raw salmon is better than raw tuna. Cooked, the other way around, if the tuna is cooked correctly. Salmon is one of my least favorite cooked fish. 

30 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I fucking hate Panera Bread.

i can't remember who posted it about panera, but every time i drive by the one near my office i think of it and chuckle because its so spot on (doing my best to paraphrase it):

"why are you paying $27 for a can of campbell's soup mixed with water heated in a microwave and half an airport kiosk sandwich for $27?  because fuck you, that's why"

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

it is with my family

Women LOVE Panera bread, and I don't know why. A coworker in my office lunch group always picked Panera bread when it was her turn to pick the restaurant. My wife also loves Panera. She subscribes to the monthly coffee service. It's not a bad deal for $9 a month. 

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Women LOVE Panera bread, and I don't know why. A coworker in my office lunch group always picked Panera bread when it was her turn to pick the restaurant. My wife also loves Panera. She subscribes to the monthly coffee service. It's not a bad deal for $9 a month. 

It's also really popular in my office too (thank God for the rona). When we would have a meeting for lunch we would always have that. I'm sorry i don't want a cucumber sammich.

20 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

It's also really popular in my office too (thank God for the rona). When we would have a meeting for lunch we would always have that. I'm sorry i don't want a cucumber sammich.

I usually ordered the cheapest thing on their menu, and picked up something else when we got back to the office. 

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I make my BLT without the T --- Just a butt load of B - good sourdough, romaine lettuce and and a shit ton of Dukes

But i do like tomatoes.

I prefer avocado instead of tomato 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Fatty salmon is my favorite nigiri. I'm not sure I'd make a claim that salmon is better than tuna across the board but I can see it.

And Rudy's spicy chop fucks. Their St. Louis ribs aren't bad either.

Toro — awesome

Rudy’s — not so much.