Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I heard a lot of hype around Cabo Bob’s burritos and finally got to try them about a month ago. It was good, but I honestly still like freebirds more. Plus, they go to the chipotle school of wrapping the burrito up essentially into a big ball, which is more difficult to eat. I didn’t realize until yesterday that there is one in Houston, so I have it another go. Really like the fresh tortillas but I stand by opinion that freebirds is better. However, Cabo bob’s is still better than shitpotle.

What other good burrito places are in Houston?

I don’t think most recommendations would matter 

I love Freebirds like a mofo but I meet a lot of people around the office (pre covid) that really hated it, like disgusted and I never knew where that came from. Did Freebirds ever have some bad shit happen to them worse than Chipotle or something I wasn't aware of?

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, Zepol87 said:

I love Freebirds like a mofo but I meet a lot of people around the office (pre covid) that really hated it, like disgusted and I never knew where that came from. Did Freebirds ever have some bad shit happen to them worse than Chipotle or something I wasn't aware of?

Aggy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, Zepol87 said:

Nothing there is awful,  but everything is subpar.  So their burritos are a collection of 20 subpar ingredients.  Which equals trash. 

Freebirds is just fine. Probably fairly dependent on location. And it’s not Aggy. Sure, the first Texas location was there, but it wasn’t started there.

What is funny about the freebirds hate is that many that hate it seem to think Torchy’s is somehow better.

Best burrito in Houston is the Mateo burrito with habanero salsa from Mario’s Taco and Burger house. Don’t bother changing my mind because you are wrong.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Freebirds is just fine. Probably fairly dependent on location. And it’s not Aggy. Sure, the first Texas location was there, but it wasn’t started there.

What is funny about the freebirds hate is that many that hate it seem to think Torchy’s is somehow better.

Best burrito in Houston is the Mateo burrito with habanero salsa from Mario’s Taco and Burger house. Don’t bother changing my mind because you are wrong.

Torchy’s is below average. Fight me. It’s a decent bar food. The only location I like in Houston is in the Heights because it’s built around a large bar/patio. Yes I know about the Secret Menu. Still below average. It’s baffling to see people in Houston lined up around the block to eat there. They could go to a taco truck and get a much better and cheaper meal.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Torchy’s is below average. Fight me. It’s a decent bar food. The only location I like in Houston is in the Heights because it’s built around a large bar/patio. Yes I know about the Secret Menu. Still below average. It’s baffling to see people in Houston lined up around the block to eat there. They could go to a taco truck and get a much better and cheaper meal.    

They line up for it in most cities, not just Houston. But freebirds and torchy’s are on the same level. Acceptable fast food “Mexican”. Nothing more, nothing less.*

Torchy’s queso is pretty great though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I tried Cabo Bob’s twice. I liked the tortillas and how fresh it all was, but I just thought it tasted ok. I am thinking it was a seasoning thing.

It probably took me a half dozen trips to find what I liked but my office is in a bit of a food desert for lunch (at least quick food) so I was forced to give it more chances than I normally would. 

• Like 1

Big fan of Cabo bobs, actually. Their grilled beef is on point, the shredded brisket is really good, and the boy loves the fried fish burrito (I like it too, from time to time). The spicy chipotle sauce is really good, the ingredients are fresh, and the tortilla made as you order? That’s solid. Freebirds is fine, but meh. Chipotle...is what you eat when you have to.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2020 at 11:05 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Chipotle’s bowls are pretty good. I can’t even remember the last time I ordered a burrito there. Their tacos are a joke, and they somehow made the worst queso that has ever existed. 

I need to give Cabo Bob’s a try. 

Chipotle is like the McDonald's of this style of "Mexican" food.  It's not that good, but it's good enough when you're hungry for it and it's your only option.

I've never ordered anything other than a burrito or bowl there, FWIW.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

39 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I enjoy Taco Cabana far more than Torchys. Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or just common sense. 

Taco C believe it or not,. makes a pretty good shredded chicken taco. It might be the item on their menu. 

Taco C's breakfast tacos are also much than Whataburger's. Location matters with Taco C. The cleaner the better. 

Chipotle is a lot like Chili’s to me - if I’m in a city with which I’m familiar or its a large city I’ll seek out something local. If I’m in bumfuck nowhere, I know what I’m getting with those options. Cities/towns like that, the place where “all the locals eat” is dogshit 90% of the time....

Edited by Ignatius

2 hours ago, futureman said:

chipotle barbacoa bowl with rice, beans, peppers, cheese and extra salsa plus guac >>>> all other places that do anything similar 

Yeah,  I'll never get the Chipotle hate.  They have very few ingredients and they're all really good.  The cilantro-lime rice is awesome,  the salsas are all good,  and all the meats are good as long as you're not getting the bottom of the bin.  Oh and the guac is damn good too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

csb/ When my UT daughter (no pics) needed to come home during the COVID in the spring, the only thing open near her was Chipotle’s.  She ate it for dinner, then the leftovers the next day for brunch just before I got there, and after about 20 mins in the car with me she puked it all up.  She said never again. 

51 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Yeah,  I'll never get the Chipotle hate.  They have very few ingredients and they're all really good.  The cilantro-lime rice is awesome,  the salsas are all good,  and all the meats are good as long as you're not getting the bottom of the bin.  Oh and the guac is damn good too.

That’ll be extra.

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Is this even unpopular? Torchy's is fucking garbage. 

There’s a segment of the UT crowd that is fiercely loyal to Torchy’s because it started in Austin.

There’s another crowd that thinks their In-N-Out cool because they order from the “Secret Menu”. 

On 9/7/2020 at 10:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

Big fan of Cabo bobs, actually. Their grilled beef is on point, the shredded brisket is really good, and the boy loves the fried fish burrito (I like it too, from time to time). The spicy chipotle sauce is really good, the ingredients are fresh, and the tortilla made as you order? That’s solid. Freebirds is fine, but meh. Chipotle...is what you eat when you have to.

I used to be a steak man myself, but I try to be pescatarian now and their fried fish burrito is damn good. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There’s a segment of the UT crowd that is fiercely loyal to Torchy’s because it started in Austin.

There’s another crowd that thinks their In-N-Out cool because they order from the “Secret Menu”. 

If the regular menu is such shit, maybe make the secret menu the regular menu. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

If the regular menu is such shit, maybe make the secret menu the regular menu. 

Not a terrible idea.

Torchy’s  wisely expanded to Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Colorado. That’s tap water in a Tex Mex desert. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 9/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, threesheets said:

Chipotle is the classic example of a solid chain.  A lot of places have a local version that is probably better, but if you don't know the local version, or there isn't a local version, it's going to get the job done.

I live in a place way too small and white to have anything remotely like it.  I was in Rochester, MN recently and got Chipotle because they don't have a local version that's any better, and I was craving a burrito.  Good enough.

I'll stand by McDonald's analogy.  If I'm on the road, I don't have the time to pull off and find the best burger in _______.  I'd never call McDonald's the best of anything, but I know what I'm getting, and I know it will taste fine, and it doesn't matter where the hell I am.  Same for Chipotle.

18 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Hunt Brothers pizza is actually pretty damn good, especially for chain pizza from gas stations.

on those nights you’re feeling nihilistic about how shitty your life turned out, pull into a CEFCO and get one...it’ll put a smile on your face.

You need Casey's in your life.

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Chipotle is the classic example of a solid chain.  A lot of places have a local version that is probably better, but if you don't know the local version, or there isn't a local version, it's going to get the job done.

I live in a place way too small and white to have anything remotely like it.  I was in Rochester, MN recently and got Chipotle because they don't have a local version that's any better, and I was craving a burrito.  Good enough.

I'll stand by McDonald's analogy.  If I'm on the road, I don't have the time to pull off and find the best burger in _______.  I'd never call McDonald's the best of anything, but I know what I'm getting, and I know it will taste fine, and it doesn't matter where the hell I am.  Same for Chipotle.

Chipotle was a McD’s creation.

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I used to be a steak man myself, but I try to be pescatarian now and their fried fish burrito is damn good. 

Fish belongs in tacos but it does NOT have a place in a burrito. There is no logical explanation for this. And yet, it is 100% accurate. 

In all seriousness, I won't eat a fish burrito because I find the idea of accidentally taking a huge bite of fish pretty unappealing. I need my fish to be balanced out and complimented by lettuce/cabbage/roughage, salsas, avocado and lime juice. With a burrito, the content distribution is always an issue and sometimes you end up with a bite that's all protein, or rice, or beans, or guac. Which normally would be completely fine. Unless that bite is hours-old fast-food fried fish.

That being said, Cabo Bob's serves some of the best fast-food fish tacos in town, or anywhere for that matter. They're really damn good.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Fish belongs in tacos but it does NOT have a place in a burrito. There is no logical explanation for this. And yet, it is 100% accurate. 

In all seriousness, I won't eat a fish burrito because I find the idea of accidentally taking a huge bite of fish pretty unappealing. I need my fish to be balanced out and complimented by lettuce/cabbage/roughage, salsas, avocado and lime juice. With a burrito, the content distribution is always an issue and sometimes you end up with a bite that's all protein, or rice, or beans, or guac. Which normally would be completely fine. Unless that bite is hours-old fast-food fried fish.

That being said, Cabo Bob's serves some of the best fast-food fish tacos in town, or anywhere for that matter. They're really damn good.

I had never considered this, but you're 100% dead on.  I don't know if I've ever even seen a fish burrito on a menu now that I think about it.

I would add that there's something about the full enclosure of the burrito that allows the meat to take on extra heat and moisture from the sauces/salsas.  It would definitely fuck with the fish in the way that an open taco never does.

Plus, a lot of times I don't finish my burrito in one sitting, and I'm not exactly a small guy.  I would assume this is true for a lot of folks.  And there are few things as uncouth as left over fish.