Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

On 3/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, Enchubben said:

I refuse to eat restaurant wings once I’ve started making my own in the air fryer. Now every once I a while I will use pluckers sauce because I’m lazy, but I like my wings better than hooters/bw3/pluckers you name it.

El tiempo (navigation for the number of tables, or Washington for eye candy) is 10x better than the closest competitor for fajitas.  Probably 50x better than anything I ever had in Austin. That melted butter goodness has me hard right now just thinking about it.

However - that old chorizo stuffed chicken they used to have at Trudy’s paired with a Mexican martini was a hell of a meal. Removing that from the menu should be punishable by death.

#TeamRanch

#Teamfuckcoffee

Crush strawberry is a top 3 soda. 

El tiempo is overpriced and pretty average for Houston tex mex. They have great margs and the fajitas aren’t bad, but 10x better than closest competitor when Lupe is better anyway? At least you are posting in the right thread. 

2 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

El tiempo is overpriced and pretty average for Houston tex mex. They have great margs and the fajitas aren’t bad, but 10x better than closest competitor when Lupe is better anyway? At least you are posting in the right thread. 

Lupe fajitas over El Tiempo. WTF?

You are definitely in the right thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lupe fajitas over El Tiempo. WTF?

You are definitely in the right thread. 

I don’t think El Tiempo is bad, but for what they charge they need to be head and fuckin shoulders above every other texmex place in Houston. The fact that I also find their food to be average - as far as “good” texmex goes, gives them very little leeway in my book. If there weren’t one super close to my house that I also have a gift card too, I’d never go and I’d never miss it. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

On 3/6/2021 at 7:57 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

They are expensive. The rest of your post is trash and so wrong you should feel bad. Lupe tortilla fajitas are just ok and their massive burrito tortillas are just stupid. 

On 3/6/2021 at 10:35 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

I don’t think El Tiempo is bad, but for what they charge they need to be head and fuckin shoulders above every other texmex place in Houston. The fact that I also find their food to be average - as far as “good” texmex goes, gives them very little leeway in my book. If there weren’t one super close to my house that I also have a gift card too, I’d never go and I’d never miss it. 

They are pretty much head and shoulders better. The only caveat to my statement is that I generally only eat the chicken fajitas, so that’s my baseline. Weirdly I find their margaritas to be nothing special, but they are strong AF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They are expensive. The rest of your post is trash and so wrong you should feel bad. Lupe tortilla fajitas are just ok and their massive burrito tortillas are just stupid. 

They are pretty much head and shoulders better. The only caveat to my statement is that I generally only eat the chicken fajitas, so that’s my baseline. Weirdly I find their margaritas to be nothing special, but they are strong AF. 

Haven’t had chicken fajitas at either so I can’t comment, but I much prefer the beef at Lupe. I will concede that their tortillas are stupid. I don’t think el tiempo sucks or anything but I don’t get the hype either. Different strokes I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Haven’t had chicken fajitas at either so I can’t comment, but I much prefer the beef at Lupe. I will concede that their tortillas are stupid. I don’t think el tiempo sucks or anything but I don’t get the hype either. Different strokes I guess. 

Get the white corn tortillas at Lupe. Incredible. And normal size. 

On 3/12/2021 at 3:22 PM, CooterBrown said:

Beef Tri-Tip and Pork Tenderloin do not deserve to be part of their respective animal.  They are mediocre, flavorless, boring, and the go-to for talentless cooks.

That's interesting. I also do not like pork tenderloin. I think it's by far the worst cut of the pig.

Pork tenderloin is easy to fuck up, dry out, and render crappy, but it's great if done right.  It needs to marinated for awhile and cooked pretty slow to keep juicy, but it's not rocket science either.  And if you don't like a breaded tenderloin sandwich, you're out of your damn mind.

• Like 2

Never been a tamale guy, and always found that you need accoutrements to make them edible - whether that's salsa, cheese, sour cream etc. 

On girl scout cookies - I've only ever liked thin mints and samoas. Those iced lemon ones are decent, too. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. But, my Girl Scout sold more of those and the boring shortbread than any of the others. Those are easily the two worst cookies.

Please tell your daughter to be careful around customers that buy shortbreads. Those people are obviously mentally deranged and dangerous.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The shortbread ones are straight crack.  I can't explain it because they are boring.  But they're also fucking delicious.

Case in point.

I'm glad I called this guy ... - GIF on Imgur

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 7:32 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Not sure if unpopular or not, but...

HEB’s jalapeño sausage is better than 90% of the sausage served at bbq joints in the state.

Brought some back with us from our last trip to Texas, got a nice little kick to it. 

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

My unpopular opinion: chorizo does nothing for me.

It would be ok if the people at the breakfast taco places would drain some of the grease off before putting it in the taco.  I’ve had grease leak out of the foil, through the bag, and onto the front seat.  I’m not a terribly healthy eating guy, but I draw a line when you fuck up my leather upholstery.

25 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Bagels.  I’ve had a few really good ones, but for the most part, especially untoasted, not a fan of tough, chewy boiled bread.  

A great bagel is pretty fucking awesome. Shitty and even normal bagels can be terrible.

Einstein’s bagels are exceptional. 

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

@RDCanecutterWhen you are in front of a South American firing squad a cig tastes pretty good.

Firing squad? I am a simple retired man, making little golden gold fish.

Donuts suck. Deep dish pizza sucks. Light beer sucks, and so does that fuckin foo foo craft beer. Ribs cause heartburn, and suck.

46 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Firing squad? I am a simple retired man, making little golden gold fish.

Donuts suck. Deep dish pizza sucks. Light beer sucks, and so does that fuckin foo foo craft beer. Ribs cause heartburn, and suck.

Reminder that I need to finish 100* years of solitude. If you need anyone to ever read half of a book and never finish it I'm your guy.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I like the chicken fajitas at Pappasito's.  I put some rice, chicken, cheese, pico, butter sauce, and salsa in one of those tortillas.  I said goddamn, goddamn, goddamn.  Their rice sucks on it's own though.  It has a decent flavor but it is always dry. 

• Hook 'Em 2