Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

6 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I haven’t had a sardine in decades. My wife has nightmares about the time I tried to get her to eat one, so they are no bueno in our house. I think I’ll buy a can and reassert my manhood. 

Not exactly a sardine, but my wife makes homemade Ceasar with pureed anchovies.  I'll pop a couple of those fuckers out of the can when she's making it.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Some of those refrigerated packaged burgers at convenience stores are similar in taste and texture, if you're really feeling nostalgic.  I haven't eaten any of that since being a poor college kid, but at the time, they did remind me of my elementary school cafeteria burgers.

Don't know what it was but Texas Stadium had some of the best worst burgers I've had, maybe because they kept them warm in a steam container or they were wrapped in foil package like Sonic does but I'd slam a few every trip there. 

I haven’t had a sardine in decades. My wife has nightmares about the time I tried to get her to eat one, so they are no bueno in our house. I think I’ll buy a can and reassert my manhood. 

Go with the canned fish steaks with Louisiana hot sauce. Eat with a spoon while drinking a cheap American beer. It’s a patriotic act.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Depends on the stout. I’m not a fan of Guinness Extra Stout. Chewy is a good description. Guinness Draft is heaven sent. It’s a light bodied beverage meant for drinking in mass quantities. It’s relatively low in alcohol.
This is interesting because I like Extra Stout while Draught is just okay. You can definitely slam them all day long though.

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I recommend the ones from Costco. There have been a couple of different brands but they come in packs of 6 or 7 tins.  No skins or bones and the fish is nice and firm. 

Cheapo ones from the grocery store have bones and skin Typically which I dont necessarily mind but are rather mushy which is off putting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

big red is terrible and I can't think of anything that could be worse with BBQ.  maybe dumpster ass juice.  /team RC

yellow mustard seems like poor people food and totally ruins a burger.   /team mayo 

I generally don't get the mayo hatred, at all. It's fine on it's own in some instances, but that shit can elevate any other condiment it's mixed with into something else fucking tremendous. Ketchup and Mayo? That's basically Raising Cain's sauce. Mayo and Mustard? Sure. Oh, Honey Mustard salad dressing, which is fucking delicious, is basically 3 ingredients. Lately I've been mixing homemade mayo with this shit:

Tattoo Scotch Bonnet Curry Hot Sauce

and you know what, it's pretty fucking good. Mayo is like the Shane Battier of condiments, it elevates the play of everything around it.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

big red is terrible and I can't think of anything that could be worse with BBQ.  maybe dumpster ass juice.  /team RC
yellow mustard seems like poor people food and totally ruins a burger.   /team mayo 

Yes on the big red part and hell no on the mustard part. Actually, the big red schtick in the BBQ thread is an attempt at humor. Not many people over 10 years old actually drink big red. So the big red part probably doesn’t belong in this thread.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

All the fish with hot sauces are good.

8c3a234b364f6873c280902f033b77f4_large.p

3665430a7e996559ce2a2e4dedf0b6cd.jpeg

71hadfe39RL._SX425_PIbundle-9,TopRight,0

I dig on herring, man.

Tinned seafood of all sorts is criminally underrated. 

Good anchovies on a thin crust pizza with only tomato sauce (no cheese) is food for the gods. 

And when you make Caesar dressing, there is no such thing as too much garlic or anchovies.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Randall's meats are the same quality as HEB and significantly cheaper. $4 beef kabobs are pretty tough to beat. 

Nope. Objective wrong. In support, I would offer the following:

Wagyu brisket
Wagyu other meats (my location has about 5 usual cuts.
Prime Dino-ribs

On 4/17/2021 at 3:42 PM, 4th&Five said:

Is the saved money worth an extra trip to Randall’s?

You'll pay more for everything else.  It's a Safeway, for goodness' sake.

Edit:  Except for the $1.50 cinnamon roll 4-pack, the 'Oops We Baked Too Much But We Don't Call It That Because That's A Kroger Thing' rack (if you can find it), and there's usually a few good sales going on (more than the bogus 30 cent markdown after they just raised the regular price 30 cents that all stores do these day.)

Regarding canned fish snacks, EVOO salmon packs are the best (though not actually in a can.)

Anyways, am I the only person in the world who never buys fries with their cheeseburger?  Too much extra bad fats and carbs, the cheeseburger is enough junk food for a meal.

Edited by clapclapclap

3 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Anyways, am I the only person in the world who never buys fries with their cheeseburger?  Too much extra bad fats and carbs, the cheeseburger is enough junk food for a meal.

Like the fries are really going to put that meal over the top and throw off your diet for the whole day. 

• Haha 2

On 3/24/2021 at 10:25 AM, castolon said:

This sounds great.

I used to pour goldfish in a bowl, put ranch on top and eat it with a spoon. Horrifying in hindsight

Drunken goldfish chili when nothing else is left in college was glorious.  Sometimes goldfish, ranch and hot sauce, sometimes you melt cheese on top or throw in some jalapeños.  The options are endless depending on what you have in the fridge or pantry.  Don’t sleep on the wolf brand and goldfish mixed.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I wouldn't say "never", but more often than not, if I have a choice, I won't order fries.

The "choice", of course, is onion rings.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:38 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Randall's meats are the same quality as HEB and significantly cheaper. $4 beef kabobs are pretty tough to beat. 

HEB is considerably cheaper than Randall’s for almost everything, including most of the meat. though if I need beef kabobs I’ll take the hit. 

18 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Small order of fries to keep the dogs distracted from the hamburger. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Boar’s Head Everything bagel humus with jicama sticks. Try just any humus with jicama. It’s bad ass. 

I would quibble with this being non-topical. Certainly an unusual opinion, but to be unpopular, it would require people to try it and not like it. I would think the vast majority of people who try this will like it, because jicama is criminally underrated as a dippable delectable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Deej said:

I have to go to a dinner party where one guest requested nothing be cooked with onions. 

Fuck you. Stay home. 

We had a deer lease way back when wherein one of the lease members had a kid that hated onions and garlic.  We all liked to cook good food and always served whatever the hell we wanted to.  That kid was cordially invited to enjoy our never-ending supply of peanut butter, jelly, and white bread.  The kid eventually grew out of it. 

TLDR -- Sad that your dinner party guest never got tough love out at a deer lease.

• Like 1