Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Mayonnaise is only ok when mixed into chicken salad. 

The only way I can eat mayo is in tuna and it's really only in there to hold the tuna together for the sandwich.  Mayo is gross. 

And the best ranch is the buttermilk variety.  The regular ranch sucks. 

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

The only way I can eat mayo is in tuna and it's really only in there to hold the tuna together for the sandwich.  Mayo is gross. 

And the best ranch is the buttermilk variety.  The regular ranch sucks. 

All of you lie and the truth is not within you:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mayonnaise-sauces-recipes_n_5688423

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

guys, seared tuna steaks are not good.  its just papery and dry and void of all the tasty oiliness and flavor of tuna.

eat that shit raw, or even canned. 

A well seared tuna steak is raw or close to it on the inside and salty and savory from the quick heat and crust on the outside. It’s got all that flavor and oil.

I have been to too many fish places where the tuna comes out as you described— either because the kitchen doesn’t know what they’re doing, is skimping on the thickness of the steak and can’t handle the sear, or because they cater to inland tourists who can’t handle the idea of raw fish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A well seared tuna steak is raw or close to it on the inside and salty and savory from the quick heat and crust on the outside. It’s got all that flavor and oil.
I have been to too many fish places where the tuna comes out as you described— either because the kitchen doesn’t know what they’re doing, is skimping on the thickness of the steak and can’t handle the sear, or because they cater to inland tourists who can’t handle the idea of raw fish. 

Yep. Caught a big-ass yellowfin last summer when we were vacationing with family. Prepared it two ways: 1)sashimi (fucking fantastic) and 2) as about 1/3 inch thick steaks, that I seared in a super hot pan for about 20 seconds per side, leaving it raw in the middle. Put on a toasted bun with wasabi Mayo….sheeeeit, that was good.

Gotta say, I’m amused that half of those are “aoli” - in other words…..mayonnaise.
Aioli and mayonnaise are not the same thing. Most of the things called aioli are not, they are actually mayonnaise. Aioli should just be garlic and olive oil. But in the modern American parlance, often seasoned mayonnaise is called aioli. And mayonnaise being a mother sauce, it can take a lot of seasoning. But it isn't aioli.

Sometimes dictation nails the word aioli. And sometimes it completely butchers it. No idea why.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Also this is my preferred style of naoch....it can be done with chips or half tostada shells. Also can add asada or pastor

Appetizers Menu | Starters, Snacks, Finger Food - Grill & Bar Menu | Chili's

over this kind that doesn't have proper chip to topping ratio...

Loaded Nachos - with Venison Chili - Honeybunch Hunts

Yes.  The carefully constructed nacho plate beats the hell out of the bowl-of-slop-on-chips version every single time.

• Like 1

Yes.  The carefully constructed nacho plate beats the hell out of the bowl-of-slop-on-chips version every single time.

They are two separate dishes.

Ballpark nachos, with canned cheese and jalapeños, are a thing of beauty. The perfect symbiosis with an expensive draft beer, to produce both a culinary experience AND righteous farts, is sublime.

And carefully crafted and plated nachos (either one single tortilla chips or an larger tostadas, which is the original form at the place of their invention, El Moderno in Piedras) are a perfect meal.

The restaurants that serve a pile of chips with shit slapped on top meet neither of those standards. Shame on them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ballpark nachos, with canned cheese and jalapeños, are a thing of beauty. The perfect symbiosis with an expensive draft beer, to produce both a culinary experience AND righteous farts, is sublime.

And carefully crafted and plated nachos (either one single tortilla chips or an larger tostadas, which is the original form at the place of their invention, El Moderno in Piedras) are a perfect meal.

The restaurants that serve a pile of chips with shit slapped on top meet neither of those standards. Shame on them.

Ballpark nachos are glorious.  But they are actually just chips and queso and I refer to them as such.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ballpark nachos are it’s own category vs the other two imo. 

especially the ones that come with cheese on top as I posted earlier or the following:

image.jpeg.1da16641f0d4d43cf8720a78e41963bd.jpeg

On 8/3/2021 at 2:01 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

The best way to do nachos is with bigass homemade tostadas. Spread them on a tray and get the shredded cheese on each individual chip. Toppings only jalepenos and maybe a bit of pico de gallo. 

This is how I learned it, from a grandfather of German descent, no less.  He was born in Spring, FWIW.

I don't care for the lettuce, sour cream, and most of the other stuff that gets dumped on there.  I guess I'm not a 'deep dish' kind of guy with regard to nachos.

I bet ranch would go good on nachos 

My S-I-L ordered a few pizzas and kept telling Dominoes, “extra ranch please”. So those bastards used ranch instead of marinara as the pizza base and we ended up with ranch and cheese pizzas. Pretty gross but I ate a couple slices due to my hunger and drunkenness.
My SIL OCD got her in trouble and her damn pride wouldn’t let her call them back to re-make those pizzas. So we were stuck with them and the kids were pissed. The drunk adults ate most of it.

14 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

My S-I-L ordered a few pizzas and kept telling Dominoes, “extra ranch please”. So those bastards used ranch instead of marinara as the pizza base and we ended up with ranch and cheese pizzas. Pretty gross but I ate a couple slices due to my hunger and drunkenness.
My SIL OCD got her in trouble and her damn pride wouldn’t let her call them back to re-make those pizzas. So we were stuck with them and the kids were pissed. The drunk adults ate most of it.

That's pretty funny. I bet whoever made that pizza was like "watch this shit" and then walked out the door Half Baked style. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

silence of the lambs great big fat person GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/3/2021 at 2:01 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t like loaded nachos. I have almost never had them done in a way that didn’t destroy the integrity of the chip. And the stuff that goes on them, I like better in a taco or burrito.

The best way to do nachos is with bigass homemade tostadas. Spread them on a tray and get the shredded cheese on each individual chip. Toppings only jalepenos and maybe a bit of pico de gallo. 

Yep, one of the things that Joe T Garcia's does right.

Cheese Nachos - Joe T. Garcia's