Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

On 5/16/2019 at 6:40 PM, Deej said:

Mom filled an ice cube tray with Kool Aid, covered it in Saran Wrap, and put toothpicks through it. Ghetto-sicles 

We were fancy. My mom and grandmother had about 100 of these between them. I don't ever recall my mother actually using hers. My grandmother always had orange popsicles when we came over.

Vintage-Tupperware-Ice-Tups-Complete-Set

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

My wife's contribution.

Biscuits suck and the only thing worse than biscuits alone are biscuits with gravy.

Sounds like my wife.... firmly held beliefs which are usually wrong. 

On 5/19/2019 at 3:42 PM, Cousin Strawberry said:

My wife's contribution.

Biscuits suck and the only thing worse than biscuits alone are biscuits with gravy.

Actually, a lot of biscuits do suck. But not categorically. Good biscuits are a sign of civilization. And good gravy with chunks of sausage in it can make even bad biscuits tolerable.

Can't get real Italian food in the US...   Just because your Ganny was from the old country doesn't mean you can just add garlic, pancetta, and cream to pasta to make Carbonara.  Carbonara doesn't contain ANY garlic, cream, or pancetta!  This is but one example.

Edited by Loco

16 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, a lot of biscuits do suck. But not categorically. Good biscuits are a sign of civilization. And good gravy with chunks of sausage in it can make even bad biscuits tolerable.

A lot of places are serving round bread and calling them biscuits...

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Can't get real Italian food in the US...   Just because your Ganny was from the old country doesn't mean you can just add garlic, pancetta, and cream to pasta to make Carbonara.  Carbonara doesn't contain ANY garlic, cream, or pancetta!  This is but one example.

You're right except for the pancetta part.  Plenty of real Italians use pancetta in their carbonara...or guanciale.

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You're right except for the pancetta part.  Plenty of real Italians use pancetta in their carbonara...or guanciale.

Perhaps, but Carbonara is a Roman dish made from Guanciale not pancetta.  I live in an area with a lot of Italians (from Italy not Italian Americans) They will allow that it's a reasonable substitute...  but it's not the real thing.

I had to order guanciale from Amazon.

And don't even get me started on cream or butter in Cacio e Pepe

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Perhaps, but Carbonara is a Roman dish made from Guanciale not pancetta.  I live in an area with a lot of Italians (from Italy not Italian Americans) They will allow that it's a reasonable substitute...  but it's not the real thing.

Next you're gonna tell me I can't have red sauce on my steak pizziaola

It's the Great American melting pot.  We'll take your culinary culture and tradition, and twist it however we like.  Carbonara gets cream and pancetta.  Chicken tacos are called fajitas.  Meat-filled Czech pastries are called kolaches.  Dogs and cats living together, etc.

Because 'Murica!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's the Great American melting pot.  We'll take your culinary culture and tradition, and twist it however we like.  Carbonara gets cream and pancetta.  Chicken tacos are called fajitas.  Meat-filled Czech pastries are called kolaches.  Dogs and cats living together, etc.

Because 'Murica!

It's all fun and games till you go to a Chinese restaurant with ketchup on the table

On 5/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Celery has negative value.

There was a kid one year below my pledge class that was tall and gangly and kind of awkward. 

He ended up with the pledge nickname "Celery" because as one senior put it: "He's skinny and brings little value to the table"

1 hour ago, Loco said:

It's all fun and games till you go to a Chinese restaurant with ketchup on the table

In the 17th century, the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kê-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin Chinese guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish.[6][7] By the early 18th century, the table sauce had arrived in the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where English colonists first tasted it. The Malaysian-Malay word for the sauce was kicap or kecap (pronounced "kay-chap"). That word evolved into the English word "ketchup".[8] English settlers took ketchup with them to the American colonies.[1]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Loco said:

Fair enough.  I thought you were saying there’s no meat in it.  You are spot on with all of the above.

Do you live in Houston or Dallas?  Both have great Italian grocery stores (well I know Dallas does - pretty sure Houston does too) where you can pick up some guanciale.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Fair enough.  I thought you were saying there’s no meat in it.  You are spot on with all of the above.

Do you live in Houston or Dallas?  Both have great Italian grocery stores (well I know Dallas does - pretty sure Houston does too) where you can pick up some guanciale.

Jimmy's italian beef sandwich is one of the best things you can get. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Loco said:

no garlic or cream? "real italian" can fuck off

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Central Market sells it. If you're in Austin, so does Salt and Time.  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Central Market sells it. If you're in Austin, so does Salt and Time.  

Yeah, I'm not in Austin...  S. Florida

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

no garlic or cream? "real italian" can fuck off

Well played, that's an amazingly unpopular food opinion.  It's also very very wrong

12 minutes ago, Loco said:

Yeah, I'm not in Austin...  S. Florida

Well played, that's an amazingly unpopular food opinion.  It's also very very wrong

But if you can’t, in fact, get real Italian food in the US-your unpopular opinion that started that-then his opinion is actually the popular one.

Edited by formermav43

On 5/19/2019 at 3:42 PM, Cousin Strawberry said:

My wife's contribution.

My main skills are talking and cooking biscuits and getting drunk on the porch.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2019 at 12:28 PM, CooterBrown said:

I like Taco Ranch for what it is.  Plain ass white people tacos with better than average chips and salsa.  

tacos are supposed to be like pizza: good even when they’re bad.  taco ranch was the first time I almost chose to not finish a taco. 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Celery has negative value.

celery is loaded with insoluble fiber that will keep your ‘testines clean.  it’s priceless. 

5a8ccd071e7ff58bb71d3dd6192be7dd.jpg

5 hours ago, Bone3421 said:
On 5/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, AustinMT said:
I hate mayonnaise in all forms, aioli included.

Aioli isnt mayonnaise!!!

It shouldn’t be, but they way most places make it (by adding egg as an emulsifier, or just using a mayo base) it is....

celery is loaded with insoluble fiber that will keep your ‘testines clean.  it’s priceless. 
5a8ccd071e7ff58bb71d3dd6192be7dd.jpg

Great. Because of this, there’s gonna be like 20 Surly posters who spend the weekend with a celery stalk stuck up their ass. Which is a good 3-4 more than usual.

It shouldn’t be, but they way most places make it (by adding egg as an emulsifier, or just using a mayo base) it is....
Thats what i was referring to not your opinion...i hate places that put some seasoning in mayo and called it aioli....
Guess its one of those trivial things that grinds my gears

I thought aioli was egg and olive oil?

Whereas mayo was egg and vegetable oil.
Aioli is an emulsion that traditionally used garlic as the emulsufier. Also if it doesnt have a healthy amount of garlic in it then its not aioli. Egg yolks have been used to ease the emulsion for a longwhile now but it still needs to have garlic and olive oil to be an aioli
  • Like 1