Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

17 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Are fried eggs and chili acceptable?  Asking for a friend. 

you, fine sir, are looking for the steel shank thread, where men of virtue and status post such bastions of americana.  this is the thread for reprobates who eat ranch with their tamales. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Crawfish is disgusting and the only redeemable part of a good boil is the corn, sausage, and potatoes.

I said what I said.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Well, no, but if there's mushroom in the boil it's always my favorite part. Nothing else soaks up the spice the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Well, no, but if there's mushroom in the boil it's always my favorite part. Nothing else soaks up the spice the same.

i made it almost 40 years before discovering this fact.

i'll also say crawfish aren't worth the trouble and i'll usually fill up on the other stuff in the boil too.  my wife is nice enough to peel them for me most of the time though.

18 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

i made it almost 40 years before discovering this fact.

i'll also say crawfish aren't worth the trouble and i'll usually fill up on the other stuff in the boil too.  my wife is nice enough to peel them for me most of the time though.

Shrimp is so much better and a lot less trouble.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Shrimp is so much better and a lot less trouble.

I like that we politely call it 'de-vein' the shrimp.  When it's really an undignified, and bastardized, colonoscopy.

But yeah, ever year we'd attend a half dozen crawfish boils.  After about peeling and eating 2, I lose interest.  The vegetables and beer is all I care about.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:48 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

This is food related but not about food. I have come around on Guy Fieri. I am a fan. Dude is just who he is and I am sure he is aware everyone thinks he looks absurd. He just owns it.

Hating Guy Fieri is kind of like hating Nickleback.  I'm not necessarily a fan of either, but it's such a stock opinion that people feel the need to express to make sure everyone knows they're cool.

I've heard his restaurants suck, and yeah, he has ridiculous hair, but who gives a shit?  His show does a great job of highlighting mom and pop joints nationwide.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Crawfish is disgusting and the only redeemable part of a good boil is the corn, sausage, and potatoes.

I said what I said.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Strong opinion. Based on your profile picture, I assume you're in Houston and you could trip over plenty of good crawfish places. Hey, it's not for everybody. 

I will say traditional, purist Louisiana style boils are pretty bland. I attended a coon ass boil in Lake Jackson where they brought in a boil team/crawfish from Lafayette. Definitely quality, big crawfish, but I didn't think the boil spices were hot enough. I like external seasoning which is a sacrilege to the Louisianimals. BB's White Oak is my favorite crawfish place in Houston. They use a ton of butter, garlic and Tajin in their external seasoning. It's really good.  

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:00 PM, Gourmand said:

This gave me a chuckle.  My 9-year-old son and I are fans of Guy Fieri, and my kid loves DDD and Guy's Grocery Games.  I probably agree more with Anthony Bourdain's food opinions, but he always seemed like a bit of a dick, and while Guy can be obnoxious, he's a genuinely good dude.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This gave me a chuckle.  My 9-year-old son and I are fans of Guy Fieri, and my kid loves DDD and Guy's Grocery Games.  I probably agree more with Anthony Bourdain's food opinions, but he always seemed like a bit of a dick, and while Guy can be obnoxious, he's a genuinely good dude.

I definitely didn't get that vibe out of No Reservations and Parts Unknown.  Huge fan of both shows.

25 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I definitely didn't get that vibe out of No Reservations and Parts Unknown.  Huge fan of both shows.

I never saw either, but I read Kitchen Confidential and one of his cookbooks, and thought he came off as a dick at times in both.  But as we found out, he was a tortured soul who battled depression and substance abuse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I never saw either, but I read Kitchen Confidential and one of his cookbooks, and thought he came off as a dick at times in both.  But as we found out, he was a tortured soul who battled depression and substance abuse.

He's always said he was a monumental asshole when he was running restaurants, but everyone that talked about him afterwards said he was the nicest most genuine person you'd ever meet. 

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

We'll try to hit up some spots he's featured on his show if we're traveling anywhere he's been.  It kind of goes along with my sports venue tour, always make it a point to check out a campus or arena/stadium on our travels. 

same.  i've probably been to 50+ places he's had on the show.  the earlier years were more hit or miss but every place i've been to the last 5 years has been great.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:00 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Grew up in the great shithole of Louisiana and lived there for 18 years. Not once did I ever encounter a crawfish boil with stupid ass mushrooms in it.

Thank God.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Texas isn't a great area for tomatoes. It's too hot here. Gotta get up to the midwest for really great quality tomatoes.

This times a thousand. Family lives in Indiana and when we go up there it’s like we are eating a completely different fruit from what is sold in Texas. It is a stunning difference. To make Texas tomatoes edible, mix it with onion slices, cucumber, vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil and you’ve got a very tasty side dish.

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

This times a thousand. Family lives in Indiana and when we go up there it’s like we are eating a completely different fruit from what is sold in Texas. It is a stunning difference. To make Texas tomatoes edible, mix it with onion slices, cucumber, vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil and you’ve got a very tasty side dish.

You have obviously never had these....they are fantastic.

spacer.png

My wife loves both of those shows and I’ll admit to watching them with her from time to time. The Grocery Games show is actually pretty cool. It’s amazing to see what the chefs can create with the sometimes bizarre combination of ingredients they are required to use. I’m sure he’s helped many up and coming chefs gain exposure they would never had gotten without being on one of his shows.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ss13 said:

Giada approved. 

I’ve mentioned it before, but still amazes me Food Network doesn’t have the rights to Emeril Live & play reruns at like 6 & 10 every weeknight or some shit. He’s why they exist. 

He seems like the only one of their male stars who hasn't been hit with the MeToo virus.

22 hours ago, ss13 said:

Giada approved. 

I’ve mentioned it before, but still amazes me Food Network doesn’t have the rights to Emeril Live & play reruns at like 6 & 10 every weeknight or some shit. He’s why they exist. 

This!

I wish they would just bring back his live show with new episodes.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:53 AM, Dbeasy said:

Tomatoes in general are just ridiculous in the spectrum of their taste.  Not in a good, diverse-yumminess type of way but in how some taste blander than water.

When I buy them from the grocery it's just basically throwing darts blind

• Like 2

Tomatoes in general are just ridiculous in the spectrum of their taste.  Not in a good, diverse-yumminess type of way but in how some taste blander than water.

When I buy them from the grocery it's just basically throwing darts blind

This. I’ve had homegrown tomatoes that taste like water. Some people over water them. It’s really a fruit. Like a grape vintage, if they get too much water before harvest it kills the vintage.

This!
I wish they would just bring back his live show with new episodes.

My daughter watched it religiously when she was a toddler. I’d come home from work, and she’d calll from the living room “dad, come quick - he’s starting with a mirepoix!” She has us make (together) steamed mussels in garlic white wine sauce when she was 4. Which was kind of a full circle, as my wife and I ate at his then brand-new restaurant the night we got engaged 27 years ago, and had a nice visit with him. I can’t help but like the guy.

On 6/17/2020 at 9:31 AM, Underdog said:

Crawfish is an acquired taste for me and I'll eat some, but like previously noted, I'll knock down some sausage, corn and potatoes. 

One of my children is a cornhusker gourmand. I have to admit that going to a corn festival in the midwest with steamed cobs with butter, salt shakers on a string and plenty to go around while gathered with friends is a lovely time. My husband's family would just go in the backyard and pick it so it was super fresh and sweet, but the festivals are fun too.

I grew up on a tomato farm and I'm not a real big fan. Ketchup and various other forms of processed tomatoes I like. But fresh tomatoes are overrated.

And whoever said upthread that Texas can't grow good tomatoes is correct. The heat is one thing, but soil is another. You need lotsa potassium to get them good and red, which most southern soils lack.

I betray my midwestern roots (sorry ISU) but I prefer marinara sauce over ranch on many things.

Buffalo Wild Wings (hot bbq in particular) is good.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:33 PM, Parliament said:

I grew up on a tomato farm and I'm not a real big fan. Ketchup and various other forms of processed tomatoes I like. But fresh tomatoes are overrated.

And whoever said upthread that Texas can't grow good tomatoes is correct. The heat is one thing, but soil is another. You need lotsa potassium to get them good and red, which most southern soils lack.

I betray my midwestern roots (sorry ISU) but I prefer marinara sauce over ranch on many things.

Buffalo Wild Wings (hot bbq in particular) is good.

Since tomatoes were originally domesticated in Mexico and were grown and used in the south before the Yankees even knew what the were, I dispute your premise that southern states can’t grow good tomatoes. Louisiana Creoles might be the best I’ve ever had. 

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a lot of hype around Cabo Bob’s burritos and finally got to try them about a month ago. It was good, but I honestly still like freebirds more. Plus, they go to the chipotle school of wrapping the burrito up essentially into a big ball, which is more difficult to eat. I didn’t realize until yesterday that there is one in Houston, so I have it another go. Really like the fresh tortillas but I stand by opinion that freebirds is better. However, Cabo bob’s is still better than shitpotle.

What other good burrito places are in Houston?