Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

On 4/22/2019 at 10:46 PM, Smax said:
On 4/22/2019 at 8:27 PM, ztejas said:
Yeah I dont get the rib eye > filet crowd.
A filet is a fucking filet and when done right is the best steak you can get imo

Theres a reason most filets are served with sauce

On 4/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, ztejas said:

That hasn't been my experience but okay. 

On 4/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, Smax said:

Really?

Steak au poivre or sauce bearnaise doesnt ring any bells.

Probably the 2 most common ways a filet is served in any decent steakhouse or restaurant, or the chain driven wrapped in bacon.

I can dig a filet from time to time but due to how lean it is it lacks the flavor of a rib eye and strip

On 4/27/2019 at 8:43 PM, Landomatic said:

Not sure what kind of sizzler bonanza salt grass shit you’re eating at, but every good restaurant that serves those steak toppings has it available as an add-on to any of their steaks...not just the filets.  You should should try a “decent steakhouse” sometime

On 4/28/2019 at 10:12 AM, Smax said:

Ive eaten at more decent steakhouse with bills more then your mortgage then youve had whataburger

@Smax...are you poor or just dumb?

Dallas

Al Biernat's - https://www.albiernats.com/assets/abo-dinner.pdf

gxuQLb.png

Nick & Sams - https://nick-sams.com/wp-content/uploads/main-pdf-menus/April-2018_Dinner_Menu_no_prices_4-18.pdf

HYz705.png

Houston

Steak 48 - https://www.steak48.com/steakhouses/houston/

piUBMR.png

Vic & Anthony's - https://www.vicandanthonys.com/pdf/menus/houston/dinner.pdf

IkV2e3.png

Vegas

SW - https://www.visitwynn.com/documents/SW_Steakhouse.pdf?_ga=2.10257781.1586760195.1556562955-923585546.1556562955

4NbYTb.png

Regular tabasco isn't much of a hot sauce but as an addition a drink it's fantastic....the vinegar is key there.  

For a great summer drink, tall Yeti, fill 2/3 with Deep Eddy Grapefruit top off with 7-Up add 3-5 splashes of tabasco.  

To make this an unpopular opinion Monsanto has improved the lives of the average American

Edited by Surly Bevo

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Wings =  Fried chicken with less chicken per bite and batter so bland they need a bunch of bullshit flavored sauces to liven it up.  Plain old fried chicken legs and thighs from any decent place is far superior. 

You know that first time you have really good brisket? If you ever try twice fried wings, the ones they do in Korea, it's the same experience. I'm not arguing that american style reaches that level, it doesn't. But chicken wings fried twice is fucking magical.

8 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

You know that first time you have really good brisket? If you ever try twice fried wings, the ones they do in Korea, it's the same experience. I'm not arguing that american style reaches that level, it doesn't. But chicken wings fried twice is fucking magical.

Best wings I've ever had - sous vide and then fried at the end.

Life's too damn short and fragile to be worried about spending 10-13 dollars on a batch of wings that you didn't need to make, served on dishes you didn't need to clean, washed down with a tall beer you didn't need to pour while watching sports you didn't need to play

Buffalo wings are one of the best western civilizations great get aways

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Loco said:

you've never had great fried chicken...  you can keep the white sauce too...  fucking animals

You talking cream gravy on CFS and chicken fried chicken?  You mean, proof of the divine as well?

Wanna take your life to 11?  Sprinkle some Louisiana hot sauce (I'm a Crystal man) onto your cream gravy over your CFS.  The angels will sing, women's skirts will seem shorter to you, the sun will shine brighter...it's life-affirming shit, man.

43b287a27301d8bfd708b53b9da8b4a1.png

My old southern granny used to make the most incredible fried chicken, and I would sit in horror, trying in vein to dissolve sugar granules in cold iced tea, as my grandfather would pour that nasty stuff over gloriously crisp fresh fried chicken....  It made me hope I was adopted

also...  unless your chicken was pan fried in a cast iron skillet, you're doing it wrong

Edited by Loco

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You talking cream gravy on CFS and chicken fried chicken?  You mean, proof of the divine as well?

Wanna take your life to 11?  Sprinkle some Louisiana hot sauce (I'm a Crystal man) onto your cream gravy over your CFS.  The angels will sing, women's skirts will seem shorter to you, the sun will shine brighter...it's life-affirming shit, man.

I waited tables at a Black-Eyed Pea in Pasadena one summer. They had a smoking section. I don’t think a further explanation of what I was dealing with is necessary here. There were three dishes ordered in that section at what had to be an 80% clip of what was ordered back there daily. 1) CFS or 2) Pot Roast or 3) Meat Loaf. Chain smoking was a given as one of the sides.

With any one of those, mashed potatoes and coffee were constants as accoutrements, whether lunch or dinner. If the CFS was ordered though? It was almost certainly bathed, and I mean fucking soaked, in Tobasco and/or Louisiana Hot Sauce. 

Working in that section was a lesson in people watching and behaviors, but picking up the hot sauce on cream gravy trick (although not bathing CFS in it) was well worth it. 

Also, I’ve discovered that most of the people I dealt with during that time had offspring that eventually wound up posting as regulars on the Movies & TV board on Surly. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I waited tables at a Black-Eyed Pea in Pasadena one summer. They had a smoking section. I don’t think a further explanation of what I was dealing with is necessary here. There were three dishes ordered in that section at what had to be an 80% clip of what was ordered back there daily. 1) CFS or 2) Pot Roast or 3) Meat Loaf. Chain smoking was a given as one of the sides.

With any one of those, mashed potatoes and coffee were constants as accoutrements, whether lunch or dinner. If the CFS was ordered though? It was almost certainly bathed, and I mean fucking soaked, in Tobasco and/or Louisiana Hot Sauce. 

Working in that section was a lesson in people watching and behaviors, but picking up the hot sauce on cream gravy trick (although not bathing CFS in it) was well worth it. 

Also, I’ve discovered that most of the people I dealt with during that time had offspring that eventually wound up posting as regulars on the Movies & TV board on Surly. 

I waited tables at Convict Hill restaurant in the summer of 89.  Was hotter than hell that summer.  When I worked the lunch shift, we drew a lot of blue collar types from the nearby Motorola facility.  They invariably ordered the lunch special: a CFS, mashed potatoes, salad with ranch.  Some of them did the hot sauce routine.  But ALL of them ordered coffee.  It puzzled me, it still does (and I'm a coffee drinker).  It was 104 outside....and they all drank coffee instead of iced tea.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I go for cholula myself. In fact, just had one for lunch. And I go for more of a douse than a sprinkle. 

Spectacular thread. 

Filet>Ribeye>All other forms of steak.  

Indian>Thai>Vietnamese>Chinese

Eating more than 4oz of brisket at one setting is doing it wrong 

Baby back pork ribs are fantastic   Beef ribs are horrible   

Raw onions and green peppers should be abolished.  

Bacon is a side for breakfast and BLTs and should never be paired with any other food.  

For the margarita snobs (although I agree on the rocks is better):

1 Can Frozen  Limeaid then use empty can for the following:

1 Can Tequila

1 Can Beer (no IPA)

1/2 Can Triple Sec

Ice

• Like 2

This will be popular here, but not to NYC foodies:  Texas brisket is the hardest dish to perfect in the world.  You can teach Aaron Franklin to cook the best dishes by Arnaud Donckele, Michael Troisgros, Allaine Ducasse, Gordon Ramsay, etc do, but you will immediately chop up their shit brisket and smother it in sauce if these "World's Greatest Chefs" had to cook 10,660 lbs of brisket a week by "feel".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

This will be popular here, but not to NYC foodies:  Texas brisket is the hardest dish to perfect in the world.  You can teach Aaron Franklin to cook the best dishes by Arnaud Donckele, Michael Troisgros, Allaine Ducasse, Gordon Ramsay, etc do, but you will immediately chop up their shit brisket and smother it in sauce if these "World's Greatest Chefs" had to cook 10,660 lbs of brisket a week by "feel".

Hi, Aaron.   Can you send me up some Franklin Q to Upstate NY, please. 

-Maid Rite sucks (unpopular in Iowa)

-KC BBQ is tops (unpopular on this board)

-Mountain Dew is complete and utter trash

-Mayo as it's own condiment is complete trash

-Pico is the worst kind of salsa

-Bud Light is the absolute worst nationally distributed light beer

-Venison tenderloin > any other animal's tenderloin

-Beans are fine in chili

Edited by Al_4_ISU

7 minutes ago, Okie State said:
9 minutes ago, ztejas said:
This sounds like a fantastic way to get hammered. Will have to try at some point. 

Used to make these at tailgates and they were a big hit.

That sort of sounds how I remember Limeys tasting.

But then again, I don't really have clear memories of how Limeys tasted.

-Maid Rite sucks (unpopular in Iowa)
-KC BBQ is tops (unpopular on this board)
-Mountain Dew is complete and utter trash
-Mayo as it's own condiment is complete trash
-Pico is the worst kind of salsa
-Bud Light is the absolute worst nationally distributed light beer
-Venison tenderloin > any other animal's tenderloin
-Beans are fine in chili

Yeah, no Texan is gonna listen to that bullshit take on bbq or chili from someone from Iowa. Fuckin Iowa man.
  • Like 1

Yeah, no Texan is gonna listen to that bullshit take on bbq or chili from someone from Iowa. Fuckin Iowa man.

I think the average Texan would be less offended if you fucked their wife then if you said some place outside of Texas has better BBQ.

I love y’all but I can’t resist poking the hubris bear sometimes
  • Haha 1

I think the average Texan would be less offended if you fucked their wife then if you said some place outside of Texas has better BBQ.

I love y’all but I can’t resist poking the hubris bear sometimes

Look, if you want to fuck Rocko’s mail order bride, go for it. We won’t stop you. We won’t even stop you from posting a unpopular opinion in an unpopular opinion thread, no matter how obviously wrong it is.

• Like 1

Spectacular thread. 

Filet>Ribeye>All other forms of steak.  

Indian>Thai>Vietnamese>Chinese

Eating more than 4oz of brisket at one setting is doing it wrong 

Baby back pork ribs are fantastic   Beef ribs are horrible   

Raw onions and green peppers should be abolished.  

Bacon is a side for breakfast and BLTs and should never be paired with any other food.  

For the margarita snobs (although I agree on the rocks is better):

1 Can Frozen  Limeaid then use empty can for the following:

1 Can Tequila

1 Can Beer (no IPA)

1/2 Can Triple Sec

Ice

Id be fine not eating a pork rib for the rest of my life. Too much fat to meat ratio

Needs sauce to be edible