Wine

Hollywood

13 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

this weekend I had a 1986 Medoc Chateau Saint-Saturnin at a dinner.  It was quite underwhelming in most ways.  Pretty "young" still, but also very flat and one note that I find more typical of burgundy than Bordeaux.  It was definitely the most boring wine of the weekend.  Others I had included a 2016 Dumol Chardonnay Chloe that was spectacular, 2015 La Jota Cab that way outkicked it's price point.  I also took a flyer on a new budget wine from the Wagner (Caymus) Family called 1858 Paso Robles.  It was the "wine of the year" at total wine, and for 31.99 after the 6 bottle discount I have to say it is about as good a daily drinker food wine as you could find.  It is definitely on the fruity/jimmy side as most of the Wagner wines are.  It is unmistakably a wine made in their highly concentrated style, but a bit more smooth and subtle than CAymus or Quilt or some of the others.  Strong recommend on it for it's price point.  I also had an Adaptation Cab which is the Odette entry level wine.  FOr $50 it is also a strong buy, and pairs great with food.  

Adaptation is our go to "Tuesday night" wine, loved it when I tasted it at the vineyard and bought a few cases, was happy to see it in small numbers at HEB and Specs

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

15-CC4-DA4-0706-4-E47-A037-6-CD6-CB43-F1-D3.jpg

Damn, how was this? Have you had it before?

First time and it was amazing. More like syrup than wine and truly unbelievable. But.... probably not worth the money if I’m being honest. 

8 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Drinking another one right now, bonanza. The Wagner reds are crazy. Doesn’t matter if it’s caymus, caymus special select, quilt, 1858, bonanza, belle glos CLARK and telephone, they all literally taste the same. 

As in over-produced and lots of sugar?

A 2008 vintage champagne is past the point to decant

This wine is so youthful and built to age. Hopefully I have acquired enough to enjoy over the next 25+ years.

It goes against everything you have ever seen but a decant on the wine is magical!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, milkman said:

This wine is so youthful and built to age. Hopefully I have acquired enough to enjoy over the next 25+ years.

It goes against everything you have ever seen but a decant on the wine is magical!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give it a try!

Yes, I bought more, and I have plenty of storage space to lay it down for a few years.  2009 vintage was nice, but the 2008 is special IMO

Edited by AustinMT

• 2 weeks later...

A buddy and I put together a wine tasting/food pairing event this weekend. If you’re ever looking to do something like this the guys over at Tony’s are freaking top notch at this kind of thing.  We rented the wine room and had an amazing time. I wouldn’t change a single pairing or dish from this event. 

Dinner? Why Not!!

October 19, 2019

~

Hamachi ‘Toast’

Osetra Caviar, Lardo, Mint

2017 Savigny-Les-Beaune Blanc, Les Saucours, Louis Chenu

2018 Domaine Saint-Cyr, Moulin a Vent, Beaujolais

~

Tasmanian Salmon Mezzo Cotto

Hibiscus vinaigrette, Citrus Gremolata, Almond

NV Larmandier-Bernier, Rose de SAignee, Extra Brut

~

Young Maine Lobster

Fall Texas Corn, Button Chanterelles, Sauce Cardinale

2017 Weingut Emmerich Knoll, Riesling Ried Schutt SmaragdWachu

~

Alba White Truffle Duo SHAved Tableside

House Made Tagliarini, Sage Essence

&

Burrata Stuffed Cappelletti, Acorn Squash, Pumpkin Seed

2017 Pahlmeyer Chardonnay, Napa Valley

~

Alaskan Halibut 

Bone Marrow Cioppino, Little Neck Clam, Caramelized Fennel

2011 Vosne-ROmanee, Alliance des Terroirs, Dominique Mugneret

~

Crescent Island Dry-Aged Duck Ala Presse

Confit Stuffed Paccheri, Duck Jus

2010 Tenuta San Guido, SassicaiaBolgheri

&

2011 DANA, Lotus Vineyard, Cabernet, Napa Valley

~

Japanese a5 bms12 Strip loin

GRILLED TEXAS PEACH, SESAME PICKLED KOHLRABI

2004 F.U. Ebenezer, Shiraz, Barossa Valley

~

Toma Della Rocca

Piedmontese cheese, Toasted rye oats, Banana

2012 FRANCOIS ROUSSET-MARTIN, VIEUX MACVIN DE SAVAGNIN

~

Tiramisu Crespelle

Mascarpone, Illy Espresso, Lady Fingers, Crepe 

1990 Quintarelli GuiseppeREcioto della Valpolicella

Edited by pepper brooks

39 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I thought I read somewhere that another producer bought the rights to the vineyard and was working with the family. Realm maybe?

I think that's the case, but I know Jennifer Lamb and have always enjoyed her (and Herb's) story.  I love visiting the family owned vineyards and it's just different if they are merely a juice seller.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I thought I read somewhere that another producer bought the rights to the vineyard and was working with the family. Realm maybe?

No.  Rivers-Marie, so it will be a Thomas Rivers Brown wine. They are leasing it.  She did sell the Two Old Dogs name to someone else.

Unfortunately for me, not a big fan of TRB wines.

14 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

No.  Rivers-Marie, so it will be a Thomas Rivers Brown wine. They are leasing it.  She did sell the Two Old Dogs name to someone else.

Unfortunately for me, not a big fan of TRB wines.

That's where I read it.  TRB posted something about it on Twitter or FB.

4 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Doesn't get much better than that IMO.

it was pretty easily the wine of the night and pretty much blew everything else out of the water which is saying a ton because all those wines were absolutely at the top of their game.  The DaNa stood pretty tall as well and my general experience with that wine has been it's more of a poser in the napa cult scene.  Not this one.  it was amazing too.   Perhaps the biggest surprise was the Pahlmayer Chard.  That thing had some serious body to it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 10:01 AM, texasdago said:

Monferrato Freisa Secco La Selva di Moirano 2006
Nebbiolo d’Alba Bric du Nota 2016
Barbaresco Tettineive 2015
Barolo Tettimora 2013
Barbera d’Asti La Bogliona 2008

All were great but the Barbera d'Asti was phenomenal.  They had another one, too, so six wines but that one really stuck out.  $90/bottle which is way more than I normally spend but I ordered > one < .  This was at Vinology so I left with the other Barbera d'Asti and a great bottle of Lambrusco di Sorbara from Cantina della Volta.