Wine

Hollywood

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Local steakhouse is selling their wine to help employees. See any steals? I’m not a connoisseur but I like reds.

a0cf11724a07e45d7c329dd98a5439ed.jpg

06a9e3187b82ba74dd45e4df777046ce.jpg

If the Quintessa is the Cabernet, $121 is a steal.  And it's really good.

If the Quintessa is the Cabernet, $121 is a steal.  And it's really good.

Appreciate the feedback but I’m not dropping over a bill on any single bottle of wine. It would be lost on me. Our favorite daily driver is $15-$18 and splurge prices are up to $60 or so. I’d be much more interested in picking up a case or two of the cheaper stuff (if it’s good) than one special bottle.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Appreciate the feedback but I’m not dropping over a bill on any single bottle of wine. It would be lost on me. Our favorite daily driver is $15-$18 and splurge prices are up to $60 or so. I’d be much more interested in picking up a case or two of the cheaper stuff (if it’s good) than one special bottle.

For that metric, the Justin Isoceles is a good but. It’s a nice Pass Robles blend (And I’m not a huge Paso fan, but this is a good one) that retails for about $65.  So $36 is a great buy.  I’d grab a few at that price.  

The Animo Atlas Peak is also a good buy.  Retail is about $80.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Spot checking some of these on Vivino and there are definitely some deals. It just occurred to me that I should ask if they are selling their bourbon.

you should go in person with cash and offer

Edited by NoName

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Local steakhouse is selling their wine to help employees. See any steals? I’m not a connoisseur but I like reds.

I would buy Quilt and Faust.  Quilt is a really good deal at that price.  Quintessa is a steal at $121.00.  Which restaurant is this?  May be worth a drive...

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, Buzzrock said:

If you're not looking to spend a lot the Beringer Quantum is pretty nice as is the Stags' Leap Cab (apostrophe after the "s").

Really? Do tell. I’ve always been told that if you like it then it’s good wine.

Everyone has a different palette. If it’s what you like then by all means drink up.

The aged in bourbon barrels is a huge marketing ploy of some sort.

PSA.....Tedder is having an online sale on red burgs this Saturday and Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone has a different palette. If it’s what you like then by all means drink up.  
The aged in bourbon barrels is a huge marketing ploy of some sort.

PSA.....Tedder is having an online sale on red burgs this Saturday and Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palate.

I don’t get the bourbon barrel aging idea.

Similarly the heavy American oak treatment Silver Oak gives its wine to me tastes like pickle juice.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Palate.

I don’t get the bourbon barrel aging idea.

Similarly the heavy American oak treatment Silver Oak gives its wine to me tastes like pickle juice.

Couldn’t agree with you more on Silver Choke.  They’ve done an incredible job getting their wines on every list and selling themselves as premium.

And don’t get me started on Caymus (or any Wagner wine for that matter)...

As for the bourbon barrel, I’m assuming some winemaker tried bourbon aged in Cabernet barrels and thought doing the reverse would be a good idea

I certainly don’t have a sophisticated palate. Our favorite (the Petite Petit from Michael & David) was described to me as “very purple” by the bartender at Max’s Wine Dive in Austin many years ago when I discovered it.

You can’t taste the bourbon in the Southern Belle and you’d never know it was put in bourbon barrels (it doesn’t say so on the bottle). Definitely a gimmick but I think it tastes good.

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

They blew out the Caymus and the Stag’s Leap pretty quick.

I know a lot of people really like Caymus, but I’m just going to say it: it’s awful.  Unless you like really sweet wine. 

They aren’t even pretending to make the standard Caymus a top-level wine anymore.  The 2018 vintage was in stores December 2019, so they’ve basically stopped aging the wine.

Tonight’s offering, courtesy of Sam Kaplan:
6-A1-D2546-B9-ED-4-E3-C-8-FF6-041-FEBFEDC99.jpg

Well done. I had the 2016 over Christmas with my wife’s aunt and uncle. He told us how he bought a jeroboam at the charity auction of a golf tourney in FL for $300. They couldn’t bring it home on the plane so two of them had to kill it that night.

1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

Well done. I had the 2016 over Christmas with my wife’s aunt and uncle. He told us how he bought a jeroboam at the charity auction of a golf tourney in FL for $300. They couldn’t bring it home on the plane so two of them had to kill it that night.

It’s great stuff.  Started buying it with the 2015 vintage. This is the first ‘16 we’ve tried, and after a 2-hour decant it’s really nice. Have some 15, 16 and all of the 17 I bought left.  Really like Kaplan’s wines — his Arkenstone wines are really good as well.

And that’s a crazy good price he paid, considering the cost per bottle from the winery.

Edited by AustinMT

It’s great stuff.  Started buying it with the 2015 vintage. This is the first ‘16 we’ve tried, and after a 2-hour decant it’s really nice. Have some 15, 16 and all of the 17 I bought left.  Really like Kaplan’s wines — his Arkenstone wines are really good as well.
And that’s a crazy good price he paid, considering the cost per bottle from the winery.

Oh yeah, for sure. The guy who put it up for the charity auction was not happy it went for so little.

35 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Do you know Roy?

Yes, though not intimately. Have been ordering from him for a while.  Have had wine with him at the grower’s happy hour at Farmstead — really  nice guy. Got the 14 when he realized he had some in inventory

• Like 1