Wine

Hollywood

2 minutes ago, milkman said:

Decant the VHR for a bit. It will make that wine sing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did (we always decant).  We have a good bit of VHR — decanted 1 1/2 hours before the first taste, and still working on it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Covri said:

Recs in reds 10-20 per bottle that are ready to drink and stand out? Open to trying new things, not a huge fan of sweet reds though. I’d put us in the bold and savory versus the sweet wines. And no fucking merlot!

anything in the your price range is going to be ready to drink but probably not stand out and there is nothing wrong with that. I would go to your local Total Wine and buy a couple Spanish reds, a couple South American reds maybe some Rhone and some domestic cabs/blends. Get the discount for buying 6 or more and see what you like. 

26 minutes ago, Covri said:

Recs in reds 10-20 per bottle that are ready to drink and stand out? Open to trying new things, not a huge fan of sweet reds though. I’d put us in the bold and savory versus the sweet wines. And no fucking merlot!

Tough price point for what you want, but some suggestions, all under $20\

Malbec: Ben Marco (they also have a cab under #20) and Catena Zapata

California cabs:  Josh Cellars,  Hess Select.  Josh is surprisingly good at that price

Josh is pretty good in that price point.

Also lots of Zinfandel is available under $20 that doesn’t suck (if you like that style-goes well with grilled meat), but might be too jammy for your tastes.

Would second the suggestions for Spanish wines.

Ribera del Duero region often you can find good deals. The style (and Tempranillo in general) tends to be more acidic and leaner than California cab and blends but pairs well with Mediterranean dishes.

Meiomi Pinot is decent and runs right around 20. Pessimist is a red blend also around 20.

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
22 hours ago, Covri said:

Meiomi Pinot is decent and runs right around 20. Pessimist is a red blend also around 20.

Please no Meiomi

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, Covri said:

It's $27/bottle but I really enjoy the Abadia Retuerta Ribera Del Duero.
Otherwise look for some Southern Rhone Giogondas or Vacqueyras.  Lots of good value in those.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
14 hours ago, AustinMT said:
I understand the metric, but that is an awful sugar bomb

Well, yeah, when you're drinking $100+ bottles. You have to dial your expectations back at a lower price point. That Ruinart ain't free.

I’ll back off and again say drink what you like.  The poster specifically said he didn’t want a sweet wine, and Meiomi Pinot is a sugar bomb (like every Wagner wine or, in this case, a former Wagner wine). 

It's $27/bottle but I really enjoy the Abadia Retuerta Ribera Del Duero.
Otherwise look for some Southern Rhone Giogondas or Vacqueyras.  Lots of good value in those.

This is a really nice wine.

Another that might fall under $20 is Condado de Haza. Haven’t bought it in a while (several years) but it used to go for $10-15.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:52 AM, milkman said:

I wanted to pass this along.  If you are looking for a moderately priced Oregon wine that is delicious, I highly recommend contacting my friend Vincent.  Free shipping if you buy at least 6 bottles.  

https://mailchi.mp/bc856bac74c7/new-vincent-wines-fall-pre-release-offer-3507581?e=ed05310d81

i emailed them to buy a mixed case of Pinot. I couldn't find any other way to purchase on their site.

• Like 1

i emailed them to buy a mixed case of Pinot. I couldn't find any other way to purchase on their site.

He is a one man show. He should get back to you soon. Let me know if you don’t hear back and I’ll dig up his number for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Tonight.  Young, but they re-opened allocations because they aren’t having tastings, so I ordered more and opened this that I already have.  After a long decant, awesome.  Aaron Pott just makes great wines

spacer.png

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, texasdago said:

anyone know what the deal is with Centex wineries right now?  Can you purchase wine to go and sit on the grass somewhere or get the wine and get out?  I know several like Duchman are selling wine and family food packs.

They are open for retail purchases (if they choose to do so).  Some of them will quietly allow you to sit out back.

As I read the new May 1 rules, they can do “quick tastings,” whatever that means.  

Edited by AustinMT

On 4/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, texasdago said:

anyone know what the deal is with Centex wineries right now?  Can you purchase wine to go and sit on the grass somewhere or get the wine and get out?  I know several like Duchman are selling wine and family food packs.

I've seen a handful that are opening but not doing tasting (so bottles only)

Kuhlman - outside seating only, bottles only (not tasting), limit of 6 poeople in a group, reservations only - https://www.facebook.com/kuhlmancellars/photos/a.780985205259331/3353269718030854/?type=3&theater

Southold Farm & Cellar - open for you to go visit and register spot outside, not sure if they have tasting or just bottles

Signor - drive through only currently https://www.facebook.com/signorvineyards/photos/a.146169952717271/519034978764098/?type=3&theater

Grape Creek - Grape Creek (all locations) and Heath Sparkling Wines will be open regular hours, and offering most of our services, beginning May 1st. We will be limiting our overall occupancy and employing physical distancing and sanitizing protocols per Gov Abbott's April 27th orders. Until then, we will continue to offer wine club pick up and bottle sales only. Grape Creek has not furloughed or laid anyone off, we are paying our staff and we have extended the option of paid sick leave, especially to anyone in high risk groups. As a result, our staffing levels may vary. Please don't come if you feel sick or are running a fever, and we will not allow anyone in that is sneezing or coughing.

Heath Sparkling - Grape Creek (all locations) and Heath Sparkling Wines will be open regular hours, and offering most of our services, beginning May 1st. We will be limiting our overall occupancy and employing physical distancing and sanitizing protocols per Gov Abbott's April 27th orders. Until then, we will continue to offer wine club pick up and bottle sales only. Grape Creek has not furloughed or laid anyone off, we are paying our staff and we have extended the option of paid sick leave, especially to anyone in high risk groups. As a result, our staffing levels may vary. Please don't come if you feel sick or are running a fever, and we will not allow anyone in that is sneezing or coughing.

just did a quick search/check on FB and IG for these guys

Edited by NoName

10 hours ago, AustinMT said:

They are open for retail purchases (if they choose to do so).  Some of them will quietly allow you to sit out back.

As I read the new May 1 rules, they can do “quick tastings,” whatever that means.  

Adding to my post:

Hye Meadow is open (was out there a couple of weeks ago, and their Twitter page says they are officially open).  Nice wines, great people.  Great backyard area behind the testing room

https://www.hyemeadow.com/