Wine

Hollywood

Only recently started ordering Spottswoode — love it.  And Ruinart is, IMO, the best NV out there (especially for the price) and the Rose is excellent

Spottswoode is one of my favorite Cali cabs. The 07 was drinking really well after popping and decanting for a bit. Really youthful and will only get better with age.

We go thru quite a bit of Ruinart BdB and Rose! If you like rose bubbles I would highly suggest Henriot.

Good stuff... we swung by the Salt Lick and you could buy food to go and walk over and get a bottle from the cellars on the side.  Duchman apparently was open with family meals to go and wine to purchase but probably no tastings.  Apparently can hang out if you distance outside.

4 hours ago, Smax said:

How good is this stuff? 2bbff2c439e68992a163adef7d6dc5af.jpg

Highly rated Bordeaux blend from the makers of Harlan Estates.  I've never had it, but it appears to appreciate in value quickly.  $600/btl would be a good price.  The 2014 and 2013 are both going for over $800.  If you can do it, I'd buy a 3-pack.

My house burned down about 7 years ago.  I had a small but nice wine collection including a 100 point port that was 20 years old.  I was holding for another 10 years.  Of course I lost all that shit.  I changed by deal, instead of buying wine to age, I buy aged wine.  I find by using Vinfolio, Cellar Radiers and Wine Bid, I can get vintage wine frequently at less than current vintage prices.  

• Like 1

My house burned down about 7 years ago.  I had a small but nice wine collection including a 100 point port that was 20 years old.  I was holding for another 10 years.  Of course I lost all that shit.  I changed by deal, instead of buying wine to age, I buy aged wine.  I find by using Vinfolio, Cellar Radiers and Wine Bid, I can get vintage wine frequently at less than current vintage prices.  

Sorry to hear about your fire. My experience with WineBid is hit and miss. I’m the same as you I would rather buy aged vino and drink now versus watching it take a nap for what seems like forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your fire. My experience with WineBid is hit and miss. I’m the same as you I would rather buy aged vino and drink now versus watching it take a nap for what seems like forever.

Any issues with people selling who don't properly store the wine?
  • Like 1

With WineBid it’s impossible to know the provenance of the wine. I’m mainly after certain wines and willing to roll the dice to an extent. Most of my older more expensive bottles come from another source that guarantees the provenance on the bottles.

• Like 1

That would certainly be my biggest concern, especially buying expensive wine.

That’s why, for high end wines from Cali or Bordeaux, I buy direct from the winery in Cali or futures for Bordeaux. I’ve never use those online sellers. There’s also the issue of Texas’s bullshit laws on cross border retail purchases.
  • Like 1

Between me and a few friends we have probably bought 100+ bottles from WineBid. I can only recall just a couple being cooked or corked. Other than those we have had pretty good luck.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:24 PM, milkman said:

I don't buy really expensive wine from them.  There is typically a good description with each wine like the fill level label condition.  I wouldn't buy a first growth Bordeaux with it or a fine Montrachet/Burgundy...

On 5/7/2020 at 1:19 PM, Litig8r said:

Oh no.  That is awful.  During my moving sale, I had some Vintage Port that walked away (assuming someone picked it up and just took it).  Might have to look into this.  Of course, the other thing I might do is just go back to Portugal and pick them up.

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Tell me about some of the best Austin wine shops... where can you find more unique wines versus going to Spec's, Total Wine, HEB, etc.?

Try Twin Liquors, especially on Dollar Day.

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Tell me about some of the best Austin wine shops... where can you find more unique wines versus going to Spec's, Total Wine, HEB, etc.?

Austin Wine Merchant has probably the best selection of classics for an independent shop.  Very strong in Burgundy and German riesling and pretty solid in Italy, N Rhone, domestics.

Lolo for natural wine.

Austin is a little deficient on wine shops.  You can find some interesting things at Twin at times, but the prices are jacked up considerably.  I agree that Austin Wine Merchant has a good selection for European wines.  Domestic selection is OK, and priced liked Twin.

So here’s a secret: the H-E-B in Lakeway has a stupid wine selection, especially for domestic cabs (some high end wines that are difficult to find, along with a great selection of more affordable wines).  Think Vine Hill Ranch, Memento Mori, etc.  Lots of good non-cabs as well.  Central Market on Lamar also carries a good wine selection.  Prices at both are better than Twin.

If you go to Total Wine, check the wines in the refrigerated section up front.  

Thanks, all.  If you know anything about Houston wines, places like Vinology, D&Q The Beer Station and Houston Wine Merchant have amazing selections of unique wines although prices are often steep.  Anything that someone like Justin Vann in Houston touches is usually good with me.  That said, sounds like lots of good ideas above.  How is the HEB on Slaughter/Enscarpment?

Looks like i need to check out Lolo