Wine

Hollywood

58 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Is it that much better than say a good steak from Central Market or Snake River Farms/44 Farms?  I've thought about ordering for years but just haven't done it.

The dry-aging elevates it IMO.  I've had dry-aged done through HEB/CM, and it's not as good.  I've had a lot of dry-aged beef, and this is really nice.  SRF is really good, but I don't think they do dry-aged do they?

Pricing is good as well.  This was a little over 32 oz for $68. 

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

The dry-aging elevates it IMO.  I've had dry-aged done through HEB/CM, and it's not as good.  I've had a lot of dry-aged beef, and this is really nice.  SRF is really good, but I don't think they do dry-aged do they?

Pricing is good as well.  This was a little over 32 oz for $68. 

Cool, thanks for the info.  My summer hols have likely been turned into a week at a Galveston beach house so going to put in an order.  

We have been invited to a wine tasting hangout at a friend's house in a couple weeks. One of those things where everyone brings two bottles, one is opened for the sake of blind taste testing, the second bottle is part of the prize. Whoever brings the favorite wine gets to take home all of the duplicate bottles.

Anyways, they didn't really give specifications on varietal, just basically needs to be red wine and $25-50 price range. Any suggestions for a good crowd pleaser?

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

We have been invited to a wine tasting hangout at a friend's house in a couple weeks. One of those things where everyone brings two bottles, one is opened for the sake of blind taste testing, the second bottle is part of the prize. Whoever brings the favorite wine gets to take home all of the duplicate bottles.

Anyways, they didn't really give specifications on varietal, just basically needs to be red wine and $25-50 price range. Any suggestions for a good crowd pleaser?

For $45-50 range, Turnbull Cabernet (you can get it at TW) is very highly-rated.  Lot’s of people like this wine, and it should taste well compared to other offerings in the under $50 category.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Or better yet empty it and put in some Harlan to see their reaction.

Just my opinion,  obviously, but when I’ve put Harlan up against other, more affordable bottles, it’s never won. I’m not a fan. 

I've yet to try WineBid, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet this year. My question is, come shipping time, how do those of you in Texas handle it? Is this my excuse to make a field trip to California? Do I store in-state there, then have a third party ship?

I fucking hate TABC.

I've yet to try WineBid, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet this year. My question is, come shipping time, how do those of you in Texas handle it? Is this my excuse to make a field trip to California? Do I store in-state there, then have a third party ship?
I fucking hate TABC.

Stagecoach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Roofle said:

I fucking hate TABC.

A lot of places will let you send them your own FedEx label and ship from "yourself" to yourself in Texas.  I've done this with a number of places out there.

I really like the Stags’ Leap Petite Syrah for around $30 as a good value play.

3 hours ago, b_p said:

A lot of places will let you send them your own FedEx label and ship from "yourself" to yourself in Texas.  I've done this with a number of places out there.

Not WineBid — they only ship to Texas through someone (like Stagecoach) that has a license to ship wine to Texas.

Also not the greatest idea to ship expensive wine by regular FedEx

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Need recs for champagne, which is not a subject I know much about.   Looking for the best I can get for $200 per bottle & under.  Don't say "a whole bunch of Mumm's."  I know that much . . .

At that price, I’m a big fan to Taittinger Comtes.  The Blanc de blancs and brut rose are both very nice.  Personally I prefer the Comtes to Dom

Krug Grand Cuvée is also very nice, and right at your price point

Cristal is over $200.  Great stuff, but to me not really better than Krug or a Comtes

Edited by AustinMT

If you are looking to go with a red check out Caravan, Cuttings and Quilt. These should do well and fit are all around $50. Cuttings would be the “biggest” wine out of the three. Caravan the smoothest, with Quilt being the most well rounded. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, AustinMT said:

At that price, I’m a big fan to Taittinger Comtes.  The Blanc de blancs and brut rose are both very nice.  Personally I prefer the Comtes to Dom

Krug Grand Cuvée is also very nice, and right at your price point

Cristal is over $200.  Great stuff, but to me not really better than Krug or a Comtes

2008 Cristal is worth the extra $50. 

2 hours ago, b_p said:

2008 Cristal is worth the extra $50. 

2008 is a historically great Champagne vintage.  The 2008 Comtes was recently released.  I have not tried the 2008 of either.  Not sure which would be the winner — except everyone who tried both :00

Edited by AustinMT