Wine

Hollywood

11 hours ago, tigol said:

I need a recommendation for a $200-300 bottle of champagne for a birthday gift.  He's not a Dom fan.  Krug?  Any help would be great!

Edit to add:  I need to ship it, so an online resource is preferred.

2008 Cristal

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I need to order wine.  A lot of wine.  I haven't purchased any this year and my stock is going down.

You came to the right place. What do you like to drink and a budget? Or better yet just give me your credit card and I’ll make things appear on your doorstep!

Piedmonte region and Tuscany are my favorites.  I'm starting to explore French wines a bit more.  I'm pretty well versed in the Italian wines I prefer.  I like California wines but cannot stand the big fruit bombs.

I have a couple of cases at a friends house in Ohio from his trip to Italy last year.  I need to get up there and pick them up.  Next year was going to be an Italy year (we go every 3 years) but I don't see that trip happening.  I generally purchase 10-15 cases there so that is a hole in my purchasing I need to fill.  I can get Barone Ricasoli through a US distrbutor so I will probably pick up some Brolio and some of their Super Tuscans.

1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

The Turnbull Reserve is such a great value for Oakville fruit

20201003_165659.jpg

Actually just started drinking Turnbull recently.  The “base” cab is a really good value at 50-ish, and the Black Label is really nice.  Have not tried the reserve but will check it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tried this tonight.  It was OK, but kind of soft, much like its Aggy owners:
0-A6-CB9-E9-98-A1-4-E78-9-A66-AC21-AE572-BD9.jpg

Agreed. Didn’t know it was Aggie owned. Met one of the son or son in laws of the owners (I think. It was late in the trip) in Napa at a tasting and thought It was just ok, would not go out of my way to drink it. Hell, forgot about it until you posted, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

Agreed. Didn’t know it was Aggie owned. Met one of the son or son in laws of the owners (I think. It was late in the trip) in Napa at a tasting and thought It was just ok, would not go out of my way to drink it. Hell, forgot about it until you posted, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, even with the Aggy owners I wanted to like it because at least they have a Texas connection.  They make more Bordeaux style, but this wine was just flat, even after an extended decant.  I don’t know how you come up with a boring wine from the 2013 vintage, but they did.

• Like 1

I'm exploring Rioja for a few months and then will move on from Spain to France. Any suggestions after drinking mostly Tempranillo for 3 months? Wine.com is a plus, but I don't mind ordering from the local shop for import either.

There are tons of really good wines in that region. You could spend years exploring. Some of the ones that I have enjoyed (in no particular order)

Tinto de Pesquera
Condado de Haza
Emilio Moro Ribera del Duero
Muga (several different wines)
Vega Sicilia (expensive but excellent)
Cune Imperial Rioja Reserva (all of their wines are good though)
Etc.
etc.

Enjoy the journey.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Why are they in black face?

Cuz they’re Texans.  
supposed to do a virtual wine tasting with parents from my son’s class at 6p pacific.  Middle of the WS.  My wife is a wine guru, have been in the industry for 25 years and certified sommelier.   I may not participate much.

I am trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on some 2015 Domaines Lupier La Dama out of Navarre.  Runs 49 a bottle, and costs about 78 to ship 6 bottles from Oregon.

Elin McCoy rated this wine as one of the best she had in 2019.

2015 Domaines Lupier La Dama ($42)  
I found my bargain of the year at a New York Matter of Taste event put on by Robertparker.com and its new sole owner, Michelin Guide. Elisa Ucar poured this velvety soft red garnacha (grenache) she makes with her husband in Spain’s Navarra region, where vineyards lie on the slopes of the Pyrenees. The couple assembled 27 tiny plots of old organic vines for their two cuvees, and this one has power and purity, as well the vibrancy of fresh ripe berries and intoxicating aromas of violets and herbs. Why is grenache so underrated? 

Cuz they’re Texans.  
supposed to do a virtual wine tasting with parents from my son’s class at 6p pacific.  Middle of the WS.  My wife is a wine guru, have been in the industry for 25 years and certified sommelier.   I may not participate much.

We might know each other. (Worlds colliding)

23 hours ago, milkman said:

I have been slacking these past couple of weeks. Got back on the wagon tonight.

1e737e9e616b76326c8c11d0f6cd3941.jpg

Super pumped on this pristine bottle of 78 Mondavi Reserve that I recently picked up.

5744f19d2004debce9d29fcb0a660618.jpg

About 2 years ago, and the 70, 74 and 76 Mondavi reserve at a dinner.  74 was the winner.  The 78 should be great.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Reserve going forward.  I have a feeling that the MacDonalds will stop selling to Constellation when their contract expires in a couple of years.  Mondavi has been using their fruit for years in the Reserve.

• Like 1

About 2 years ago, and the 70, 74 and 76 Mondavi reserve at a dinner.  74 was the winner.  The 78 should be great.
Will be interesting to see what happens with the Reserve going forward.  I have a feeling that the MacDonalds will stop selling to Constellation when their contract expires in a couple of years.  Mondavi has been using their fruit for years in the Reserve.

94 reserve mondavi is one of the best Cali cabs I’ve ever had.
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:18 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I'm exploring Rioja for a few months and then will move on from Spain to France. Any suggestions after drinking mostly Tempranillo for 3 months? Wine.com is a plus, but I don't mind ordering from the local shop for import either.

My fil sent us a sampler of 4 riojas last year and the best one of the bunch was a 2010 Marques de Tomares Rioja Gran Reserva.  It was excellent.  I have found that we usually like Gran Reservas.  They have almost always been good when we try one even if they are pretty cheap.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

My fil sent us a sampler of 4 riojas last year and the best one of the bunch was a 2010 Marques de Tomares Rioja Gran Reserva.  It was excellent.  I have found that we usually like Gran Reservas.  They have almost always been good when we try one.

Yeah they're aged longer and seem to usually be the cream of the crop grape wise for the vineyard. I have been starting Crianza (3rd tier) and will be moving up to Reserva (2nd tier) starting tomorrow night for the election. I still haven't decided which Gran Reservas to buy, but I'll probably put in an order next week.

Old school Mondavi & Beringer are about as good as it gets from Napa for me. Maybe Diamond Creek too.

I’m in 100% agreement. A couple more to add to that list.
Dominus
BV Georges de Latour
Opus One

Had a crazy offer come out during the summer from ACV. A group of us went in on 1 case of Anderson Conn Valley per month for a year. Here is a little snapshot of what showed up in the first case!

f4eb86e1990ae2801794ab02d65dfd6e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, milkman said:

I’m in 100% agreement. A couple more to add to that list.
Dominus
BV Georges de Latour
Opus One

Had a crazy offer come out during the summer from ACV. A group of us went in on 1 case of Anderson Conn Valley per month for a year. Here is a little snapshot of what showed up in the first case!

f4eb86e1990ae2801794ab02d65dfd6e.jpg

ACV are exceptional wines for the price. Multi decade drinkers. Love the Eloge and Right Bank.  I have a case or 2 in my offsite storage. Todd Anderson is quite the character.

• Hook 'Em 1