Wine

Hollywood

Question on moving wine.

We're moving down to Naples, FL in July.  While I don't drink the wines that some here drink on a regular basis I do have about 250 bottles to move down.  We will have a moving company move us.  My concern is that three days in the back of a moving truck will not be good for the wine.  Suggestions?

14 minutes ago, milkman said:

Your wine will get cooked that time of year in a moving truck! Do you have a place to store the wine until the temps cool? Make a road trip or find someone to bring it later in the fall when the temps cool.

That's my thought as well.  We're renting a climate controlled storage unit in Virginia.  I may store it there and then move it down at a later date.  There's a lot of sentimental value in that wine and I don't want to damage it.

I hear you but I need to get my bottles safely stored.  I think I've found a place in DC so carry on.

Just send them to me. I'll take good care of them.....In all seriousness I can ask around if you need a recommendation around DC to cellar your wine.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, milkman said:

This is going to be the longest 3 days of my life. I have an oenophile trip starting on Thursday. It is going to be three days filled with some of the most beautiful wines on the planet!

this is one of those opportunities to include me in your friend group i keep talking about.

How was that 74 Montelena? How long have you had it? I’m guessing it’s hard to find well-stored older wines from California.

One of the guys on the trip brought the bottle. It was slightly corked but still enjoyable and showed well for an old school Cali cab. We run across some older bottles from time to time but getting harder to find. Especially ones with really good provenance.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:15 PM, milkman said:

Judgement time....

8d04019e79a855cf4c3e67dcb5c31f04.jpg

0caf23c8595d9bf54ba3d497e57fec8a.jpg

Really interested to hear your thoughts. I’ve had a few of these and would probably give 82 Ducru the nod, though 89 LMHB is one for the ages. Had it side-by-side with 89 Haut Brion for a birthday a few years ago. Almost unobtainable these days and ridiculously expensive if you can find it. Enjoy man, great lineup there. 

• 2 weeks later...