Wine

Hollywood

1 hour ago, Smax said:

anyone familiar with Williams Selyem wines?

pricey, but consistently good Sonoma area wines.  I like them better than Kosta Browne, they are a bit more restrained, in general, than KB.  that isn't anything you don't already know, though.   I haven't visited them but know people who have, say they do a great job on winery visits.

• Haha 1

Thanks, I know I tried a few their wines at a restaurant out there and enjoyed them so I put my name of their waiting list. Got an email the other day that I can now order with a link to my allocation list. The hard part is how do you know what to order when you haven't tried anything on the list ..

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Thanks, I know I tried a few their wines at a restaurant out there and enjoyed them so I put my name of their waiting list. Got an email the other day that I can now order with a link to my allocation list. The hard part is how do you know what to order when you haven't tried anything on the list ..

Aren't you local to them?  Can't you go do a tasting?

He usually also will steer me to the better values each offering etc.

I usually only order once every other year or so now since my wine buying has nearly come to an end but he keeps me on the list.

So if you have any specific requests or style preferences I can try to help.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Aren't you local to them?  Can't you go do a tasting?

No I live in Houston

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I know one of their owners if you want me to help set up a visit. PM me.

Wish I knew this when I as out there as I don't think you can do a tasting/visit unless you or someone in your party is a member. Looking back I think that is what prompted me to get on their list

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

He usually also will steer me to the better values each offering etc.

I usually only order once every other year or so now since my wine buying has nearly come to an end but he keeps me on the list.

So if you have any specific requests or style preferences I can try to help.

They are pinot focused as you know, 13 different ones in this allocation so I was just curious how people pick which to buy if they aren't buying their entire allotment.

53 minutes ago, Smax said:

No I live in Houston

Wish I knew this when I as out there as I don't think you can do a tasting/visit unless you or someone in your party is a member. Looking back I think that is what prompted me to get on their list

They are pinot focused as you know, 13 different ones in this allocation so I was just curious how people pick which to buy if they aren't buying their entire allotment.

I can send him an email if you have any particulars or are just looking for ideas.  Typically the single vineyard offerings vary pretty significantly across the board, from bright red fruit to darker fruit profiles, for example.  Some have much more pronounced cola flavors, etc.  So, if there's a type or style (and sometimes the wines will vary from vintage to vintage from the same vineyard in this regard) you want to try or is in your sweet spot, I can ask to see what he can recommend in that regard.  Best to do this off line rather than clutter this thread, though.  

Happy to help as I was planning on reaching out to him myself to see if there was anything I "had" to have from this offer (and to talk to him about fantasy football for this season).

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have found there are a couple of things that help me to explore wines.  

First, there is a great podcast called Wine for Normal People.  They talk about different grape types, different areas, and put it plainly, which is nice.

Second, the New York Times has the Wine School, and some other great articles.  Usually in the Wine School, they take three wines of the area or grape they are talking about, taste it, and describe.  It is a good way to educate yourself on different wines.

Currently, I am really into women winemakers from Burgundy, wines from Languedoc-Roussillon, Sicilian wines, and wines from Jura and Gigondas.  

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Few good ones from an event a while back

How was the 2011 Fairchild?  I've had a really mixed bag with 2011 Napa cabs in general, which was a problematic year in Napa.  Had a few good, a lot of "meh" that tasted OK to start and fell off completely, and some bad ones.  Opened a 2011 Herb Lamb cab last week;  it was awful.  Not corked or tainted, and it had been stored properly -- it was just awful.  I've sworn off 2011 vintage for Napa art this point.  Don't want to spend $150 again for a crapshoot

15 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

How was the 2011 Fairchild?  I've had a really mixed bag with 2011 Napa cabs in general, which was a problematic year in Napa.  Had a few good, a lot of "meh" that tasted OK to start and fell off completely, and some bad ones.  Opened a 2011 Herb Lamb cab last week;  it was awful.  Not corked or tainted, and it had been stored properly -- it was just awful.  I've sworn off 2011 vintage for Napa art this point.  Don't want to spend $150 again for a crapshoot

It was actually phenomenal, but that is far from the norm for that vintage.  I took a 2011 Bond St. Eden to a dinner not long ago, and it was about as boring as the dallas cowboys offense.  It wasn't bad, corked or anything.  It was just flat and boring, and those wines are never boring.  I generally avoid 2011 too.  I am consuming the ones I have, and so far most have been pretty underwhelming.  A few have really shined, but that just isn't the norm.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Allocation/shipment season is starting!  What are you getting?

My list:  Piper, Pott, Seven Stones, Immortal, Memento Mori, Harlan Mascot, Scarecrow M. Etain, Vineyardist, Arkenstone, William & Mary, La Pelle, Peter Michael, Kelly Fleming, Young Inglewood, Brand, Shibumi Knoll

I need serious help...

We returned from a trip to Italy that was primarily wine focused.  I figured I'd share some pics.  Be forewarned.  The next post or two is pic heavy.

We started in Bellagio and did a tasting and dinner at a local place.  Lombardy wines were the drink of the evening.

26-E2-F240-0-C50-4283-8-CD6-AE6-EFCC3662

142141-B9-0-FA0-400-C-83-E0-FE8-C894-DF7

9-C382-B95-AEC3-401-D-AA6-A-2-B559-A37-C

F121-A91-E-1513-4-CFA-B223-C239436-EBD4-

We only stayed in Bellagio two nights.  It was our adjust to the time zone spot.  Next we headed to Barolo Meriame which is Paolo Manzone's agritourismo.  This part of the trip was all about the Nebbiolo featuring Barolo and Babaresco.

Nebbiolo

A1-AFDDC3-1375-45-E4-9-D57-C292-D019-D6- 

The hills around the town of Barolo

2223-EAD1-83-F4-4823-A434-3-AC4736-B2-E4

6-B882186-9-D77-4-ACB-91-C5-B8-D70927-A9

Owner's stash at Verndunno aboe and below.  Yes, that La Tache up top middle right.

6-B882186-9-D77-4-ACB-91-C5-B8-D70927-A9

39-C86989-1393-4-ACB-A16-F-748317-BC2-EC

After Piemonte we traveled south and staying in Monti in Chianti.  We started in Montalcino.  Here's the aftermath of a wine tasting at La Fortezza in the castle at Montalcino.  It's a fantastic enoteca to do your Brunello tastings.  13 people and 13 tastings so there are a few wine glasses left on the table.

349765-CC-5-E02-4409-B148-18-BB98-A55-F7

Sangiovese

1031-C9-E3-7-F30-4-BEB-BF53-514338248743

Next we headed to Bolgheri for a day trip to taste Super Tuscans.  We visited Grattamacco and Chiappini for tasting with lunch in the town of Bolgheri.  Caberbet Sauvignon and Sangiovese at Grattamacco.

0-E398-FC4-55-BA-45-EC-819-C-DB8-A8-CA08

9980-C116-95-F8-4739-8399-3-CF480-AFC569

There's just a little difference in color between the two.

CE7-CACD8-387-B-4507-A7-C2-ADD0-EE0-E698

2-B8-CEA4-A-3-DF4-416-B-90-BF-B5-E49-FCD

1-B178-B84-55-C2-4-FB8-AB64-A2-C31-F5-D0

Next we hit my favorite little Chianti vineyard.  I Sodi.  They make fantastic Chianti and a very good Super Tuscan as well.  We got into some of the old stuff there.

DD2-D0474-52-C2-4-CEC-A494-F6423818-F85-

5-D03-DBA5-C743-4-C64-AF5-F-55-E56-DCD40

Part of my I Sodi shipment arrived the other day.  Of course, Ruffas had to do a customs inspection before allowing it into the house.

86217-B14-E8-C9-44-EE-B8-BC-396-DDC73-F9

2-B6404-BB-6307-48-A0-97-BD-8119-DD05-F5

Some random pics.  Thanks for looking.  I'm already plotting my next trip to Italy which will certainly involve more time spent in Bolgheri.  It's a beautiful area.  First, it looks like a trip to Argentina is in the works.  I need to stock up on some Malbec.

712-FCB70-5-B6-D-4-BCB-BA64-6-E0-E4-F291

F7-AFC361-CA87-41-EC-ABDF-197-E9-A057082

293865-B3-56-FB-41-DE-8270-A7929-A8-ABBD

B1-B4-E36-D-510-E-48-CF-AA68-C58-D4032-E

A5375-E73-323-D-4831-A589-51422-EA76-CD3

7849-A86-D-BE86-44-A2-B1-E4-3065-BC00171

• Like 1

Messed up one photo in the previous post.  Here's the owners private stash with the La Tache.
A962-F858-8842-40-E8-9-C3-F-73-A6-C1-E12-D76.jpg

So I take it he has no issues storing the bottles standing up. I've always heard that wine geeks don't agree on this point. Maybe it depends on the humidity?

I wondered about that.  I figure that wine has been made there for a long, long time so they know what they're doing.  There were other wines stored on their sides in the room.  None of these bottles seem to be in great condition so maybe they took previous damage and are stored simply for what they were.

Agreed.  We didn't see that anywhere else except at some wine stores.  That vineyard (Verdunno) does not produce the wine at that site.  Their wine was fantastic but it was unusual compared to others.  They won't ship to the US.  You have to go through their importers to purchase it here.  That's a shame because there were three couples that were ready to drop some coin there.  We all ended up purchasing a magnum of 1999 Barolo anyway to bring back in luggage.  If they could ship to the US we would have purchased at least a few cases between us.  Fantastic wine.

Looks like Argentina for the harvest and wine festival in March.  It's simply too cheap down there to pass up a trip and great wines can be had for great prices.  I just need to see how many days I can negotiate in Uco Valley with my wife.  I can easily fly down on Amex points and it's dirt cheap for the most part once we are there.

On 10/23/2018 at 1:00 PM, VABuckeye said:

Looks like Argentina for the harvest and wine festival in March.  It's simply too cheap down there to pass up a trip and great wines can be had for great prices.  I just need to see how many days I can negotiate in Uco Valley with my wife.  I can easily fly down on Amex points and it's dirt cheap for the most part once we are there.

Wife and I did the Vendimia in Mendoza a couple of years ago, it was a great time. Spent a week going up and down the valley, great wines and the people were wonderful. We hit the Colchaugua valley in Chile right afterwards which I also recommend. The exchange rate now is ridiculously good. We are considering a return trip this March.