Wine

Hollywood

48 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Pretty much everything I've from these guys is spot on.

Has a very tart cherry taste to the wine.

http://pontotocvineyard.com/

Also was able to bag a case of Caymus that was mispriced at Spec's the other day for the princely sum of $79 total.  Guess the cashier didn't realize the mistake.

You got a case of Caymus for less than the winery charges for one bottle?  Well done, good sir.

On 3/25/2018 at 8:08 PM, nivek3 said:

Ok here's a question for the experts. (would that be considered an oxymoron?) I originally started on wine years ago drinking Shiraz. I found the acidity along with my poor diet caused me to have acid reflux. My diet has been corrected and I have since shifted over to Pinot Noir. I normally stick to the $10-15 dollar bottles. Any suggestions on brands or even different types of wine? Not big into the sweet stuff, red or white. Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

We go with Meiomi Pinot Noir. HEB has it at usually $17-18. That’s our go to, but really like Cakebread Cab on special nights out. 

• Like 1

Lately I've been frequently ordering Malbec's at restaurants and it's been a pretty good bang for your buck when you are already overpaying for wine.  Particularly with steak as a "good" cab is both too damn expensive and depending on the size of the quality of the wine list most likely too young to drink anyways.  I need to start paying better attention to what I've ordered but anyone have any "go to's" I could pick up at Specs/Total wine?

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Lately I've been frequently ordering Malbec's at restaurants and it's been a pretty good bang for your buck when you are already overpaying for wine.  Particularly with steak as a "good" cab is both too damn expensive and depending on the size of the quality of the wine list most likely too young to drink anyways.  I need to start paying better attention to what I've ordered but anyone have any "go to's" I could pick up at Specs/Total wine?

Malbec's pretty much all taste the same to me.  Try the bordeaux or red blends the next time you're having steak.  They'll usually have some decent bordeaux (chateau counsillier etc) for decent prices because everyone seems to assume you have to order cab to eat red meat. 

Opened a Vavasour sauv blanc from Marlborough NZ this past weekend. Reviews mentioned grapefruit sour finish, it was definitely citrusy and sour finish. Really needed a strong food to cut the sourness. I was just sipping with no food, barely got myself to finish the first glass. But hey, screw top so I have it saved for another try this weekend. $22 (Thai price), would not buy again.

Edit: I guess the winery name checks out...

Edited by Sam Lin

I was questioning for a while whether sauv blanc was my thing, as the Vavasour was such a turnoff. Tried various ones in lounges and on planes, the best was merely ok, the acidity paired well with a fatty pork dish I was eating, but I still didn't find it that enjoyable. Had a good group together, so I opened a bottle of Yealands S1 sauv blanc last night. Had bought it with high hopes due to how strong the reviews were, and I wasn't disappointed. Almost too sweet on initial taste, but the flavors that came after were great, the finish actually could have been a touch more acidic, but this was very very enjoyable to drink.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/yealands-estate/wines/yealands-estate-s1-single-block-sauvignon-blanc-uv?ref=navigation-search

Bought a bottle of Cloudy Bay this past weekend as a friend recommended it as a good and readily available reference for sauv blanc. Am very curious how it'll compare now that I've actually found one I enjoyed.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:16 AM, Skipper said:

Other option is to order a Malbec blend like this Vistalba (a bargain at $15 at Spec’s - https://specsonline.com/shop/wine/vistalba-corte-c-carlos-pulenta-2009/). It’s 76% Malbec, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% bonarda. They are tougher to find at restaurants, but to me, they have that strong Malbec start with a good Cabernet finish, whereas a straight Malbec wine finishes a bit watery. 

Edited by gaspar

8 hours ago, bularry1 said:

I'll admit I've never had an Aligote.   How was it?  what is the flavor profile?

minerals upon minerals are what I taste...though I lack a discerning palate.  I have had a number of aligotes and find them refreshing and great to drink with all kinds of food...seafood, chicken, salads and white fishes.  Plus, they are a fraction of the price of chardonnay burgundies.  

Here is a great article about them:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/dining/white-wine-burgundy-aligote.html

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, bularry1 said:
they probably only have about 20,000 cases left now!  premium "napa" juice there!

I'll never understand the caymus hate from some wine snobs.

They jacked the price through the roof

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/food/1998/07/15/caymus-consternation/36ad5a78-5f2b-4d29-b180-980043fcc485/?utm_term=.e9709e69e6d2

6 hours ago, Bearlyhangingon said:

minerals upon minerals are what I taste...though I lack a discerning palate.  I have had a number of aligotes and find them refreshing and great to drink with all kinds of food...seafood, chicken, salads and white fishes.  Plus, they are a fraction of the price of chardonnay burgundies.  

Here is a great article about them:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/dining/white-wine-burgundy-aligote.html

Yeah, I love the minerality and acidity.

On 4/2/2018 at 6:42 AM, VABuckeye said:

Barbera isn't a wine that typically gets cellared.

It depends on the Barbera. The lighter, lower alcohol Barbera, sure, don't cellar that. But they make quite a few (in particular a number of Barbera d' Asti) that can be and probably should be cellared.

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
19 hours ago, bularry1 said:
they probably only have about 20,000 cases left now!  premium "napa" juice there!

I'll never understand the caymus hate from some wine snobs.

I’d definitely consider myself an insufferable wine douche/snob, and I love caymus.  It’s consistent, well made and generally my “go to” at overpriced steak houses.   I know it will always pair well, and I like the earthy mountain fruit it always has.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I’d definitely consider myself an insufferable wine douche/snob, and I love caymus.  It’s consistent, well made and generally my “go to” at overpriced steak houses.   I know it will always pair well, and I like the earthy mountain fruit it always has.  

This is how I feel as well.  It's consistent and it tastes good.  And it's less expensive than a lot of Napa cabs.

Got a nice little 3 day blind tasting event coming up:

1997 Super Tuscan vs. Nebbiolo
Salon Blanc de Blancs
Chapoutier l'Oree
Tenuta Ornellaia
Tenuta Masseto
Antinori Solaia
Gaja Sperss
Gaja Sori San Lorenzo
Quinta do Noval Nacional

1990 Syrah Showdown
Dom Perignon Rose
Krug Clos du Mesnil
Jaboulet La Chapelle
Guigal La Turque
Guigal La Landonne
Guigal La Mouline
Penfolds Grange
Chateau d'Yquem

2007 Blockbuster Napa Cabernets
Roederer Cristal
Haut Brion Blanc
Scarecrow
Schrader CCS
Schrader Old Sparky
Abreu Thorevilos
Shafer Hillside Select
Chateau d'Yquem

Went to the Midnight in Paris wine tasting at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse in the Galleria on Friday.  

The best wine of the evening was this Domaine A-F Gros.

20180427_173900-X2.jpg

When I was in Paris last Spring, I looked for A-F Gros wines, and could not find any of them.  This wine was absolutely stunning.

The next best wine of the night came from St. Emilion.  

20180427_182120-X2.jpg

And then finally, we were hungry after all the wine, and decided to stay for dinner.  They had a bottle of Cotes du Luberon which was really quite tasty.

20180427_193647-X2.jpg

On 4/20/2018 at 5:38 AM, HouTex said:

It doesn't follow the current trend of lower alcohol, "balanced", wines. The same folks hate modern Bordeaux and big Southern Rhones. They blame Robert Parker.

not in my case.  at least I might prefer a more nuanced wine at times, but I still have a place in my heart and palate for a big Napa red.

I just think you can get something that tastes just like Caymus for $40 instead of paying the Caymus price.   Their winery is in Rutherford, as are their vineyards, yet they don't designate their wines as from Rutherford.  why?  To be labeled Napa, wine could be from a large growing area and as much as 15% could be from non-Napa sources.   At current production volumes, I'd guess a lot of Lake County fruit in this bottling.  

Just not what I like about wine.  But that's what makes wine so great, lots of different options for us each to get what we like.  If you want to buy Caymus, then God's Speed!

On 4/29/2018 at 10:07 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Went to the Midnight in Paris wine tasting at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse in the Galleria on Friday.  

The best wine of the evening was this Domaine A-F Gros.

20180427_173900-X2.jpg

When I was in Paris last Spring, I looked for A-F Gros wines, and could not find any of them.  This wine was absolutely stunning.

The next best wine of the night came from St. Emilion.  

20180427_182120-X2.jpg

And then finally, we were hungry after all the wine, and decided to stay for dinner.  They had a bottle of Cotes du Luberon which was really quite tasty.

20180427_193647-X2.jpg

That Gros has Pinot on the label. Not sure I've ever seen that from a Cote D'Or bottling, although I admit to not drinking a ton of Burgundy.   Is that unusual or am I just dumb?

34 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

That Gros has Pinot on the label. Not sure I've ever seen that from a Cote D'Or bottling, although I admit to not drinking a ton of Burgundy.   Is that unusual or am I just dumb?

19 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It's unusual.

Just a little bit about the winery. 

http://www.af-gros.com/

Basically, this wine is grapes from two parcels in Pommard and one in Burgundy, thus its declassification.  I have been looking for A-F Gros wines, and this was the first time I had a chance to have any.  It was absolutely great.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Just a little bit about the winery. 

http://www.af-gros.com/

Basically, this wine is grapes from two parcels in Pommard and one in Burgundy, thus its declassification.  I have been looking for A-F Gros wines, and this was the first time I had a chance to have any.  It was absolutely great.  

What was the vintage?

On 4/30/2018 at 10:44 AM, bularry1 said:

not in my case.  at least I might prefer a more nuanced wine at times, but I still have a place in my heart and palate for a big Napa red.

I just think you can get something that tastes just like Caymus for $40 instead of paying the Caymus price.   Their winery is in Rutherford, as are their vineyards, yet they don't designate their wines as from Rutherford.  why?  To be labeled Napa, wine could be from a large growing area and as much as 15% could be from non-Napa sources.   At current production volumes, I'd guess a lot of Lake County fruit in this bottling.  

Just not what I like about wine.  But that's what makes wine so great, lots of different options for us each to get what we like.  If you want to buy Caymus, then God's Speed!

What do you think tastes as good for $40?  I'd like to try it. 

22 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

My experience is that there are plenty of wines in the $40-$80 a bottle range that are very satisfying.  Once in a while I'll spend more but I like the value in that price range.

Any recs on specific wines?  My experience asking the store folks for help is hit or miss, at best.