Wine

Hollywood

Hosting a dinner tonight with some friends and for the first time I am opening one of my Schrader LPV wines. Also bringing out a Phelps insignia 2007. Both are 100 point Parker ratings if you’re into such things.  Im always interested in those ratings as a guide. I will say the few times I’ve had the 2007 insignia, and frankly this applies to the 2007 vintage in general, I’ve felt it was vastly over rated.  I haven’t had it in about 5 years so I’m hoping the extra 5 years of age has allowed it to blossom a bit. I had the same feeling about the alpha omega era 5 years ago and a recent taste of that wine has proven the extra 5 years has been beneficial.  

• Like 1

Stopped by two wineries on 290 this past week... Ron Yates, which I really like for their reds and pet nats and Hye Meadow winery which wasn't bad.  Nice location and tasting room.  The wine tasting lady was super nice but was basically reading the tasting notes on the piece of paper.   Still, a great spot when you have your kids with you.  Skipped William Chris this time and was interested in Kuhlman but heard it was reservation only.

Edited by texasdago

On 1/2/2020 at 9:51 AM, texasdago said:

Stopped by two wineries on 290 this past week... Ron Yates, which I really like for their reds and pet nats and Hye Meadow winery which wasn't bad.  Nice location and tasting room.  The wine tasting lady was super nice but was basically reading the tasting notes on the piece of paper.   Still, a great spot when you have your kids with you.  Skipped William Chris this time and was interested in Kuhlman but heard it was reservation only.

depends on what you are interested in...if you are a group of 8 or more you have to call ahead. 

they do a really cool food and wine pairing that is 5 bites + 5 wines that I highly recommend, that is done with one of their Sommeliers plus the more traditional tastings that are going to be more like the "here are the tasting notes we were told".

you can book online, but i think it has to be 24 hours in advance?

you can book online also: http://www.kuhlmancellars.com/Tastings

2 hours ago, NoName said:

depends on what you are interested in...if you are a group of 8 or more you have to call ahead. 

they do a really cool food and wine pairing that is 5 bites + 5 wines that I highly recommend, that is done with one of their Sommeliers plus the more traditional tastings that are going to be more like the "here are the tasting notes we were told".

you can book online, but i think it has to be 24 hours in advance?

you can book online also: http://www.kuhlmancellars.com/Tastings

One of these days we'll have to try that.  For now, if boys are in town, we have to chug what we can quickly and then run out with bottles before they lose it.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I’ve finally dropped off K-B. The original owners-winemakers are long gone, and they’ve sold off twice now. The wines are still very nice but they’ve been overpriced for at least the last 7-8 years.

The wine’s still good, and 2017 was a good vintage for the early harvests like this Pinot. I haven’t followed the ownership and really just know the label from some guys that helped me learn about new world Pinot. I appreciate you filling in some blanks there. With that said, it was really good. Especially since I didn’t pay for anything 

• Like 1

The wine’s still good, and 2017 was a good vintage for the early harvests like this Pinot. I haven’t followed the ownership and really just know the label from some guys that helped me learn about new world Pinot. I appreciate you filling in some blanks there. With that said, it was really good. Especially since I didn’t pay for anything 

I actually know Dan and Michael (Kosta and Browne) personally. They both now have their own individual projects.

Michael’s is Cirque, and VERY pricey. I’m still on that list but I really can’t justify more than a bottle or two each vintage (north of $100 a bottle). Dan’s new wine is called AldenAlli. Project with Emeril Lagasse. Alli is Dan’s wife and Alden is Emeril’s. I haven’t tried it yet but I think the winemaker is the guy who took over for Michael after they sold KB.

• Like 2

Discovered Angelica Zapata recently in Buenos Aires. 

Brought 4 bottles home.  They're already gone.  

Price is right too. I was down there in Nov and they adjusted prices somewhat to the currency devaluation but in Jan 2019 I bought six bottles for about $20 each. Still, at less than $30 it’s a great value. I also bought some Catena Zapata last time I was down and $80 was a lot better than I was seeing in the states.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, Bevo VIII said:

What do y’all spend per bottle on average?

Cellartracker tells me it's $89.90 but that was skewed from when I was heavily building up a cellar from around 2012-2017.  I really haven't bought much the past few years except my annual buy of Burg futures and maybe a Bordeaux future or two to keep my Lynch Bages vertical going.

On a side note, I am moving back to London in April and need to unload a Eurocave that holds around 100 bottles and is about 10 years old.  Let me know if there is any interest on the board.  Have a Klose smoker too if anyone is interested.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Cellartracker tells me it's $89.90 but that was skewed from when I was heavily building up a cellar from around 2012-2017.  I really haven't bought much the past few years except my annual buy of Burg futures and maybe a Bordeaux future or two to keep my Lynch Bages vertical going.
On a side note, I am moving back to London in April and need to unload a Eurocave that holds around 100 bottles and is about 10 years old.  Let me know if there is any interest on the board.  Have a Klose smoker too if anyone is interested.

Where are you located?