Wine

Hollywood

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but are there any legit "wine of the month", or other subscription type programs? We always buy our regulars at local stores, but would love to try some new things. I'm guessing most charge a bunch of money and then send you junk. 

5 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but are there any legit "wine of the month", or other subscription type programs? We always buy our regulars at local stores, but would love to try some new things. I'm guessing most charge a bunch of money and then send you junk. 

The only ones I have found worth a damn are those of vineyards that I love and even those have filler bottles in most shipments.

• Hook 'Em 1

pshh, no mouton-rothschild?  do you even 1855 classification premiere cru full house, bro?
jesus christ, milkman.  you do appear to live well. 

We have some late entries....Full disclosure there are a few of us having a small tasting and we are all contributing. We are searching for another bottle of two.

861adc886e80d274952cb9b333621eea.jpg

755cf8df6288d618aa610cb78ce5fc10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

No.  you are getting what ever they bought on the cheap and have good margins.  

Use the Vivino app to search wine reviews and get ratings.  You can take a picture of the bottle or even of a bottle on your screen and get feedback.  Usually any rating over 4.1-4.2 is good.  4.4+ is usually really good.

If you want to try new wines and not spend a fortune try lastbottle.com  They have an app too.  I have had good luck with the vast majority of the wines I pulled the trigger on.  Huge variety of wines with good write ups of what to expect.  Usually good deals, sometimes great deals, especially during their marathon days.  

If you are wanting to spurge, wine.com has some coupon codes that can save you up to 15-30% and get free shipping on orders over $100.00.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 3:43 PM, sidis said:

pshh, no mouton-rothschild?  do you even 1855 classification premiere cru full house, bro?

jesus christ, milkman.  you do appear to live well. 

Not being a dick, but probably coming across as a dick…. Mouton actually wasn’t added as a first growth until 1973, though it should’ve been there from 1855

Looking for recs on wineries to hit in the Paso Robles/Templeton area. 

In no particular order:
- Denner
- Proulx
- Kinero Cellars
- Halter Ranch
- Herman Story
- Peachy Canyon
- Kenneth Volk
- Turtle Rock
- Tooth & Nail

Kitchenette is worth a stop for breakfast, Spearhead for coffee and Les Petittes Canailles is one of the best meals I’ve had in the last 3 years.

Only go to Daou for the view IMO - Their wine is insanely overrated and overpriced, but you can’t beat that view.

If you can find any of Anthony Yount’s stuff (Kinero) be sure and buy/drink immediately.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

How did it hold up?  Silver Oak isn't known for long term aging.  

It was perfect. I went to the vineyard in May and they told me the Alex 97’s were looking to be solid until ‘25. But I thought it was time. And it was.

• Hook 'Em 1

Only go to Daou for the view IMO - Their wine is insanely overrated and overpriced, but you can’t beat that view.

Maybe but the Daou Rosé is pretty much the only Rosé I drink. Just great. Especially now. And it is

11 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

It was perfect. I went to the vineyard in May and they told me the Alex 97’s were looking to be solid until ‘25. But I thought it was time. And it was.

I prefer the Alexander Valley to the Napa, TBH.  Higher price does not equate to better wine with this label.  The Napa to my taste has way too much American Oak and has a pickle juice characteristic that is very off-putting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

My knowledge of wine is shit. Can one  of you give me a couple of suggestions of a bottle in the $300 range that is likely available in most shops. I need to pay a favor back.

You can’t go wrong with Cristal. The 2008 and 2009 vintages are outstanding, in your price range, and you should be able to find it at Specs/Total Wine/Twin Liquors. 

• Like 1

12291547594782.png

Joined a wine club at a small, local, family owned wine shop. For $30 a month we get to choose either 2 wines from a list of 4, or 1 upscale wine. We chose the 1 this month and this was it. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks to retail between $55 and $60. Looking forward to enjoying it. 

2 hours ago, Teebox said:

How does that trip compare to other wine regions?  We go to Napa 1-2 times a year but are wanting to mix it up with an Oregon trip.

We just stopped here on our way to the coast so it wasn’t a full-fledged trip. From what I have seen and read it is a great trip. I would have liked to have spent more time here but the other couple we are traveling with wanted to spend more time on the coast. 

On 7/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, Mo Horn said:

12291547594782.png

Joined a wine club at a small, local, family owned wine shop. For $30 a month we get to choose either 2 wines from a list of 4, or 1 upscale wine. We chose the 1 this month and this was it. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks to retail between $55 and $60. Looking forward to enjoying it. 

Isn't Emmolo a Wagner brand?

59 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Isn't Emmolo a Wagner brand?

21 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Yes

So, I'll show my lack of knowledge... is being a Wagner brand a good thing? We haven't opened it yet. Might sous vide so rib-eyes this weekend and drink it. 

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So, I'll show my lack of knowledge... is being a Wagner brand a good thing? We haven't opened it yet. Might sous vide so rib-eyes this weekend and drink it. 

I see I misread your initial post I quoted.  I thought you said you visited a small family owned vineyard and joined their club.  But you said you visited a small family owned wine shop.  Hence my confusion.  Wagner is about as far from a small family owned operation as there is.

They make some good wines, they're just huge is all.

Edited by Chewbacca

I don't think it is one way or another.  They have Caymus, Conundrum, Mer Solieil etc under their umbrella.   I see the Emmolo Merlot at Total wine for around $55.  Same for HEB.  So if you got it for $30, I think you got a nice deal.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What you saw a lot this last year in the wine business was that due to COVID putting a severe strain on the restaurant industry, a lot of those wineries that focused most or all of their efforts in the restaurant sector all of a sudden had a large supply of wine with no place for it to go.  There are many wines that wineries would historically say were "restaurant only" and even then, only the top restaurants.  So then a lot of of these wines were all of a sudden being offered to key retailers so that wineries could move through inventory knowing that the next vintage would be released soon.   Wineries were making pitches to Costco that would never allow Costco to sniff their inventory before.  Wine clubs became another great avenue to move inventory, and that usually comes with a more aggressive cost.  Not exactly sure if that is the case with Emmolo Merlot, but $30 seems pretty aggressive from a small family wine shop.  

On another note: 

I have a friend who frequents Underground Cellar. I am not sure how it all works but my understanding is there are lots you can blindly buy and every once in a while the slip in a rare bottle.  They fucking shipped him a bottle of DRC Richebourg 2016.   Kermit Lynch has it listed for $2400.  He doesn't even know where to start as far as trying to sell it.