Wine

Hollywood

They were both superb. Very different wines but each extremely enjoyable.

The Hermitage was delicate and floral. Perfectly balanced.

The Sloan was in a really good place. Tannins have receded leaving a velvety full flavor with no sharp edges but still tons of fruit.

They were both superb. Very different wines but each extremely enjoyable.

The Hermitage was delicate and floral. Perfectly balanced.

The Sloan was in a really good place. Tannins have receded leaving a velvety full flavor with no sharp edges but still tons of fruit.

Northern Rhône’s are my weakness. Have you had any of the Guigals? Those make my wheels turn!

10 hours ago, huge said:

1990 Grange?  Wow I think.  Had a bottle of Grange at Vic and Anthonys once.  ONCE

Probably my favorite pour, or at least the one that stands out the most.

It was not out of place among the big boys from the Northern Rhone.  I've enjoyed several vintages, and each time it has been as good or better than the other wines we drank with it.  And when talking about price, it's actually a good value compared to the high end Rhones.

6 hours ago, b_p said:

It was not out of place among the big boys from the Northern Rhone.  I've enjoyed several vintages, and each time it has been as good or better than the other wines we drank with it.  And when talking about price, it's actually a good value compared to the high end Rhones.

Honestly I have no idea what the Rhones cost but the last time I priced Grange it was $850 for a 2012

9 hours ago, huge said:

Honestly I have no idea what the Rhones cost but the last time I priced Grange it was $850 for a 2012

Grange has gone up pretty significantly in recent vintages.... I was fortunate enough to get some 2010 for $485 each, but you'll struggle to find it for <$700.  For those 1990's in that picture, the Guigal's were $800-1000 each, and the Grange was $470.  The Grange was voted second place out of those five wines during our blind tasting.

Long story short, you can't go wrong with Grange if you want a excellent, world class Syrah/Shiraz.

Jesus wine has gotten expensive.

My bank account agrees. There are some great QPR wines. You either have to be at the right place at the right time or just pure luck. It has turned into a rich man’s hobby!

Not sure if wine or bourbon/whiskey has gotten to the point of no return.

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I know this is the wine thread, but figured I could ask about Champagne. Looking for suggestions for something good, with out the name Dom or Krug. Don’t mind spending money, just looking for variety.

Just throwing some out there...

Money is no object: Salon

Still pricey: Pol Roger Winston Churchill

Little bit cheaper: Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque 

$100-ish: Laurent-Perrier Grande Siecle

<$100: Ruinart Blanc de Blancs, Bollinger NV, Veuve Clicquot yellow label

I’m partial to the Bollinger Grand Anee ($130ish).

Charles Heidseick in a NV brut or Rose is fantastic. The 1999 rose was out of this world.

Reeder makes a good vintage rose.

Others we like:
Gaston Chiquet
Pierre Gimmonet st Fils (blanc de blanc and Vintage extra brut are both excellent)

10 hours ago, b_p said:

Just throwing some out there...

Money is no object: Salon

Still pricey: Pol Roger Winston Churchill

Little bit cheaper: Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque 

$100-ish: Laurent-Perrier Grande Siecle

<$100: Ruinart Blanc de Blancs, Bollinger NV, Veuve Clicquot yellow label

Need the panties to come off: Billecart Salmon Brut Rose

• Like 4

Need the panties to come off: Billecart Salmon Brut Rose

This man knows what he is talking about.

In other news I just went shopping at my storage. It was like Christmas. Picked up 4 cases of perfectly aged 95 Bordeaux, early 2000’s Napa cabs, and some Rhône stuff from the 90’s.

Best part—I already bought the stuff 15 years ago.

• Like 3

Any recs for good Cabe, Malbecs, or Pinot noirs under $50 a bottle and ready to drink? I‘D take red recommendations outside those styles too.

Under $50?

Freeman, Siduri, Arista, Holdredge, among many others all have some really nice RRV and Sonoma Coast Pinot Noirs that should run under $50 retail.

Also Arista is run by a Longhorn.

Most good Malbecs are well under $50. I am not fond of them so I don’t have any rec’s.

Cabs are harder to find in that price range. Seems like entry point these days is between $50-$100. Glad I loaded up around 15 years ago. They are just too pricey now.

11 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Catena Alta Malbec runs right at $50, and is good

Honestly, hard to find a really good Napa cab for $50. Hall (the basic Hall cab) is 50-ish, as is Stag’s Leap Artemis.  Both are OK.    Daou Reserve (Paso Robles) is a little over $50, and not bad.

Thought of a couple of others — Ladera and Heitz.  Right at $50