Favorite Scenes

Go Pokes

17 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Seriously.  He gets famous as this understated role as a mafia don, then spends the rest of his career yelling at shit.  Worst career trajectory.

on that note, i guess i should mention one of my favorite scenes in godfather 2. 

after escaping havana, michael comes back home, and he's kind of unwinding with a towel. one of the first questions he asks tom is "what about my boy - did you get him something for christmas?"

tom says he took care of it and michael asks what it is. 

"it's a little car with an electric motor in it, so he can ride around" something like that. seems minor.

then it cuts away to the throwback to a weak fredo baby. and on the movie goes.

we go through michael killing fanucci, and then to the hearing at congress, with cicci says "the family had a lot of buffers."

after that, it cuts to michael coming home in the snow. he walks up to the house, pausing a moment to take a look at the christmas present that tom bought his son just sitting out in the snow. it's that moment that really gets me, because he seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders.

then he goes and asks his ma about losing his family. she says you can never lose your family. to which he responds "times are changing."

for some reason, that fucking christmas present that he was not home to shop for and to give personally to his son resonates with me. just sitting out there in the snow, illustrating how far away he has drifted from his family.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 2

Staying with Godfather II... Mothers funeral... No Dialog, just soundtrack.  Michael walks into the room where Fredo is... Fredo seeing Michael...Michael embracing Fredo.  Fredo is clinging to Michael...Michael giving the nod to Neri as he holds his brother in his arms.  Neri's subtle reaction was like "jesus man"...

Edited by BonzoMontreaux
  • Like 1

My guilty pleasure is in The Hunt for Red October right around the time we get JEJ saying “another torpedo, where the hell’d it come from?”

“Torpedo heading 315.”

“Turn right, 315.”

“That’s wrong, Ryan don’t turn that goddamn wheel.”

“3.1.5.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted in another thread but the ending of Manhunter with Ina Gada DaVida - that song made it work

Pearl Harbor - of all movies but the scene where they are taking off for bombing Japan. can imagine it was possibly just that chaotic to laucnh hundreds of miles farther out. As a side not the word suicide mission is overused but not for Doolittle Raid - they took off knowing they didn't have enough fuel to make it and also not even knowing if their landing fields had been built. Luckily a tailwind got most of them to China

From Jaws... the 2 old guys fishing for the shark off the pier with the roast.   They way the score sets that scene up and builds the tension while the one guy is swimming back to the dock to get away from the rest of the dock being pulled away and then back to them.... gets me every time.  Never once do you see the shark but you KNOW that it is there. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

From Jaws... the 2 old guys fishing for the shark off the pier with the roast.   They way the score sets that scene up and builds the tension while the one guy is swimming back to the dock to get away from the rest of the dock being pulled away and then back to them.... gets me every time.  Never once do you see the shark but you KNOW that it is there. 

Can we go home now?  

• Like 1

Also from Godfather II when Connie goes to see Michael to book passage for her and her boyfriend on the Queen Mary. Michael says:

"Connie.....if you don't do as I say....and marry this man...............................................................you'll disappoint me."

The lighting, the way he says it, all perfectly menacing.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:16 AM, Nole-4-Life said:

Also from Godfather II when Connie goes to see Michael to book passage for her and her boyfriend on the Queen Mary. Michael says:

"Connie.....if you don't do as I say....and marry this man...............................................................you'll disappoint me."

The lighting, the way he says it, all perfectly menacing.

really, i love the godfather, but i think godfather II is the real masterpiece. not a single wasted scene. "i don't know this merle, i don't know what he does or what he lives on"

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So many great ones so far in this thread, including a number from Godfather II.

If you'll indulge me... My favorite scene is when Kay and Michael are in the hotel room, and Kay is trying to tell Michael that she's divorcing him and taking the kids. He's having none of it and tries talking her out of it, progressively moving from calmness to shear rage before he finally snaps.

It's not the dialog or Diane Keaton's acting, it's Pacino's facial reactions as the scene moves forward. Sometimes, the best acting is unspoken.

3 scenes come to mine. All for different reasons:

acting chops / writing : True Romance  - Christopher Walken / Dennis Hopper trailer scene

technical: Children of Men - the long take shot in the car

pure movie making magic:  Field of Dreams - "wanna have a catch" scene.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, hayden_horn said:

really, i love the godfather, but i think godfather II is the real masterpiece. not a single wasted scene. "i don't know this merle, i don't know what he does or what he lives on"

After you posted this I had to go back for a rewatch. You're absolutely correct. An absolute masterpiece in filmmaking. Every scene, the lighting, the dialog, the pacing. Just a perfect film.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 11:57 PM, Rip76 said:

All time favorite.

I love this movie.  Had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen right before this Covid shit started.  Steiger is so good anytime the chief has to humble himself and ask Virgil for help.  

Now you've made me want to post my clip

Edited by Go Pokes

On 4/21/2019 at 12:55 AM, Go Pokes said:

Hope we haven't done this before, but I caught the last hour of The Godfather and the baptism scene got me thinking about my all time favorite scenes in movies.  So my list would look like this:

Baptism scene in The Godfather

Montage of Benjamin wasting his life in The Graduate set to The Sounds of Silence.(that ape).

They call me Mr Tibbs! in In The Heat of the Night

I couda been a contenda

Our server is down and I'm bored, so I wanna post the rest of my scenes.  Pardon my faux pas, but the ape is not in this montage.  

But I love monkeys, so I'm posting it anyway

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

After you posted this I had to go back for a rewatch. You're absolutely correct. An absolute masterpiece in filmmaking. Every scene, the lighting, the dialog, the pacing. Just a perfect film.

This.  I am always blown away by everything in this movie every time I watch.  It's a work of art.

It was a great scene but if I had a dollar for every time I've heard/read that diCaprio injured his hand in real life and continued on with the scene...I'd make my own movie.  

It was also the only scene in her life that Kerry Washington every displayed a modicum of acting prowess.  But a great fucking scene(s).  

I'd like to submit any of the bathroom scenes in "London"  

• 1 month later...

This old fart chokes up every time this scene unfolds:

Rick and Victor Laszlo are talking in Rick's office.  Laszlo, hearing Nazi officers singing, interrupts his coversation with Rick, rushes down to the house band and demands, "Play 'La Mareillaise' . . . PLAY IT!"

The band leader looks up to Rick.

Rick gives him "the nod."

What follows is my all-time favorite scene.  If your throat doesn't seize up as the music approaches "Aux arms, citoyens!" there's something seriously wrong with you.

Fantastic combination of acting, editing and soundtrack.  Remember, this was 1942.  This war was far from over.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...