Favorite Scenes

Go Pokes

On 7/1/2020 at 12:25 PM, henrygandorf said:

way late lol

but this is absolutely one of my top ten movies ever. SO good. just masterfully acted across the board. 

i mean i was a Titanic fangirl as well but LA Confidential was a damn near perfect movie.

This is a two parter.

It’s just brilliant. The music and sound effects, the wardrobe, the lighting, the color, the choreography, the editing, the acting - Claude Rains is genius, Basil Rathbone is a perfect villain, Errol Flynn a perfect hero, and Olivia de Havilland a perfect babe.

The sound of the arrows are made by recording real arrows specially designed with particular feathers by an expert marksman in order to make that sound. He’s also the one shooting actual arrows into the padded chests of stuntmen during filming who received double pay in return.

I’ve commented on this before. I have this on DVD. But if I’m flipping channels and see that The Adventures of Robin Hood is coming on, I’ll tune in figuring I’ll just watch until this scene. Invariably I’m locked into the whole movie by that point. (Look at the lighting when they’re crossing the stream at the end of that second video!)

It’s a great story but it’s also outstanding in every technical respect.

I could post a bunch of other favorite scenes from this film. The quarter staff fight with Little John on the log over the river, recruiting Friar Tuck, the meeting at the Gallows Oak, the ambush of Sir Guy and the Sheriff and Maid Marion in Sherwood Forest, and the subsequent banquet, the archery contest, the rescue of Robin Hood from hanging, the reveal of King Richard’s return, and, of course, the big finale of the sword fight between Robin and Sir Guy. It’s just fantastic from start to finish. 

Favorite scenes. Gosh, so so many. Many of them already listed so I'll add a few more.

The Color Purple: As Shug Avery helps Celie (Whoopie Goldberg) to leave, Celie telling Mister "I'm poor, black, I might even be ugly, but dear God I'm here. I'm here."

Spoiler

and then the closing scene in the field makes my allergies bloom like nothing else:

Spoiler

Another Spielberg masterpiece is Empire of the Sun. Several faves from that one, but Christian Bale singing the Welsh lullaby of Suo Gan..gosh.  Just haunting. I love that movie.

Spoiler

A Good Year has a chess scene with Albert Finney and Freddie Highmore that makes me smile. All our children would try and cheat at chess at that age and it cracks me up because of the look on Freddie's face. My husband loves that movie (I suspect that Marion Cotillard has something to do with it. She is quite charming, especially in that movie). He was so disappointed to discover that the 'house' as it is in the movie was not a real location per se (complete with the tennis court, pool, vineyard, etc).

Chariots of Fire. The beach run. The Olympic victory.

Breaking Away. So many great scenes from that movie. So many lines.

Moonstruck. Same as the above.

Ronny: "I'm in love with you."

Loretta Castorini: [slaps him twice] Snap out of it!

------

Cosmo: There are three kinds of pipe...

The Tourist. The scene where Steven Berkoff wrinkles his nose, "A tourist?....you told a tourist?"  I'm a fan of the actor in the various roles he plays (often a villain) and it's just so like him...

Enough as this is too long already...