Favorite Scenes

Go Pokes

Hope we haven't done this before, but I caught the last hour of The Godfather and the baptism scene got me thinking about my all time favorite scenes in movies.  So my list would look like this:

Baptism scene in The Godfather

Montage of Benjamin wasting his life in The Graduate set to The Sounds of Silence.(that ape).

They call me Mr Tibbs! in In The Heat of the Night

I couda been a contenda

"Goddammit Cookie, move your ass! I want my 12.!"

tarring the roof in Shawshank

The "Fuck you, we're friends" scene in Finding Forrester.

and my favorite:

Of course being a kid at the time makes a huge difference but these are the scenes where I can remember distinctly how I felt at the exact moment even decades later. 

The millennium falcon flying out of the Death Star as it exploded.

when Sam picked up and carried Frodo.

The entire sequence of the time out and last shot of Hoosiers.

9 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Of course being a kid at the time makes a huge difference but these are the scenes where I can remember distinctly how I felt at the exact moment even decades later. 

The millennium falcon flying out of the Death Star as it exploded.

when Sam picked up and carried Frodo.

The entire sequence of the time out and last shot of Hoosiers.

For me, the best Hoosiers scene was when Coach Dale was talking with Jimmy Chitwood and Jimmy drains shot after shot after shot; only for ole Norm to tell him he doesn't need him on the team.

Clang...

Then it comes full circle at the town hall.   Fuck spoilers...the movie is over 30 years old.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

For me, the best Hoosiers scene was when Coach Dale was talking with Jimmy Chitwood and Jimmy drains shot after shot after shot; only for ole Norm to tell him he doesn't need him on the team.

Clang...

I’ve never looked it up but I wonder how many takes that took

“HEY STELLLLAAAAAA!!!”

When the aliens blew up the first building in Independence Day

Even though it’s overdone, I still get the feels during the Rudy chant

lastly....going obscure here but in the movie Dredd (the newer one) after they try and kill him with the big ass rail gun and he walks out of the dust and throws a dude off the railing in front of the baddies. Do yourselves a favor and watch that movie if you haven’t.

Oh Captain, my Captain.

Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

You must be out of your goddamned mind, Joe Lewis is the greatest boxer ever lived . . .

Sally Fields scene in Steel Magnolias after her daughter dies.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Is it possible that the two utes . . .

The opening scene of Inglorious Basterds is endlessly rewatchable, and I am far from a Tarantino fan. I probably watch that scene a handful of times every year. 

The first time your watch it is great because, at some point, you realize, "Holy shit, Landa already knows he's hiding the family, and he knows exactly where they are...he just wants to fuck with the farmer, and hear himself talk." Then, on every rewatch, you know that he already knows, so you pick up on all the little nuances he uses to sell it just being a normal questioning.

• Like 2

The scene with Danny Devito and Peter Facinelli in the hotel room after Kevin Spacey has stormed out in "The Big Kahuna."  For such a funny actor, Devito is absolutely gripping as he explains to Facinelli's why his desire to tell people about his faith is actually just another version of what he and Spacey do, which is outside sales.  When he closes with how Facinelli doesn't have any character or experience yet, "No Bob...you've done plenty of things to regret.  You just don't know what they are yet."  

Even though Spacey is a shitheap in real life, it is a great movie.  I make every employee who ever goes out on the road on our behalf watch it.  

I could use some movie titles in some of these.  I don't what movie about 10 of those quotes are referencing.  

Vince and Jules in the car talking about Europe in Pulp Fiction

The trip down memory lane at Coney Island in Annie Hall 

Hard to pick one from Young Frankestein, but I think I'd go with "Sedagive?!!!" 

All of the Hoosiers scenes are great calls. Lots to pick from in that one.

In the most iconic scenes of all time, I'd have to think the final reveal sequence in usual suspects is pretty high up there. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist, and like that...

Lion in Winter has a ton of great scenes...so many badass quotes. Delivered by some of the best actors of our time. Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, and Anthony Hopkins. A few of my favorite scenes:

=======

============

====================

Henry II:
I found out the way your mind works and the kind of man you are. I know your plans and expectations - you've burbled every bit of strategy you've got. I know exactly what you will do, and exactly what you won't, and I've told you exactly nothing. To these aged eyes, boy, that's what winning looks like!

52 minutes ago, futureman said:

while I love your pick, the one that really hits me hard is the whole “he was a soldier of rome, honor him” sequence with the musical score.  I cry every single time. 

The frost, sometimes it makes the blade stick.

dude knows he's fucked immediately.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat".  That whole sequence leading up to that line and following with the first full reveal of the shark...  "that's a 20 footer...  25, 3 tons on him"

Father Merrin's arrival. 

"Oh my God"  The Captain when he spots the tidal wave in Poseidon Adventure. 

The basketball scene in Airplane. 

When Nick the Dick gets introduced in the kitchen, the slap sound cracks me up.  

The conclusion of the fight with Rocky/Creed and after a slight pause, everyone pours into the ring with music in background. 

• Like 1

Heat: aborted jewel heist scene where Neil (De Niro) hears the rifle butt inside the panel truck & his eyes sear through dark/infrared to find Vincent's (Pacino). No words are spoken, but everything is known.

The Remains of the Day: when Miss Kenton (Thompson) attempts to pry the book from Stevens' (Hopkins') hands in his parlor. They were inches away from love & a life, but he clutches the book & forever dooms himself to a life of observing, not living.

No Country for Old Men: when Chigurh (Bardem) corners Wells (Harrelson) in his hotel room before killing him.

Goodfellas: how do you choose between the Copa scene and the Layla scene?

And all of Casablanca, for that matter.