Let's talk about Siamese Dream

ztejas

1993. Personally, I think it should be on any top 10 albums of the 90s list.

Corgan is a genius. I get there might be radiohead fans here - but to me, this might be the magnum opus alt-rock album of the 90s. Yes - I include Nirvana and Pearl Jam and AIC and all that shit - but the versatility Corgan displayed on this record is pretty unparalleled imo. He took so many risks and attempted so many different styles and made them all work into a cohesive piece.

Anyways, fantastic album. Wanted to crowdsource input from the board on this one. 

• Like 4

I don’t know about genius, but he is a hell of a musician and songwriter. Siamese Dream is most definitely a top 10 of the 90s. They probably should have stopped there.

Steve Albini most definitely does not agree with these sentiments. I believe he called them the REO Speedwagon of alternative music.

Both Gish and Siamese Dream are in my top ten. Gish is a more depressing album for me that I like to listen to when I'm down. Siamese Dream makes me want to climb a tree and howl into the wind. Same as it did in '93 when I was 17.

The Pumpkins should be in the rock HOF no question. Billy's innate douchebaggery will keep them out for the foreseeable future.

Hummer might be my favorite song of all time. It is a masterpiece.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

Both Gish and Siamese Dream are in my top ten. Gish is a more depressing album for me that I like to listen to when I'm down. Siamese Dream makes me want to climb a tree and howl into the wind. Same as it did in '93 when I was 17.

The Pumpkins should be in the rock HOF no question. Billy's innate douchebaggery will keep them out for the foreseeable future.

your mom's hummer is in my top 10 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, smuggs said:

They have 4 or 5 that I could say at any given time were their best. Hummer is one.

Edited by Dolemite

I remember buying this CD at the end of high school and playing it in my dad's car, which had a nice sound system.  It was one of those albums that sounds better and better the more you turned it up until it was shaking your chest during the heavy parts.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:43 AM, Loco said:

I hate 1979... Zero or gtfo

I can understand this although I like 1979. 

Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Porcelina of the vast oceans, and where boys fear to tread also rock the fuck out off of that album.

The first 5 songs on Gish are among my favorite songs of that era, but I don't really care for anything beyond that. I saw them live around 1992 in the opening slot with Pearl Jam and RHCP at the old Palmer Auditorium. They came out and stared at their guitars for 45 minutes, then Pearl Jam came out and tore the roof off the place, followed by RHCP burning down what was left. I went into that show most excited to see SP, and left thinking they were meh. 

• 1 month later...

I love Siamese Dream.  Cherub Rock belongs in the discussion for greatest album openers of all time.

Billy Corgan is an artistically bloated shithead with zero sense of self awareness, but he's made some pretty great music.  Mellon Collie could have been great if they had just put 12 best songs on one album, but I'll direct you back to the previous sentence.

I think it's their best record. It's a "top tier" 90's album. Whether you want to put it at number 8 or number 25 is all subjective at that point. It's held up better than their other stuff. I'm not sure that I agree with OP that he took a bunch of risks and tried different styles or anything like that. I don't think it's particularly "ambitious." To me it's the best representation of their style of guitar-driven melodic hard rock. 

On 4/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, ztejas said:

I can understand this although I like 1979. 

Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Porcelina of the vast oceans, and where boys fear to tread also rock the fuck out off of that album.

Bodies.  Fucking love that song.

Thirty-Three.  Fuckin A there's some great songs on this album.

Edited by CurlyDumps

I think it's their best record. It's a "top tier" 90's album. Whether you want to put it at number 8 or number 25 is all subjective at that point. It's held up better than their other stuff. I'm not sure that I agree with OP that he took a bunch of risks and tried different styles or anything like that. I don't think it's particularly "ambitious." To me it's the best representation of their style of guitar-driven melodic hard rock. 

Spot on.