Israel

SmokeyBear1861

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And again, note that I'm not really on board with this particular cause/protest here (not overly opposed, either....I think it's messy and maybe not the most effective messaging)....and....that's not the fucking point.  It doesn't matter what it's about, or whether we agree with it or not.  That's the whole.  fucking.  point.  of the fucking. First.  Amendment.

When it kicked off, I ignored it as a bunch of kids who had no clue (or cared) that what they were doing would have no impact on the situation other than to make them feel good about themselves.  That’s the old man in me talking, who has seen a shitload of protests going back to the early 90s, and whose sister used to do this kind of stuff.

But after seeing what our limp-dicked spineless MAGA Governor ordered and is saying, fuck it, they could be protesting for the right to kill baby owls and I’d support them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

When it kicked off, I ignored it as a bunch of kids who had no clue (or cared) that what they were doing would have no impact on the situation other than to make them feel good about themselves.  That’s the old man in me talking, who has seen a shitload of protests going back to the early 90s, and whose sister used to do this kind of stuff.

But after seeing what our limp-dicked spineless MAGA Governor ordered and is saying, fuck it, they could be protesting for the right to kill baby owls and I’d support them.

GOLL and I were just talking about this.  If young Brisket was a current student, I wouldn't have been involved in today's protest.  Not my thing, not an issue I'm bought in on.  However, if tomorrow, the student body is going to engage in a general strike and protest in protest of the actions of the State of Texas in violation of the Constitution, young Brisket would be pressed up against the barricades like a mofo.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GOLL and I were just talking about this.  If young Brisket was a current student, I wouldn't have been involved in today's protest.  Not my thing, not an issue I'm bought in on.  However, if tomorrow, the student body is going to engage in a general strike and protest in protest of the actions of the State of Texas in violation of the Constitution, young Brisket would be pressed up against the barricades like a mofo.

Yep.  Frankly, if the students don't call a general strike after this, then I've got no use for 'em.

Journalists in Gaza get treated better than that guy did 10 blocks from his studio.  

We are going to be the rightful butt of ridicule over this for months, if not longer.  

All because a piece of shit thinks he has out an outside chance at a cabinet appointment.  Spoiler alert Greg, you just made yourself a political liability even for TFG.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fuck the press !!!!

Well, the press IS the enemy of the people.  Have you not gotten the numerous messages from The Dear Leader, Donald J. Trump, our Lord Most High?  Seriously, the fascists have followed the "attack the lugenpress" playbook to the fucking LETTER.  Why should today be any different?

The problem for them is...now EVERYONE has a fucking camera.  Fucking fascists.

40 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Just got this email University wide:

UTPD Notice of Dispersal Order

THIS IS A DISPERSAL ORDER FOR OCCUPANTS OF THE SOUTH MALL:

I am Assistant Chief Ashley Griffin and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway. 

I command you in the name of the People of the State of Texas to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal Code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway.

The closest thing to rioting I saw in any of the videos was by the fucking cops.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. You might want to look into that one a bit. 

Yes, obviously Journalists in Gaza have come into harm's way but rarely at the direct order of the State.  It's usually incidental/corollary.  It was hyperbole for effect.  

I mean, tackling and brutally arresting a cameraman who offices just blocks away from the DPS station is an awkward coincidence.  Even for pro-Abbott folks, that''s not gonna sit well because of the time-honored tradition of not fucking with media or medical care providers during heated situations.  Sooner or later, somebody is gonna FOIA their orders and rules of engagement and how UTPD was stepped over and this whole Abbott charade is going to come tumbling down, and right quick.  

I just had a text exchange with a Regent and the chair of the Texas Higher Educatino Coordinating Board and they are both completely fucking baffled by this move by Abbott calling in riot DPS.  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, obviously Journalists in Gaza have come into harm's way but rarely at the direct order of the State.  It's usually incidental/corollary.  It was hyperbole for effect.  

I mean, tackling and brutally arresting a cameraman who offices just blocks away from the DPS station is an awkward coincidence.  Even for pro-Abbott folks, that''s not gonna sit well because of the time-honored tradition of not fucking with media or medical care providers during heated situations.  Sooner or later, somebody is gonna FOIA their orders and rules of engagement and how UTPD was stepped over and this whole Abbott charade is going to come tumbling down, and right quick.  

I just had a text exchange with a Regent and the chair of the Texas Higher Educatino Coordinating Board and they are both completely fucking baffled by this move by Abbott calling in riot DPS.  

Exchange “completely baffled” by “completely buffaloed” and not doing jack shit, and your post might be accurate.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You might tell Fred to stop giving money to fucking Abbott while y'all are texting.

image.thumb.png.cff80ecf81eebf1915ba76a32365d346.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You might tell Fred to stop giving money to fucking Abbott while y'all are texting.

Well, that's how he got to be one of Abbott's statewide co-chairs.  And his father and my mother were siblings.  So kinda cuts deep and I don;t like to mix politics with family.  Maybe we can delete this portion of the thread in case of any grumpy political searches down the road.  But i get your point.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Well, that's how he got to be one of Abbott's statewide co-chairs.  And his father and my mother were siblings.  So kinda cuts deep.

Yeah, I know how the good ol' boy network bullshit works, but that's THE FUCKING PROBLEM and why the assholes keep power in this gotdam state.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that's a whole other legal bag of shit to unpack.  Arrested on state property by state troopers for 'violating' state lawful orders.  I'm guessing somebody in the AG's office is gonna try and have this remanded/relocated to a state court.  Which would still be nearby and more favorable to those arrested but opens it up to being made examples of at the appellate level.  Make no mistake, Abbott wants this performative theater broadcast high and wide.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Exchange “completely baffled” by “completely buffaloed” and not doing jack shit, and your post might be accurate.

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I don’t think baffled was the right choice of words. I think seeking medical attention for an erection lasting longer than four hours is likely more accurate. These people will slob Abbott’s flaccid knob over this. Not an ounce of principle among them.

2 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

I’m constantly blown away at republicans binary brain. Everything is black or white (definitely not black see racism) and grey doesn’t exist. Mind bottling 

It's worse than that.  Remember, "people who the law binds, but does not protect, vs. people who the law protects, but does not bind."

These are the same people who have been SCREAMING about "campus free speech!" for years.  Who cry about "free speech" on every social media site every minute of every day.  But who ALSO openly support "cracking skulls" of people who are saying things....they don't like/don't agree with.

It's content-based repression of speech.  The exact bullseye thing that the First Amendment protects.  They.  Don't.  Care.  They actually fucking HATE the Constitution, so again with the irony of the fact that every one of these assholes has in their bio "Constitution-loving Republican."  They are fucking liars.  Absolute fucking liars.  They are poison.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's worse than that.  Remember, "people who the law binds, but does not protect, vs. people who the law protects, but does not bind."

These are the same people who have been SCREAMING about "campus free speech!" for years.  Who cry about "free speech" on every social media site every minute of every day.  But who ALSO openly support "cracking skulls" of people who are saying things....they don't like/don't agree with.

It's content-based repression of speech.  The exact bullseye thing that the First Amendment protects.  They.  Don't.  Care.  They actually fucking HATE the Constitution, so again with the irony of the fact that every one of these assholes has in their bio "Constitution-loving Republican."  They are fucking liars.  Absolute fucking liars.  They are poison.

Spot on. It’s infuriating 

9 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

I’m constantly blown away at republicans binary brain. Everything is black or white (definitely not black see racism) and grey doesn’t exist. Mind bottling 

Yes! So true.

Who was the classical philosopher who advocated for absolutism? Bourbon and bong resin has slowed my br...