2020 House election thread

cactusflinthead

Colorado, Virginia, and Arizona patiently nodding with that assertion. 

I don’t think there’s going to be a long Purple phase in Texas, if at all. If there is a break in the dam with a statewide win this year (Biden, Hegar, Castaneda for RRC, even a Supreme Court judge) incumbents are going to have more mirrors for their asses in 2022. All state Senate seats will be up that cycle as well.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is what I have been saying for awhile--Texas isn't going to go purple.  It's going to go blue, and in a hurry.

Texas has always been a one-party state, in part because partisan competition works to the detriment of the big businesses that have always ran the state.  As soon as Democrats start winning, the big money from TAB and TxOGA are going to come to them.  And with the money to run registration and GOTV drives, the Democratic Party in this state is going to become dominant.

We’ve already seen this election cycle how influential a democratic attorney general in Texas could be.

ken Paxton is almost single handedly keeping Texas in the 1980’s when it comes to voting.

29 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

We’ve already seen this election cycle how influential a democratic attorney general in Texas could be.

ken Paxton is almost single handedly keeping Texas in the 1980’s when it comes to voting.

That's right.  And ironically, he's probably the GOP's weakest position player on the statewide lineup card.  To the extent there is ticket-splitting in 2022, you could easily see a lot of people voting for Abbott and voting against Paxton.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets a primary challenge for that reason.  I think any primary challenge would be doomed.  And a primary challenge would only serve to weaken Paxton further, which would obviously make a Democratic victory in a statewide race all the more likely.  But at the same time, if your a GOP strategist, you can't be happy going out there with a seriously negative-WAR player going out there at AG.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's right.  And ironically, he's probably the GOP's weakest position player on the statewide lineup card.  To the extent there is ticket-splitting in 2022, you could easily see a lot of people voting for Abbott and voting against Paxton.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets a primary challenge for that reason.  I think any primary challenge would be doomed.  And a primary challenge would only serve to weaken Paxton further, which would obviously make a Democratic victory in a statewide race all the more likely.  But at the same time, if your a GOP strategist, you can't be happy going out there with a seriously negative-WAR player going out there at AG.

Both Patrick and Paxton weigh the ticket down every time. 

abbott gets way more votes than those 2 imbeciles.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is what I have been saying for awhile--Texas isn't going to go purple.  It's going to go blue, and in a hurry.

Texas has always been a one-party state, in part because partisan competition works to the detriment of the big businesses that have always ran the state.  As soon as Democrats start winning, the big money from TAB and TxOGA are going to come to them.  And with the money to run registration and GOTV drives, the Democratic Party in this state is going to become dominant.

Brisket is gonna shove you off the ledge for this post.

Hey now, we can't have any of this optimism in the CR.  GTFO with that.  This place is for panicking and doom.

I wouldn't call it pie in the sky optimism. The underlying theme is that large corporate interests ultimately run the show. I think that's hard to refute and should Democrats any kind of control we all need to be prepared to hold their feet to the fire

5 hours ago, Bookman said:

In the Republican primary, the nuttiest person wins.

In the general election, a lot of people vote Republican because that's what they were taught to do.

I think Patrick gets by because of what I call “ low information GOP lifers”.  These voters are from Texas. They don’t follow politics at all. They probably barely know who dan Patrick and Greg Abbott are.

theyve been told to vote GOP all their lives by their friends, family, and people around them.  They’re too busy with their lives and the lives of their kids to care about politics, but they show up every 2-4 years to vote straight ticket GOP or what is seen by them as “ the home team” or “ the good guys”. 

Texas probably has millions of these types of people who are too busy with their careers, families, and kids lives to follow or care about politics, but they show up and vote for the GOP every few years because in their mind they’re doing their civic duty and it’s what they’ve been told.

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

I think Patrick gets by because of what I call “ low information GOP lifers”.  These voters are from Texas. They don’t follow politics at all. They probably barely know who dan Patrick and Greg Abbott are.

theyve been told to vote GOP all their lives by their friends, family, and people around them.  They’re too busy with their lives and the lives of their kids to care about politics, but they show up every 2-4 years to vote straight ticket GOP or what is seen by them as “ the home team” or “ the good guys”. 

Texas probably has millions of these types of people who are too busy with their careers, families, and kids lives to follow or care about politics, but they show up and vote for the GOP every few years because in their mind they’re doing their civic duty and it’s what they’ve been told.

Yep. Shit, I’m sure I probably voted for at least one of these assholes back before I paid attention. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just got an email from Julie Oliver that she raised over $250k in August.  That seems good.

Per Open Secrets, she had 90k on hand versus Williams' 1.25M, as of June 30th (end of quarter).  So, she has some ground to make up.  Fortunately, it isn't all about the money, but money certainly helps.  

Next quarter reporting should be interesting to see how much candidates raised, and from who. My impression is that there is just money flowing on both sides.  The system fucking sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

My impression is that there is just money flowing on both sides.  The system fucking sucks. 

YEP.  Biden shattered the all time record in August and I don't necessarily see that as a good thing.  Yay?  I guess it shows people hate dotard, but come on.  We have to get caps on this shit.

Wesley Hunt has an ad talking about his family history and slavery and overcoming that to graduate from West Point.  He shows the March on Washington in his ad, as well as his family.  

Wesley Hunt is Black.

But the one word you won’t find in his ad?  Republican.  It doesn’t even say it at the end. 

What are his chances and who is he running against?

23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Wesley Hunt has an ad talking about his family history and slavery and overcoming that to graduate from West Point.  He shows the March on Washington in his ad, as well as his family.  

Wesley Hunt is Black.

But the one word you won’t find in his ad?  Republican.  It doesn’t even say it at the end. 

He's running against Lizzie Fletcher in the Texas 7th: https://ballotpedia.org/Texas'_7th_Congressional_District

This district was red with Bill Archer and then John Culberson for a couple of decades before Fletcher defeated Culberson by 12K votes in 2018. Good question on whether she can keep the seat or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Pancho said:

Wesley Hunt is Black.

He doesn't get to hide that on the ballot, which will have a big ole "(R)" behind his name.

House Minority Leader is a snowflake that can’t tell the CoC is reading long term political winds

Kevin McCarthy says he does not want Chamber of Commerce endorsement after reports it's backing freshman Dems

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/kevin-mccarthy-says-he-does-not-want-chamber-of-commerce-endorsement-after-reports-its-backing-freshman-dems

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

She’s a miserable little bitch. I don’t think she’s going to lose tho. I keep crossing my fingers that she somehow gets screwed in redistricting. New York is going to lose a seat or two. Hopefully, her seat becomes much tougher to win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He's running against Lizzie Fletcher in the Texas 7th: https://ballotpedia.org/Texas'_7th_Congressional_District

This district was red with Bill Archer and then John Culberson for a couple of decades before Fletcher defeated Culberson by 12K votes in 2018. Good question on whether she can keep the seat or not.

I live in Lizzie’s district. Lots of Lizzie signs in the neighborhood as compared to Wesley. He’s also running ads saying he will protect people with preexisting conditions. Lizzie’s ads are doing a good job of tying him to Trump. I think she holds on the district.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is there a rough estimate of how many seats are in play and a breakdown by the incumbent party? I assume there are limited realistic opportunities for the Dems to gain much given the 2018 blue wave.  But the GOP has more opportunities to win some seats back.

I’m sure one will be posted in the next 15-20 days.

just need to get to the point where things are unlikely to change. I’d say after the last debate.

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is there a rough estimate of how many seats are in play and a breakdown by the incumbent party? I assume there are limited realistic opportunities for the Dems to gain much given the 2018 blue wave.  But the GOP has more opportunities to win some seats back.

16 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’m sure one will be posted in the next 15-20 days.

just need to get to the point where things are unlikely to change. I’d say after the last debate.

Cook political has one. 

https://cookpolitical.com/ratings/house-race-ratings

CNN list of seats most likely to flip: CNN
Similar for Roll Call: Roll Call

For all the angst about Bernie Bros, let’s talk about fuckhead moderates.

NE-2. The first or sixth most flippable districts on those lists.
2014 Brad Ashford (D ish) defeats Lee Terry ® after R defection to a T party spoiler.
2016 Ashford loses to Don Bacon ®
2018 Ashford loses to Kara Eastman in the D primary; Eastman loses to Bacon ®
2020 Brad Ashford’s wife (Ann) registers as a Dem and runs in the primary. Ann loses to Eastman by 30 points in the primary.
Today, shortly before the first debate, Brad endorses Bacon.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cook political just posted an update on the state of play in the house. The main takeaway is this :

Overall, however, Republicans no longer have a realistic path to picking up the 17 seats they need for a majority. In fact, if the 25 races in our Toss Up column were to break evenly, Democrats would pick up five to six seats. Right now, the most likely outcome is a Democratic net gain of between five and ten seats, with anything from no net change to a Democratic gain of 15 seats possible.

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Politico: Republican House fortunes dimming even in once-safe seats:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/13/house-republicans-2020-outlook-429130

Donald Trump is going to kill the Republican party.  

People saw that coming after the 2018 elections.

But GOP decided they'd go all Mack Brown and try and run out the clock, and squeak out a win, while the other side was putting points on the scoreboard.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

People saw that coming after the 2018 elections.

But GOP decided they'd go all Mack Brown and try and run out the clock, and squeak out a win, while the other side was putting points on the scoreboard.

There is no doubt.

republicans will be lucky to break even in the house this cycle.