NCAA football rule changes

Machinator

18 hours ago, futureman said:

that’s fucking unbelievable.  so if the pursuing defender can’t see you coming to block him he has a free path to make the tackle.  unless you block him, for which you will be penalized.  

this fucking game...

“Players will not be allowed to deliver a blind-side block by attacking an opponent with forcible contact.“

The way I read it is that you can’t Quan Cosby them, but if you set more of a pick that wouldn’t be “attacking.”

You’re not going to just get a penalty for a block but big 12 refs will inevitably fuck this up.

Looks like it might be time for the full Monty - Twenty-two refs on the field of play, one assigned to each player.

Any penalty called on any player must be reviewed immediately by the player's assigned ref, whether he or another ref called the penalty. If another ref did call the penalty, the player's ref and the penalty-calling ref must agree to either uphold the penalty or overturn it. If they cannot agree, the other twenty refs must review and decide by majority vote whether to confirm or overturn the call. If the vote fails to produce a majority, the game is suspended until the pressbox review crew can reach a decision to confirm or overturn. While the game is under suspense, either or both team bands may entertain the attendees, with the band of the team against whom the penalty has been called having first opportunity to perform, with neither band spending more than seven and one-half minutes on a given tune without relinquishing to the other band.

It's not just NC2A screwing with football rules. I've seen many, many games in football, baseball, and basketball (and other sports, of course) which were obviously "fixed" by refs making untimely - or carefully timed - calls conferring an unearned advantage on one team or taking away an advantage from the other... far too many for the "bad" calls to be anything other than blatant fuckery. 

Ultimately, the real answer is that "It's EnterTAINmen!"

These fucking assholes just can’t help but fuck up the rules. What constitutes “forcible contact” on a blind-side block? Fuck, what constitutes a blind-side for that matter? So you can “blind-side” block with contact, as long as it isn’t forcible? This is another shit rule that is rife for abuse from referee interpretation, and of course, it won’t be reviewable. And it means we will never again see a block like the one Cosby laid on that fucking sooner bitch.
Though upon further review, that was not the blind side. Or was it? 
tumblr_na49hmKUuu1tj4h5io1_540.gif

Auto pos rep every time I see that gif

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Panel members approved a tweak to the overtime rules. If a game reaches a fifth overtime, teams will run alternating two-point plays, instead of starting another drive at the opponent’s 25-yard line. This rules change was made to limit the number of plays from scrimmage and to bring the game to a conclusion.

Dumb. I'm surprised they didn't make it a coin toss after 5 OTs. The game now poetically begins and ends with a coin toss.

Edited by n64ra

47 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

So you can’t block me if I refuse to look your way? Brilliant!

The Phantom Clip that called back Rocket's game winning TD in the 91 Orange Bowl is finally illegal.  (It was a lateral block but the Buff wasn't looking, and irrelevant because he was never catching Rocket from behind).  I'm ready to acknowledge UC's Asterisked National Title.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sejjr said:

These fucking assholes just can’t help but fuck up the rules. What constitutes “forcible contact” on a blind-side block? Fuck, what constitutes a blind-side for that matter? So you can “blind-side” block with contact, as long as it isn’t forcible? This is another shit rule that is rife for abuse from referee interpretation, and of course, it won’t be reviewable. And it means we will never again see a block like the one Cosby laid on that fucking sooner bitch.

Though upon further review, that was not the blind side. Or was it? 

tumblr_na49hmKUuu1tj4h5io1_540.gif

Hope not.

I dunno, even with so much ambiguity in the definition, you can't call that blindside. Looks like a shoulder in the ribs, head completely in front and no helmet contact. We'll just have to see Ehlinger decleat a Sooner chasing Whittington next October and find out for sure.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I dunno, even with so much ambiguity in the definition, you can't call that blindside. Looks like a shoulder in the ribs, head completely in front and no helmet contact.

You HAVE watched what they’ve called targeting, right? As I recall, we got fucked on it twice in the Sugar Bowl alone. 

You HAVE watched what they’ve called targeting, right? As I recall, we got fucked on it twice in the Sugar Bowl alone. 

Them refs had money on the game’s line. They needed Georgia to get 30 yards without running time off the clock.

On 4/24/2019 at 1:10 PM, WBT said:

That blindside block rule is terrible.  I guess defenders should now be taught not to keep their head on a swivel.

It's the dismal tide.  It's not the one thing.

Guy is coming to block you from chasing down the ball carrier.

Look the other way

15 yard penalty brings it back and eject the player

lulz

• 2 months later...
Dumb.  Just move it back to the 35, and the number of overtimes would go way down.

Make it the 50. And stats in OT shouldn’t count.

Still hate the immediate ejection and suspension for targeting calls unless they’re really egregious. Institute a yellow/red card situation like soccer or something.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yet the terrible targeting rule stays as is I guess?

God a hate that fucking thing. There is no more punitive rule in any sport for an action that often happens without any intent and sometimes even outside of the offender's control. 

What’s so stupid is that it carries over to the next season as well. 

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

On the sideline going to the 20s, as a photographer, that removes another ten yards of real estate on either side of the field. I expect most schools will have to do some adjustments. Big money donors, photographers, cheerleaders, security and video crews all currently have sideline access. It already gets crowded. I'm betting they remove some of the photographer sideline passes. BMD is a BMD, but I've been to several games where BMD, trophy wife, and a couple of tween girls are on the sidelines. BMD is glad handing, trophy wife and tweens texting on their phones and none of them paying attention to the game. Always worries me that a play's going to come out of bounds and nail one of them and put them in the hospital. 

Taunting and uniform violations, meh, they were already enforcing those enough in my opinion. Coaches leaving the sidelines will get interesting when they penalize one of the hot head coaches. 

Penalizing faking injuries has to be a priority, but doing it is going to be tough. Referees can't be expected to make a decision about whether or not someone's faking an injury. Only solution I could see is charging a time out anytime an injury stops play. If a team is out of time outs, it could be a delay of game. It's not fair, but neither is expecting a referee to be a diagnostic physician. 

What are the stats regarding called targeting penalties after a review from a play that originally did not see a flag?  Or is it pretty much it is called and review is used to confirm?  I guess I am getting at if it is not called, then propose replay booth should not be able to stop play.

I agree with others on OT, if they are going to insist on using current possession format, move the starting LOS to the 50 and just make everyone go for two all of the time.  Kickers still have a chance to be involved.

Edited by BonzoMontreaux

18 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Penalizing faking injuries has to be a priority, but doing it is going to be tough. Referees can't be expected to make a decision about whether or not someone's faking an injury. Only solution I could see is charging a time out anytime an injury stops play. If a team is out of time outs, it could be a delay of game. It's not fair, but neither is expecting a referee to be a diagnostic physician. 

I like Gundy's idea of either player can't come back in until change of possession or until something like 6-8 plays

• Hook 'Em 2

I like the overtime change. Get it over with already. The rule about keeping coaches on the sidelines, can we please outlaw the "get back" guy? It's so obnoxious. Announcers think its so interesting, or humorous, or otherwise worthy of mentioning between every fucking play. I find it stupid and annoying. I don't care how focused or intense coaching is, it's not that fucking hard to not run forward onto the fucking field.

Edited by 'stache

This is just stupid!  I for one liked 3-4 overtime games, this ensures most will be very short and less suspenseful.  Starting one shot 2 point conversions back and forth in the third overtime is just dumb, it was perfectly fine how it was already.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2

• Machinator changed the title to NCAA football rule changes
  • 2 years later...

Screenshot_20230719-120223_kindlephoto-2391195.png.8b3f1996bca5b307a84efedf2db5bed9.png

The world of college football is ever-changing, and each season it seems that there are new things that you need to remember. For instance, in the world of the transfer portal, it has almost become like NFL free agency with the way that you need to remind yourself which team each player is suited up for. In recent years, it’s even become a thing to remember which team plays in which conference, thanks to the recent wave of realignment.

This year, there are several new rules that you need to make note of as we get ready for the upcoming 2023 season. With an aim at shortening games and making things safer for players, a handful of regulations have been put into place for the college football season going forward.

Here are the most important rule changes that you need to know:

Running Clock

New Rule: The clock will continue to run after first downs unless it is inside 2 minutes in either the first or second half. The old rule allowed the clock to stop after every first down, no matter when in the game it occurred.

How This Changes Things: There is an expectation that the new clock rule could shave as many as 6-8 plays off of each game, which could shorten game times by several minutes. There is also reportedly a hope that the shortened game time will limit the overall number of injuries as well.

No Consecutive Timeouts

New Rule: A team will no longer be able to take consecutive timeouts, which will most directly impact a coach’s ability to ice an opposing kicker. If the clock was stopped by one team with a timeout, the other team is unable to take a timeout before the next play is run.

How This Changes Things: Again, the goal here is to shorten the overall length of the game. This rule feels like it will have more of an impact on the overall length of the game and some of the strategies involved for coaches. No longer can they ice the kicker as they could, and both offenses and defenses may be unable to call a timeout if they don’t like what they see from the opposing side as well.

Untimed Downs

New Rule: No longer will the first quarter or third quarter be able to be extended by an untimed down following a defensive penalty. Instead, the penalty will be assessed to begin the ensuing quarter. However, the down will be clocked in the second or fourth quarter, and an untimed down will be played as it would have before in either scenario.

How This Changes Things: It doesn’t feel like this rule change will be as drastic as the others we already mentioned. In the end, it may shorten the length of games by a minor amount.

Targeting Review

New Rule: Conference offices will now be able to request a review from the national coordinator of officials to determine if a play was incorrectly penalized for a specific targeting hit.

How This Changes Things: This won’t change anything in-game, but it does have the ability to keep players on the field and over-rule first-half suspensions that we’ve seen in the past for incorrect calls.

Unlimited Official Visits

New Rule: Prospects are no longer limited to five official visits per year, and are instead allowed to take unlimited official visits during their recruitment. In the past, a recruit could take additional official visits in the instance of a coaching change but otherwise were limited to five.

How This Changes Things: This is a rule that better helps players than it does coaches. Dan Lanning was openly against this rule when it was passed, saying that forces his staff to be more selective when picking which recruits to bring on visits.

“The thing that I don’t think changed is how many visits we actually have. So if that doesn’t change, I think it’s great to be able to get guys on campus. But if you’re one of 10 visits, you know, what’s the likelihood of you getting them is 10%. We can’t bat at 10% when we bring people on an official visit,” Lanning said.

Schools may now be hosting a lot more players on expensive official visits, but the return may not go up with the increased cost.

• Like 1