Supreme Court conservatives appear ready to OK Trump’s census citizenship question

JustBecause

Well the question is now more relevant than ever with every single democratic hopefully fully supporting free illegal immigrant health care. 

Is it the 11 million estimate from 20 years ago or the real number closer to 30-40 million?  That’s a huge budgetary variable that needs to be addressed by the census.  The people have a right to know how many billions the Democratic hopefuls are giving away for votes.  

Ask the question. Don’t cower because someone else will break the law. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Well the question is now more relevant than ever with every single democratic hopefully fully supporting free illegal immigrant health care. 

Is it the 11 million estimate from 20 years ago or the real number closer to 30-40 million?  That’s a huge budgetary variable that needs to be addressed by the census.  The people have a right to know how many billions the Democratic hopefuls are giving away for votes.  

None of those people can vote.

15 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It's not like they aren't already using the emergency rooms for common colds.

Ie, they already are getting free health care. At least with the proposals it would be more cost efficient. Conservatives should be jumping on that train.

Edited by relapse98

15 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That would be great if it comes up in the census briefing after remand.  "Roberts asked us to tell why we wanted the census question since 2017.  It's because the democrats would take this position in 2019!"  

Again, the census already asks about immigration status in two surveys it does on a far more often basis.

Edit: and the estimate of 11-12 million is only 4 years old.

38 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Ie, they already are getting free health care. At least with the proposals it would be more cost efficient. Conservatives should be jumping on that train.

I wish they'd jump in front of a train. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

This.

It's like everything else. Do you want to pay on the front end and get them more cost efficient care, or do you want to be left holding the tab on the back end when they wind up in the emergency room?

2 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Thc problem is that it wouldn't make them any less brown. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, retread said:

What are the odds the question shows up on the form anyway?

DOJ sent out a release confirming that they have already sent the final form to the printer with no citizenship question. 

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

so does the case get dismissed for lack of case and controversy now? 

It's already been litigated. Basically SCOTUS said come up with a reason if you want to add the question. Obviously, the Trump Administration realized that "we want to put the question on because I'm the president and I make the fucking rules" wasn't going to fly.

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

It's already been litigated. Basically SCOTUS said come up with a reason if you want to add the question. Obviously, the Trump Administration realized that "we want to put the question on because I'm the president and I make the fucking rules" wasn't going to fly.

The judgment of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York is affirmed in part and reversed in part, and the case is remanded for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

13 hours ago, swraith said:

I assume DOJ is happy to move on at this point. Surprised Trump didn’t fight further on this just for the optics with his base.

I assume his quotes from rambling word vomit about it yesterday forced the DOJ and Commerce to say fuck it and throw in the towel. 

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's going to be very satisfying hearing Republicans cry about the next Democratic president taking full advantage of all the precedents being set by The Donald.

It's going to be a long list of fun stuff.

It won't be satisfying because everyone in the media is going to pretend to take them seriously.

• Like 1

I’m not sure how to gauge this situation.

is this thing dead? Likely dead? Alive and kicking?

my interpretation of things is that we’ve been doing the census since before the year 1800. The word “citizen” is barely mentioned in regard to this. Even slaves have been counted before. Trump doesn’t care about getting an accurate count, he just wants to make apportionment  better for republicans. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see that.