West Virginia @ Texas Series

LTtxfan

Time to start this Weekend's Series Thread.

Projected 1st Rd MLB Stud Ace pitcher  Alek Manoah for West Virginia will be worth seeing.....

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/west-virginia-ace-alek-manoah-brings-big-presence-to-the-mound/

Some MLB Mock Draft projections below on where he will be drafted:

• 247Sports: Round 1, Pick 11 - Toronto Blue Jays 
  • Baseball Farm: Round 1, Pick 18 - Pittsburgh Pirates 
  • DraftSite: Round 1, Pick 21 - Tampa Bay Rays
  • ThroughTheFenceBaseball: Round 1, Pick 24 - Cleveland Indians 

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Article/WVU-baseball-pitcher-Alek-Manoah-MLB-Draft-131307362/

-----------------------------------------------------------

WVU baseball: Pitcher Alek Manoah sees stock rise with dominant run

By Tom Bragg Staff writer

Apr 15, 2019

Expectations were high for West Virginia University junior right-handed pitcher Alek Manoah coming into the 2019 season, with the Miami native appearing on the Baseball America preseason All-America second team.

Now, in the thick of the college baseball season, it is safe to say Manoah is living up to and exceeding those expectations.

Manoah was electric in his most recent outing, even by his standards. On Friday with then No. 11 Texas Tech in Morgantown, Manoah dominated with 15 strikeouts and no walks in a four-hit shutout as the Mountaineers knocked off the Red Raiders 2-0. He was named the Big 12 Conference pitcher of the week for the second week in a row on Monday.  The week before that, he struck out 11 in eight scoreless innings during WVU’s 11-1 win at Oklahoma State in a performance that earned him the Golden Spikes Award Performance of the Week national honor. The last time Manoah gave up a run came when Oklahoma tagged him for two in the second inning three weeks ago. That puts the 6-foot-6 former high school All-American on a 22 1/3-inning scoreless streak.

“The proof is in the pudding,” WVU coach Randy Mazey said. “He went out and struck out 15, didn’t walk anybody. There wasn’t many three-ball counts. It wasn’t anything but a decision he made to be really good this past summer. Once he made that decision, his actions followed.”

Manoah’s play is making people start to take notice. ESPN’s Keith Law was in the stadium for Friday’s game against Texas Tech and pointed out in his report that in a year when there are not as many elite collegiate pitching prospects, Manaoh pitched, “like someone who wants to go in the top five picks” against the Red Raiders. Law knows a thing or two about prospects — as he points out in the article, he has been around for 18 drafts either as a member of the media for ESPN or during his time in the Toronto Blue Jays front office.

If there was a knock on Manoah coming into the season, it was his control. He can crank his fastball up into the mid-to-high 90s, has a biting slider and a effective changeup, but in the past his control wasn’t consistent. During his current streak of scoreless innings, Manoah has walked just two batters — both of those coming three weeks ago against Oklahoma.  Consider this — Manoah threw 125 pitches to get his complete game Friday against the Red Raiders. Of those 125 pitches, 103 of them were thrown for strikes. As Manoah put it after the game, “that’s pretty good.”

“The main thing is strike one, strike two and strike three,” Manoah said. “I was living in the bottom of the zone and not getting hit that much — not giving them good pitches to hit. As long as I’m doing that and feeling really good, my stuff will take over.”  There have not been many opportunities to showcase what he can do to pitch out of a little bit of trouble, but Manoah has handled those well too. Take Friday’s eighth inning, for example. Manoah gave up a leadoff double to Texas Tech first baseman Cameron Warren. With the Mountaineers clinging to a 2-0 lead at the time and a runner suddenly in scoring position, Manoah was in a tight spot. Strikeout, Strikeout, Strikeout. Warren was left stranded on second base while Manoah and WVU went on to win.  “My mindset was to just keep doing what I’m doing,” Manoah said. “I gave up the hit and all night I wasn’t focused on results. I was just focused on first pitch strike, second pitch strike and let’s get the third pitch over the plate and throw a strike. I did that nine times and I got three huge outs.”

•••  The Mountaineers have won four consecutive Big 12 series opponents, taking two of three games against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Kansas.

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I predict we rough him up and give him a loss, and then get shut out by their scrub.

Crazy thing about this team is you might be right.  Knock the cover off a hard throwing MLB prospect..... then struggle against wet paper sack change-up chunkers.....

C'mon Horns.... Let's Win Tonight!!  🤘