My fondness for Journey

ohchaucer

Let me tell you guys something - as a lifelong  musician, drummer and wannabe singer and guitarist - Journey rose so above other bands of their era and I'll that it's almost astounding. 

Power ballads and rock rippers

Schon and Steve Smith

And the voice of Perry. 

They werent Genesis or Yes. Or Styx. But they also weren't guns and roses or Def Leppard. 

I love em. They rocked on a higher level than their peers. They've been reduced, I'm afraid to karaoke go-to anthems, but the their catalog and fidelity is deep. 

Fight me, I guess?

• Like 1

My first "experience" occurred in HS when I brought my new girlfriend to my house and played Journey's new album "Escape" for her on my admittedly kickass stereo (Advent speakers, Phase Linear amp and preamp, Thorens turntable).  That album totally iced the deal.  I'm down with the Journey.

• Hook 'Em 1

That said, I met the band after Superjam 1980 at Busch Stadium, and in particular now-Austinite Greg Rolie was a dick.  I literally just walked up to the stage (10 feet down) after the concert and started chatting up the band.  Most of them were cool, especially Steve Smith.  Steve Perry and Neal Schon were approachable enough.  Greg Rolie knew his shit didn't stink.

The first concert I saw at the FEC was Journey on their Raised on Radio Tour. Glass Tiger opened. Amazing at 17 to see a band that was obviously in disarray & going through the motions was eye opening. Hard to imagine another band that can conjure up all of the senses associated with an early-mid '80s Camaro than Journey.

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

4 o'clock by the jungle gym, faget.  Dislike me some Journey.  And Styx and REO Speedwagon and their ilk.

Seriously, though, I think a big part of that was incessant airplay on certain stations.  Post-disco, I took refuge in punk, new wave, and learning my way around 70s "classic rock," all of which is pretty much objectively better than 70s-80s arena-prog-glam rock.

That said, I can generate a tiny bit of nostalgia-like for some of it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Seriously, though, I think a big part of that was incessant airplay on certain stations.  Post-disco, I took refuge in punk, new wave, and learning my way around 70s "classic rock," all of which is pretty much objectively better than 70s-80s arena-prog-glam rock.

That said, I can generate a tiny bit of nostalgia-like for some of it.

There is nothing objective about this opinion. I enjoy bands and tracks from all of the above, but none is "objectively" better than the other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

They werent Genesis or Yes. Or Styx. But they also weren't guns and roses or Def Leppard. 

I'm really struggling to understand this comment. Guns and Roses is in a different stratosphere than any of these bands. 

I do think Journey catches more shit than they deserve, though, mostly because they are so played out. They have quite a few great tracks. 

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm really struggling to understand this comment. Guns and Roses is in a different stratosphere than any of these bands. 

I do think Journey catches more shit than they deserve, though, mostly because they are so played out. They have quite a few great tracks. 

Thinks Journey isn't as good as the first three. but better than the second two.  

7 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Thinks Journey isn't as good as the first three. but better than the second two.  

Well, they're definitely better than Def Leppard.  G'n'R gets a pass from me for their debut + "Spaghetti Incident".  Other than that, they got all Axl all the time pretty damn quick.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, they're definitely better than Def Leppard.  G'n'R gets a pass from me for their debut + "Spaghetti Incident".  Other than that, they got all Axl all the time pretty damn quick.

That plus Patience, which Axly or not is a great track. 

But yes, AFD on its own puts them above any of the others listed pretty comfortably imo.

12 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I wonder why Steve Smith gets love for being a great drummer.  With all their hits that got millions of hours of airplay, I can't think of one memorable drum part, or even one interesting fill (it was all 4-tom 16th notes).

He's a chameleon.  He never showed what he was capable of doing in Journey.  He's really quite a tremendous player:

On 4/26/2019 at 8:55 AM, hullabelew said:

Jonathan Cane, that sumbitch.  He ruined the Babys and then ruined Journey.  Fucker.  

Yep...they were a legit rock band with Rolie. Cain took them to more of a bubblegum place.

However, Neal Schon is probably the most underrated guitarist working. That dude is a legitimate monster.

• 2 years later...