I saw Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Parliament

I liked it. It fell short of great but came really close.

I have to watch it again. I had a tough time keeping track of all the stones. And I swear in that final scene, Scarlett Johansson has never looked more beautiful.

I have so many questions though. What happened to Gamora? Where did Thanos's reinforcements come from?

• Like 2

i admittedly was antsy during the first 100-120 minutes, but looking back, i’m glad they did it the way they did. pretty good chance i’ll be able to relax and enjoy it more the 2nd viewing. 

it definitely did not go as i thought it would structurally. it was better. 

rewarded the nerds, but could be enjoyed by all. wasn’t easy to wrap things up as well as they did. 

• Like 2

Fat Thor was awesome.

Using time travel for its call backs, and to tie things in together (like Jarvis's name) was well done.

Skipped over some dramatic parts too bad, and insisted on itself too much on other dramatic parts.

Thanos talking all dramatical was just dumb.

I was kinda expecting them to make Steve Rogers married to a dude at the end, NTTAWWT.

I really liked it. Fat Thor was great. I liked the symmetry of the two movies. Did not start or go at all as i expected.  

So the Dr Strange in “our” timeline isn’t going to have an infinity stone?  Disney live action series with Loki going to take place in alternate timeline?

They are going to have Superman problems with Captain Marvel the way they are headed. She single handily took down a ship again. The “I don’t know how you’re going to make it through that” line right after flying through said ship fell flat. And then only a Titan wielding an infinity stone was able to hit her. 

I wonder who we see again. Scarlet witch come back?  Will they really do anything with new captain America and Bucky?

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I really liked it. Fat Thor was great. I liked the symmetry of the two movies. Did not start or go at all as i expected.  

So the Dr Strange in “our” timeline isn’t going to have an infinity stone?  Disney live action series with Loki going to take place in alternate timeline?

They are going to have Superman problems with Captain Marvel the way they are headed. She single handily took down a ship again. The “I don’t know how you’re going to make it through that” line right after flying through said ship fell flat. And then only a Titan wielding an infinity stone was able to hit her. 

I wonder who we see again. Scarlet witch come back?  Will they really do anything with new captain America and Bucky?

I thought that was pretty funny. She’s powerful enough to annihilate this massive ship and yet Thanos can beat her ass fairly easily. 

Overall Phenomenal Movie

Loved Thor and Cptn America in this one. The scene where Thanos brought his Army and Cptn stood solo and was like F it lets get it on brought the chills. 

Only dislikes... Hulk should have been involved in the 3 on 1 battle vs Thanos. He should have got that rematch. I felt like he never had that "moment" in the movie. 

CPTN Marvel should have been more involved in some way considering Fury paged her directly. 

• Like 2

I think the Russos knew you can't have Carol be a part of everything since she's ridiculously powerful. So have her offworld helping out and swoop in to do the Thor move from Infinity War complete with not besting Thanos fully. I enjoyed her fight with Thanos and the Power stone being what knocked her down. It's cool when you think about that's two stones going head to head (Space vs. Power). Got that a little with Wanda vs. Thanos. Cap and Mjolnir made my nerd pants crazy. Cap vs. Thanos and his army was great. 

So my buddy brought up a good point about Cap. So he stayed in the past and then was there in the present. How did that work given Peggy did a lot with Shield's founding and other things? Isn't he affecting the timeline or is it more that the past is the same regardless of what you do since it has already been set? And where did Mjolnir go? Another question, so everyone was brought back 5 years into the future. So what happens if say you're one of Peter's HS friends who didn't dust? You just went on and now your classmates all return even though they're 5 years younger? And where did Valkyrie's pegasus come from?

So I guess BW's movie is a prequel now. As far as future Marvel stuff, Bucky and Captain AmeriFalcon could be fun. I thought somehow they'd bring Vision back given the show he and Wanda will have on Disney+.  

Thoroughly enjoyed it but yeah the only real slow down times for peeing were the Hulk diner scene and when they went back to Howard Stark's time. Though as someone who's lost their dad, that part was pretty poignant. And we finally got Cap saying the line that they teased in Age of Ultron. 

Just thought of this, they didn't use the scene from the end of Captain Marvel. She just shows up with Tony versus the "where's Fury" line. Or did they send her to find Tony?

Edited by mdmost

10 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

They did a whole lot of shit which affected the timeline.  

Yes, but it wasn't their timeline, it was different branches (universes actually).  They were pretty straightforward explaining time travel doesn't work like in the other movies where there appears to only be one timeline.  It is still mind warping if you try to take it too seriously.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah I tried to explain to my friend what the Ancient One and Bruce were discussing when he went back to 2012. That the stones going back kept the universe in line and prevented branch universes.

Which is laughable.  For instance, how did Captain America erase the divergent timeline created when Loki escaped? lol.  

I thought it was a very good movie from a storytelling perspective. My complaints about it originate more from Infinity War and the very decision to incorporate time traveling into the storyline. Some may consider avoiding that to be awkward considering there's a time stone but then they went and gave the Avengers time traveling ability without the need for the time stone. Given that you are going to have plot holes and storyline issues when you introduce time travel they did reasonably well with that around their necks.

I hated what they did with Hulk the last two films he appeared in and I guess the Gray Hulk sort of character was the best possible resolution to his punking out the last two films. I will miss the rage monster but that's personal preference. Rage monster Hulk is best Hulk.

The first Avengers film is still the best, but a lot of that is probably that it was the first time seeing so many superheros on screen together and how well they pulled that off. This movie was an outstanding resolution to the Infinity Saga. I do think some of the comedy bits were overdone as they've tended to do lately, such as Thor being fat. Completely unnecessary, he could have been brooding and despondent without the ice cream and salad jokes. But overall really good.

How does age work with Cap and Bucky? I assumed Cap was young because he was frozen and the super serum kept him alive, but then Bucky showed up all young so I assumed it was just serum. But I guess their life span is twice ours and the freezing has nothing to do with it?

Not reading spoilers, and please quote this in your response so I can just read the response, but can anyone identify a good moment in the movie somewhere midway to go take a pee.  No way I'm making it 3 hours, cuz no way I ain't having popcorn and soda.

Not reading spoilers, and please quote this in your response so I can just read the response, but can anyone identify a good moment in the movie somewhere midway to go take a pee.  No way I'm making it 3 hours, cuz no way I ain't having popcorn and soda.

Early on when it gets angtsy.

Just now, Sbbruin said:

There's a long scene right in the middle where you can go if you're quick and not miss too much. When you see the location card for New Jersey come on the screen, run to the restroom. If you're back in a minute or so, you'll be fine. If you're not fast, you'll miss some good character building. Another option is earlier when Thor and Rocket get to their destination. You'll know it when you see it. 

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

anytime in the first half of the movie - 90 minutes - is fine if you're quick about it.  there's no place to go take a 5-7 minute dump.

there's a diner scene with hulk that's more 'funny' than 'important' so that could work.

also a time when they go to 'new jersey' that could work.

i went before the movie and had no real issue, and i finished off a medium coke during the movie.  i'm 42 and it wasn't that difficult.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

who takes a shit at the movies?

presumably nobody, but people ask about pee breaks and make it seem like "holy shit zomg the movie is so good that you can't take your eyes off it for a second!!!1"  it typically takes less than 90 seconds from door to door to pee during a movie.  there isn't a comedy or superhero movie (especially a 3 hour one) that you can't take a 90 second break from.

Yeah I thought I'd have trouble but a little planning and I was fine. I stopped drinking fluids at 3:00 for a 10:30 showing. Then consumed popcorn and drink like normal and had no issues.

The real problem is drinking fluids all day then having the big caffeinated drink on top of that. Well it's not really a problem, obviously you should usually drink fluids all day. But if your goal is not having to pee for a little while then not drinking anything for nearly 8 hours before then works. Then have enough to get yourself right again. Tom Herman would not have liked my first visit to the bathroom after the movie.

Sorry, I forgot the pee talk was on the other thread. Back to movie discussion.

I don't know where they go from here.  They'll never to Thanos.  This felt like a series finale.  Are we going to watch Ant Man battle some local scientist?  Prequels?  Meh.   I don't think they can top this.

Lots of dust in the theater when Tony died and the minutes after it.  Very disappointed with management for keeping the place so dirty.

4 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Which is laughable.  For instance, how did Captain America erase the divergent timeline created when Loki escaped? lol.  

Saying they were erased was probably not the right way to say it.  Saying he was going to put things back so there wasn't some giant CF in the other timeline was what he meant.  For instance, in the New York universe where they borrow the Time Stone from, if they don't take it back, the evil cosmic thing (dormu) would wipe out Earth.  

They have, however, irreversibly F'd up the universe that the alternate Thanos, Gamorra, and Nebula came from - they removed mass from that universe and added it to theirs (all the ships too).  I wonder if they are going to go down the multiverse instability type storyline.  That would seem a little difficult for people to keep up with.  

7 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I don't know where they go from here.  They'll never to Thanos.  This felt like a series finale.  Are we going to watch Ant Man battle some local scientist?  Prequels?  Meh.   I don't think they can top this.

Lots of dust in the theater when Tony died and the minutes after it.  Very disappointed with management for keeping the place so dirty.

Yeah, finally giving him a settled down life and kid, and then killing him off...

So how many more Starks die this week?

Edited by UT_OB1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I thought it was a very good movie from a storytelling perspective. My complaints about it originate more from Infinity War and the very decision to incorporate time traveling into the storyline. Some may consider avoiding that to be awkward considering there's a time stone but then they went and gave the Avengers time traveling ability without the need for the time stone. Given that you are going to have plot holes and storyline issues when you introduce time travel they did reasonably well with that around their necks.

i thought of that going in - since everyone kind of assumed a couple different ways of bringing everyone back.  the optimist in me wants to think it was intentional misdirection.

I have more questions. Why would Sam become the new Captain America?

Sure it's a cooler title, but I would argue his costume is already better than Cap's and given the choice between shield or wings, I would choose wings. Did you see how he impaled Thanos's guys with his wings? That was bad ass.

I thought it was ok overall. There were great parts for sure. But it's about 60 minutes too long. I hated the way they treated Hulk and Thor. I felt like they really struggled to keep everyone involved. I still don't understand their theory of timelines. I was underwhelmed by the final battle. It was fine but was expecting more. Angsty avengers are the worst. I loved Captain America and Thor s hammer. I liked Captain Marvel but hate her haircut. I thought fat Thor was funny but then it got old. I was really excited about the movie and feel kind of disappointed. I'm going to see it again tomorrow with a different group, maybe my expectations were too high and it will be better on second viewing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ajax said:

I have more questions. Why would Sam become the new Captain America?

Sure it's a cooler title, but I would argue his costume is already better than Cap's and given the choice between shield or wings, I would choose wings. Did you see how he impaled Thanos's guys with his wings? That was bad ass.

He can do both.

All-New_Captain_America_Vol_1_1.jpg

Good popcorn movie and boy did they pack a ton in and gave a great deal of fan service.  I liked it...... but I didn't love it.  This movie was sloppy in a lot of ways and failed to complete the tail end of IW, which was an amazing movie.  Time travel is a really, really hard gambit to pull off and they did it.... sloppily.  Fat Thor was greatness.... for about 3 scenes but to have it over and over, what they did to his character ended up being sad really.  I didn't mind grey Hulk so much although we then never get true Hulk in any part of the IW movies.  The Russo's seemed to really struggle with what to do with Thor and Hulk, as they had to make them almost impotent in a way, which did disservices to their characters.  I think after Cap, then actually do a really good job with Clint and Nebula.  GotG cast felt quickly incorporated and the new Avengers didn't get a lot of face time, but that's okay.  The movie was funny and in some parts, actually a little corny, which may not have jibed with the first section.  I'm going to see it again next week with another group and maybe I'll love it then, but first gut reaction is.... good movie, but man, it could have been great.  

• Like 1