I saw Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Parliament

9 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I thought it was pretty funny that people just apparently went along with their lives after the mass die off.

Did the President get on tv (assuming he didn’t also die) and have to explain to the American people that a purple space alien with a scrotum for a chin killed off half the life in the universe by snapping his fingers?  That’s a tough scene. 

i thought the opposite.  when they showed citi field, then how the streets looked, then cap's little group therapy session, i was thinking it looked like 90% of the people were gone by the way the cities looked/people acted.  a guy told a story about a first date that ended up with both of them crying during dinner.  didn't seem like people went along with their lives at all.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:36 AM, TrashMaster G said:

I don’t understand technology and I have no idea how to get rid of this quote....

6 hours ago, The People’s Elbow said:

I’m not familiar with this arc. Does he get Steve’s superhuman powers (speed, strength, reflexes, etc)? If not, isn’t he just a mostly normal dude,  albeit with some light superhuman avian abilities, who happens to have a vibranium shield? 

Kind of along then lines of Spiderverse - anyone can be a super hero.  Anyone can be Captain America. It’s about the attitude and the heart. 

6 hours ago, Kermit said:

I don’t understand the time travel aspect. I know they’ve laid out the rules, but there’s just too much going on. Overall it was extremely enjoyable, but how was Tony’s gauntlet able to hold the stones when a bunch of giant dwarves died for the other, more magical version? Eh, best not think to much about it I guess. 

Tony figured out fucking time travel.  He’s one of the greatest minds in the Galaxy.  

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Whelmed. Don’t know what to think of it.

Really liked killing Thanos at the beginning. Really like the past Thanos finding out about the future. Liked Thor joining the Guardians.

The final battle was unnecessary and just fan service. Sam as Captain is stupid. Gray Hulk is predictable and as a result, boring.

I’m seeing it tomorrow again. Hopefully my opinion improves.

I have to say, I was completely thrown for a loop when they killed him at the beginning. Not how I expected that to go down. Didn’t expect alternate universe Thanos

13 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I thought it was pretty funny that people just apparently went along with their lives after the mass die off.

Did the President get on tv (assuming he didn’t also die) and have to explain to the American people that a purple space alien with a scrotum for a chin killed off half the life in the universe by snapping his fingers?  That’s a tough scene. 

So you suck shit in the GOT thread and you’re even worse here.  Did you watch the movie?  People weren’t carrying on like nothing happened even after five years

On 4/26/2019 at 8:40 AM, Huckleberry said:

I thought it was a very good movie from a storytelling perspective. My complaints about it originate more from Infinity War and the very decision to incorporate time traveling into the storyline. Some may consider avoiding that to be awkward considering there's a time stone but then they went and gave the Avengers time traveling ability without the need for the time stone. Given that you are going to have plot holes and storyline issues when you introduce time travel they did reasonably well with that around their necks.

I hated what they did with Hulk the last two films he appeared in and I guess the Gray Hulk sort of character was the best possible resolution to his punking out the last two films. I will miss the rage monster but that's personal preference. Rage monster Hulk is best Hulk.

The first Avengers film is still the best, but a lot of that is probably that it was the first time seeing so many superheros on screen together and how well they pulled that off. This movie was an outstanding resolution to the Infinity Saga. I do think some of the comedy bits were overdone as they've tended to do lately, such as Thor being fat. Completely unnecessary, he could have been brooding and despondent without the ice cream and salad jokes. But overall really good.

Yea because there wasn’t enough brooding from the other characters 

On 4/26/2019 at 12:01 PM, PilotsError said:

I don't know where they go from here.  They'll never to Thanos.  This felt like a series finale.  Are we going to watch Ant Man battle some local scientist?  Prequels?  Meh.   I don't think they can top this.

Lots of dust in the theater when Tony died and the minutes after it.  Very disappointed with management for keeping the place so dirty.

Yea.   That was a pretty sad moment 

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i thought the opposite.  when they showed citi field, then how the streets looked, then cap's little group therapy session, i was thinking it looked like 90% of the people were gone by the way the cities looked/people acted.  a guy told a story about a first date that ended up with both of them crying during dinner.  didn't seem like people went along with their lives at all.

But life was going on in patterns similar to that before the snapping.  The government was functional, no obvious issues with resource shortages or other serious disturbances to the operation of society.  People were pretty mopey though. 

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

Five years later. Life goes on.

My question is this: how much drama was there when they all came BACK? Lotsa people remarried. Lotsa estates settled.

This is what I thought they did really poorly -- is deal with the aftermath.  For those of us who watched 'The Leftovers', all the worlds where magically half the population vanished would be in somewhat disarray, can you imagine them just showing back up 5 years later without any aging or memory of the last 5 years?  If somehow half the living creatures disappeared instantly, what would that do to an ecosystem?  If that ecosystem could overcome such a jolt, what would happen if they suddenly came back 5 years later?  The solution was so glossed over or is this reintroduction going to be the dominant theme for the next series of movies on Earth?  I would think the world would be fucking chaos.  Now multiply this by thousand if not millions.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is what I thought they did really poorly -- is deal with the aftermath.  For those of us who watched 'The Leftovers', all the worlds where magically half the population vanished would be in somewhat disarray, can you imagine them just showing back up 5 years later without any aging or memory of the last 5 years?  If somehow half the living creatures disappeared instantly, what would that do to an ecosystem?  If that ecosystem could overcome such a jolt, what would happen if they suddenly came back 5 years later?  The solution was so glossed over or is this reintroduction going to be the dominant theme for the next series of movies on Earth?  I would think the world would be fucking chaos.  Now multiply this by thousand if not millions.

You must of enjoyed all the trade and politics talk in the SW prequels...  While the plot of a movie dealing with trying to survive if the population suddenly doubled, that's not a Marvel superhero movie.  

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

So the hammering at the end - Tony in the cave in Afghanistan?

yes

44 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

But life was going on in patterns similar to that before the snapping.  The government was functional, no obvious issues with resource shortages or other serious disturbances to the operation of society.  People were pretty mopey though. 

As mentioned above, people were clearly in therapy.  Cities were empty.  Antman went home and there is trash and broken down cars all over his street.  And then there is all the violence that clint is running around and acting as judge/jury/executioner to stop.

Just now, UT_OB1 said:

You must of enjoyed all the trade and politics talk in the SW prequels...  While the plot of a movie dealing with trying to survive if the population suddenly doubled, that's not a Marvel superhero movie.  

yes

As mentioned above, people were clearly in therapy.  Cities were empty.  Antman went home and there is trash and broken down cars all over his street.  And then there is all the violence that clint is running around and acting as judge/jury/executioner to stop.

Don't be intentionally obtuse.  No one was expecting nor wanting the outcome to be the basis of the movie, but to paint it with such a happy ending didn't ring true either..... There should have been a scene showing and setting up all the work to do with the next team of Avengers.

No offense, but you're a bit fucked in the head man.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Don't be intentionally obtuse.  No one was expecting nor wanting the outcome to be the basis of the movie, but to paint it with such a happy ending didn't ring true either..... There should have been a scene showing and setting up all the work to do with the next team of Avengers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

yes

You think people would be whining about their dates five years after an event of that magnitude? Laughable. 

Movie was great, any Marvel fan should be happy with it. Anyone nitpicking time travel plot holes really needs to get a fucking clue. This is a comic book movie, not a Ken Burns documentary. Try to remember how things were before you were an adult, and you just enjoyed things for what they were, and not what you thought they should be. It's fun movie, with tons of great scenes, just sit back, relax and enjoy it, it's the culmination of a decade of movies into an epic resolution for an incredibly powerful villain. If you can't do that, at least remember this:

Image result for i have a bow and arrow none of this makes sense

As soon as this hits blue ray, i'm taking a snapshot of that image of Cap vs Thanos army and making that my computer background. That was an awesome moment. Hell if i can find that on a poster, I'll buy it. 

• Like 2

It seems relatively obvious that five years after half the world was murdered people would still be grief-stricken.

I'm just not sure why when the Avengers snapped everyone back into existence they didn't reset time as well. Because Tony Stark had a daughter?

When CA took all six stones to return to their timelines, how did he do that without coming back to the platform before each trip? They could only return to the present where they could set their destination. They couldn’t hop from one time to another. Also, old man CA would’ve had to appear on the platform. He couldn’t just wait and show up like he did since the rules established that time travel created a new parallel timeline.

Also, what’s to stop Thanos in the 6 other timelines from snapping everything out of existence? Seems like the long game would be to kill him and destroy the stones in every time line.

Endgame may be Marvel’s The Last Jedi.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When CA took all six stones to return to their timelines, how did he do that without coming back to the platform before each trip? They could only return to the present where they could set their destination. They couldn’t hop from one time to another.

Cap and Tony went from 2012 New York to 1970s New Jersey directly. They didn’t go back and reset. It literally happened in front of you. 

8 hours ago, Fozzz said:

You think people would be whining about their dates five years after an event of that magnitude? Laughable. 

People can mourn the deaths of their spouses beyond five years.  Yes

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Movie was great, any Marvel fan should be happy with it. Anyone nitpicking time travel plot holes really needs to get a fucking clue. This is a comic book movie, not a Ken Burns documentary. Try to remember how things were before you were an adult, and you just enjoyed things for what they were, and not what you thought they should be. It's fun movie, with tons of great scenes, just sit back, relax and enjoy it, it's the culmination of a decade of movies into an epic resolution for an incredibly powerful villain. If you can't do that, at least remember this:

Image result for i have a bow and arrow none of this makes sense

As soon as this hits blue ray, i'm taking a snapshot of that image of Cap vs Thanos army and making that my computer background. That was an awesome moment. Hell if i can find that on a poster, I'll buy it. 

Same crowd that’s questioning how gendry can run so fast in the snow on a show with dragons. 

One thing pointed out in articles I've seen where people have an issue with the time travel possibly affecting those timelines is this actually opens the window for the Marvel properties to be merged like adding the X-Men and introducing other time hopping villains like Kang the Conqueror. 

And yeah, you can plot hole it to death if you wanted but it's a comic book movie and Marvel has a pretty good history of saying multiple universes exist. Into the Spiderverse also introduced that concept. 

I think going forward, Marvel may not even bother with trying to do a big Avengers type movie. They'll just do smaller somewhat interconnected sequels and origin stories. They've already shown the way they probably will do things with Asguardians of the Galaxy + possibly adding Capt Marvel. The old Avengers will be on Disney+ like Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Cap Falcon & Bucky. And Loki with the Tesseract is already in the planning stages. Given they don't have much on the docket right now, I doubt we see another big team movie until 2025 or 2026. The only movie in the can right now is Spiderman: Far From Home. The Eternals is in the planning stages. They've hired a director for Shang-Chi. The Black Widow prequel will be a stand alone. In a couple years we'll get Black Panther and Dr Strange sequels. Guardians 3 is a good 3-4 years out. 

I was actually a little sad after watching it a 2nd time because there's not going to be another run quite like those first 10 years. But man, what a fun ride. 

I enjoyed 95% of it but felt like there were some lost opportunities. I wanted the Hulk to get his rematch and feel like he was completely mishandled in this movie. I get the beginning of Infinity War. They didn't want to be formulaic with Banner Hulking out and saving the day every time, so they made Hulk burnt out and tired of being Banner's puppet. But if you are going to do Prof. Hulk and throw in the line about "best of both worlds," show the Hulk, too, not just Banner. Barton could have been worried about how Nat's death would affect Banner and withheld the permanence until they un-snap and have Banner look for her on the field. She doesn't show up with the rest, Barton fesses up, then we get 5 minutes or so of smashing.

Once Ant-Man didn't die from the almost direct hit from the missile while he wasn't suited up, I immediately lost any sense of danger for most of the characters. "Guys, I think it worked." Missile to the face while he wasn't suited up and he lived. I feel like killing him there, in that way, would have set the tone that this battle really was for keeps. Having Black Widow, Vision, Gamora, and then giving Stark the hero's departure wasn't the body count I was expecting and felt that it was lacking. Gotta be honest here in saying the GRRM and Game of Thrones spoiled us with what it means to kill off main characters. When a world is created where the stakes are just as high for the main cast as it is for the "Red Shirts," it makes for some exciting sequences. Killing Ant-Man short and sweet, no music change, no lead-up, no goodbye scene, sudden, permanent death would have made that last even more intense. Circling back to my point about the Hulk, they didn't need Ant-Man to bust them out of the flooding basement. The Hulk was down there and concrete and rebar is no problem for him. 

It had the right amount of fan service, I think. There might be some eye-rolling over some of the girl power stuff, but comic books, superheroes, and nerd culture in general is so vastly different than what it was when the bulk of us grew up with it. It's also important to remember that the historical audience of the comics were mostly boys who were not really socially popular, athletic, or accepted. Male superheroes empowered them. The movies have expanded that audience to the point where women are no longer a niche section of the fandom. There are a bunch of girls out there who are not really socially popular, athletic, or accepted. So a bunch of female superheroes lined up and posed while the camera circled around them and dramatic music played. It happens for the male superheroes every damn movie. If it didn't pump you up, that's okay. It pumped a lot of young girls up.

It didn't top Infinity War, but it was still a great ending to a decade of stories.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bookman said:

It seems relatively obvious that five years after half the world was murdered people would still be grief-stricken.

I'm just not sure why when the Avengers snapped everyone back into existence they didn't reset time as well. Because Tony Stark had a daughter?

They did explain that it would big mistake to change history, everything had to go on as it was. It wasn't "just because Tony Stark had a daughter". They had to snap all back to the current moment.

2 hours ago, fellside said:

So in the next Spiderman movie, did all the kids come back from being Thanos dust or are some of them going to be awkward friends 5 years older still showing up to parties and offering to buy beer?

They show Peter Parker showing back up to school and meeting his old friend from the Movies. I couldn't really tell if they kid aged 5 more years other than he appeared a bit fatter, but I would imagine this to be the case.

The only had 2 lingering questions at the end, but I thought it was a great movie:

1) In the funeral scene, they moved through the different groups of people, resting on some for a bit before moving onto the next. Near the back, was some kid standing alone near the back (before Captain Marvel). Anyone know who that kid was supposed to be?

2) When all the portals opened up and people started marching through, there was clearly Wakandans, Monks, and Asgardians. Where did all those Asgardians come from? I thought they all died off in Ragnarok?

1. Kid was from Iron Man 3, as stated earlier in this thread.

2. Many of the Asgardians had gotten away from Thanos, half of those were snapped away. Those that showed up were a combination of those that got away and those that had settled in New Asgard

Edited by Lone Star Horn

3 hours ago, fellside said:

So in the next Spiderman movie, did all the kids come back from being Thanos dust or are some of them going to be awkward friends 5 years older still showing up to parties and offering to buy beer?

The new Spiderman takes place "minutes after" Endgame and it appears all the major players were part of the snap Vanishing.  So conveniently, Flash, Ned, MJ, Aunt May, etc all vanished and will have no aging effects.  What they may do is have someone like Liz Toomes (his love interest) age up as she's not significant to future stories and it's an easy way to kind of shuffle her off and give her character an arc.  

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Conveniently, all the kids featured in that new Spiderman movie all just happened to lose the dusting lottery. 

Pretty much.

anigif_sub-buzz-2923-1525141645-1.gif?downsize=700:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

This post and the others like it are exactly why Marvel movies are consistently overrated and the good DC movies are underrated. Marvel was first-to-market with the modern superhero movies.

Literally nothing can be questioned in a Marvel movie or you just don't get it while any little issue in a DC movie is mocked endlessly. Don't get me wrong, the Marvel movies have been consistently better than the DC ones but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.

Marvel fans literally use one of their characters pointing out that nothing in their movies makes sense as a positive thing. It's pretty funny, to be honest.
  • Like 2

Enjoyed endgame but loved infinity war. Part of the problem is the best heros are only in the movie for 20 minutes. 

Agree that it felt shorter than 3 hrs. I checked the time after resnappening and was shocked there was 15 minutes left when I was expecting another hour. 

10 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If it hits $1 billion, is that not enough to put the band back together in 3 or 4 years for another movie?

It already grossed 1.2 billion (est) this weekend (opened all at once).  A billion was assured, no Avengers movie hasn't grossed a billion.  If you're talking domestic, then you're probably talking close to 2.25 billion globally.  The issue is age and cost though.  RDJ would be close to 60 and how much would it take to coax back Evans?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If it hits $1 billion, is that not enough to put the band back together in 3 or 4 years for another movie?

I don't think there is much gas left in the tank for the original crew. A lot of compression shirts and layers to cover up that the guys aren't holding on to their super hero bodies like they used to. Evans and Hemsworth are getting close to a decade of trying to keep that same size they had at the beginning. That's a lot of wear and tear from exercise and the accompanying gear that they have to use to look like that.

Most of them have, yes. And I'm not a DC guy. Comic books are comic books to me.

But Wonder Woman was a good movie and was much better than a handful of Marvel movies it's rated worse than on sites. Justice League was not nearly as good as Avengers but it certainly wasn't as far behind Age of Ultron as you'd think from fan reviews. That's all I'm saying. Good things can be overrated and bad things can be underrated.

• Like 1

Saw it yesterday at the Bob Bullock.  It was fucking fantastic.  I might have teared up 5 or 10 times throughout the movie.  I was very concerned that Hollywood would fuck it up, but it really did hit all the right notes of ending and transitioning things properly.  When the portal opened up with the “on your left” and Black Panther & co. stepped thru, some guy at the back yelled “Wakanda Forever!”  And the audience just roared back in response.  It was surreal.

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

I don't think there is much gas left in the tank for the original crew. A lot of compression shirts and layers to cover up that the guys aren't holding on to their super hero bodies like they used to. Evans and Hemsworth are getting close to a decade of trying to keep that same size they had at the beginning. That's a lot of wear and tear from exercise and the accompanying gear that they have to use to look like that.

They’re only in their mid thirties man. I’m nearly there and bigger/ stronger than I was a decade earlier. I mean I don’t think they’re coming back of course, but “wear and tear” from simple exercise? Come on.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Most of them have, yes. And I'm not a DC guy. Comic books are comic books to me.

But Wonder Woman was a good movie and was much better than a handful of Marvel movies it's rated worse than on sites. Justice League was not nearly as good as Avengers but it certainly wasn't as far behind Age of Ultron as you'd think from fan reviews. That's all I'm saying. Good things can be overrated and bad things can be underrated.

I thought WW was great up until the last 15 minutes. Still very solid.

9 minutes ago, LTbear said:

They’re only in their mid thirties man. I’m nearly there and bigger/ stronger than I was a decade earlier. I mean I don’t think they’re coming back of course, but “wear and tear” from simple exercise? Come on.

Have a contractual obligation to stay in shape and work out for 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, 8 months out of every year for almost 10 years while cycling gear then come back to me with the "simple exercise" clip.

13 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Have a contractual obligation to stay in shape and work out for 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, 8 months out of every year for almost 10 years while cycling gear then come back to me with the "simple exercise" clip.

If they had to work out 4 hours a day 6 days a week to get into the shape they had in the movies, then they had absolute shit trainers and nutritionists. I find it hard to believe they couldn’t afford better.

4 minutes ago, LTbear said:

If they had to work out 4 hours a day 6 days a week to get into the shape they had in the movies, then they had absolute shit trainers and nutritionists. I find it hard to believe they couldn’t afford better.

Ok, bud. You win.