I saw Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Parliament

"We talk to him for almost every film we make. We talk to Keanu Reeves about. I don't know when, if, or ever he'll join the MCU, but we very much want to figure out the right way to do it."

Well this is awesome. Marvel loves Keanu Reeves as much as we do and it really wants him to join the Marvel family. But as Kevin Feige told Comicbook.com, he wants to do it right. Feige compared Marvel's interest in Reeves to Jake Gyllenhaal, who Feige said he talked to "multiple times" before Mysterio in "Spider-Man: Far From Home" became the perfect fit for him.

This isn't the first time we've heard of Keanu Reeves' attachment to the MCU. He reportedly was up for the role of Yon-Rogg in "Captain Marvel" until scheduling conflicts with "John Wick 3" lead him to drop out and Jude Law to take on the role.

Rumors of Keanu Reeves' potential casting in "The Eternals" alongside Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden and Kumail Nanjiani also surfaced a couple weeks ago, and he has been vocal about his interest in playing the next Wolverine. Kevin Feige's comments certainly make his involvement in "The Eternals" more of a solid possibility now! That is, if Reeves can pencil it in between his other upcoming projects.

sooon.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i've had this movie for a couple of months and finally saw it again for the 2nd time.  holy shit, 2nd viewing makes this thing seem almost damn perfect.  the dialogue, the sacrifices are much more emotional knowing what's going to happen.  incredible movie.

i can't help to compare marvel to the GOT.  it was absolutely incredible what marvel did with 20+ films in 10 years, how it wrapped up those 10 years with an amazing finale.  and then you have the shitshow that was the ending of GOT.  what could've been if that had been left with capable hands who gave a shit.

anyway, highly recommend watching a this movie a second time.  it is damn near perfect.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ha. finally saw it.

watched iw & eg as double feature last night.

very little miss sunshine. boring as shit then the payoff. excellent. super freaky!

excellent time travel mumbo jumbo. of course this is to be expected from DISNEY as they have been using teleportation and time travel for decades. they have to have had it because there is only ONE Mickey Mouse.

Somehow I missed the part where Neville Longbottom whacks Nagani to cause Thanos to fucking snuff it. Have to watch again.

Where did the pegasus come from?

Why UCF, duh. CHARGE ON!

one other thing, why all the goofy ass speculation as to what the title of this movie was gonna be. Khan Noonien Singh told us what the title was near the of IW. and of course when he said what he said IW was immediately over and EG started. that means that EG holds the record for longest intermission in a movie. lets go out to the lobby lets go out to the lobby lets go out to the lobby and snort a bag of meth.

complaints...

1. not enough musical numbers

2. the babes were not nekkid

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

So I have re-watched almost the entire MCU/Infinity saga over the past three months.  Seeing them all in fairly quick succession left me with this lingering thought:  I can’t believe the entire story hinged on a rat randomly scurrying across a control pad.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Great. ReWatched all of MCU in chronological order over covid. Infinity war tonight with EndGame as my Sunday night wrap-up and now all I’ll be thinking about is Lang’s release from the quantum realm is bullshit.

Did the same, watching Spider-Man far from home next time I find it.

The next lot of films are pretty meh until Spider-Man 3, Thor 4 and Dr Strange 2 which aren’t scheduled to release until Nov 2021-Mar2022.

GOTG3 and Antman3 won’t come out until at least Fall 2022.

LOL @ hinging on the rat. All time travel plots have holes, so I enjoy it for the story. That being said, the writers/directors and nerdy fan bois were very in your face defensive about why their interpretation of traveling to the past was correct. They kept repeating that going to the past is an alternate reality and doesn’t change your future...then they end with Cap going to the past and ends up in their present. If the Cap line was accurate, then why not go back and kill baby Thanos like Roady or whoever suggested? Whatever it was a great and entertaining series. 

My post was very tongue in check. I’ve discussed rat “plot hole” with a slightly inebriated cousin who’s a comic nerd.

An elite force of international planet saving peace keepers includes a human converted Russian spy with some billy clubs and a regular dude with a bow and arrow. Their leader is a hundred years old and has access to all sorts of tech, but uses a plain handheld shield.

For some reason an old super Nazi guards an old orange stone on not his home planet that does...something, and somehow knows when a sacrifice of life is made, cause reasons? Who was guarding the soul stone before the 1940s?

In IW a hidden civilization with advanced weapons and a giant force field protecting a stone that could very well destroy half the universe decides to lower their shield so as to not be “surrounded” and leaves their disciplined phalanx to charge head first and unorganized into the now created opening with super tech, oh no wait they use spears.

Thor, Hulk, IronMan have a constantly changing power scales. (Why doesn’t Thor just lightening strike every lower minion every time?)

And the biggest plot hole of all; In at least one multiverse, the audience sees as the main one, an Eternal Titan has both the reality and time stone. That’s game over. He can snap fingers back to where he gets the green rock and run one of the millions of iterations where he wins...But then Dr Strange could just go to a loop before with the stone...cause time travel

All that being said turn off your brain a little and enjoy the fun. They’re comic book movies not advanced fiction.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

My post was very tongue in check. I’ve discussed rat “plot hole” with a slightly inebriated cousin who’s a comic nerd.

An elite force of international planet saving peace keepers includes a human converted Russian spy with some billy clubs and a regular dude with a bow and arrow. Their leader is a hundred years old and has access to all sorts of tech, but uses a plain handheld shield.

For some reason an old super Nazi guards an old orange stone on not his home planet that does...something, and somehow knows when a sacrifice of life is made, cause reasons? Who was guarding the soul stone before the 1940s?

In IW a hidden civilization with advanced weapons and a giant force field protecting a stone that could very well destroy half the universe decides to lower their shield so as to not be “surrounded” and leaves their disciplined phalanx to charge head first and unorganized into the now created opening with super tech, oh no wait they use spears.

Thor, Hulk, IronMan have a constantly changing power scales. (Why doesn’t Thor just lightening strike every lower minion every time?)

And the biggest plot hole of all; In at least one multiverse, the audience sees as the main one, an Eternal Titan has both the reality and time stone. That’s game over. He can snap fingers back to where he gets the green rock and run one of the millions of iterations where he wins...But then Dr Strange could just go to a loop before with the stone...cause time travel

All that being said turn off your brain a little and enjoy the fun. They’re comic book movies not advanced fiction.

The biggest head-scratcher is that we never got to see Black Widow’s tits. Not once.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

LOL @ hinging on the rat. All time travel plots have holes, so I enjoy it for the story. That being said, the writers/directors and nerdy fan bois were very in your face defensive about why their interpretation of traveling to the past was correct. They kept repeating that going to the past is an alternate reality and doesn’t change your future...then they end with Cap going to the past and ends up in their present. If the Cap line was accurate, then why not go back and kill baby Thanos like Roady or whoever suggested? Whatever it was a great and entertaining series. 

Writers said Cap lives in the alternate timeline from the 40’s until Peggy died (2016 if its the same as this timeline) and then traveled back to his original timeline to give Sam the shield from his alternate timeline (because Thanos destroyed his).

In addition to “old cap” people are focusing on the 2012 timeline with Loki and the Tesseract though again you could explain that away Cap could have hunted him down and “fixed” that to a degree (except it seems obvious the MCU is going to use that string for something else).

But what doesn’t get pointed out much is how badly the Avengers fucked up the 2014 timeline by knocking out Quill and having that timelines Thanos and Nebula die plus Gamora is now missing in our timeline.  As a result the 2014 Guardians don’t get together since Ronan was never sent for the Stone of Power by Thanos.  So even if Cap puts it back Quill may not have hung around to get it.  It’s conceivable that he did and then Rocket and Groot collected the bounty on him but without a Gamora/Ronan involved it will be completely different and Drax would still be in jail and original Groot would still be alive.  Also no Thanos means no IW/EG in that timeline so that has wide ranging implications too (Ironman, Cap, Black Widow, Smart Hulk, time travel).

This reminds me of a Star Trek question that a lot of people ask: "Why not just go warp 9.9 all the time?"

Iron Man and Thor are powerful, but not endless tanks of energy. You're essentially asking why don't they just "redline" it from opening crawl to end credits. As for Hulk, the writers admitted that Hulk presents the Superman problem where if you write him with the full extent of his abilities, there's no conflict and no danger. They purposefully took him out of Infinity War for that reason, then introduced Prof. Hulk to prevent it from being a question in End Game.

12 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

But what doesn’t get pointed out much is how badly the Avengers fucked up the 2014 timeline by knocking out Quill and having that timelines Thanos and Nebula die plus Gamora is now missing in our timeline.  As a result the 2014 Guardians don’t get together since Ronan was never sent for the Stone of Power by Thanos.  So even if Cap puts it back Quill may not have hung around to get it.  It’s conceivable that he did and then Rocket and Groot collected the bounty on him but without a Gamora/Ronan involved it will be completely different and Drax would still be in jail and original Groot would still be alive.  Also no Thanos means no IW/EG in that timeline so that has wide ranging implications too (Ironman, Cap, Black Widow, Smart Hulk, time travel).

The 2014 Thanos and company that died in Endgame are from the alternate 2014 timeline after the power stone was grabbed.  All Cap has to do is return the stone to the moment before Quill shows up and all is OK with the original timeline.  

The alt-2012 timeline that now exists does present a problem, though.  In the original timeline, Loki goes to prison on Asgard and the space stone goes into Odin’s vault.  Loki gets freed in Dark World, grabs the Space Stone during Asgard’s destruction in Ragnarok, and has it taken from him by Thanos in IW.  Unless Loki somehow volunteers to go to prison on Asgard and give up the space stone to Odin in the alt-2012 timeline, the events of Dark World, Ragnarok, IW, and Endgame don’t happen.  We have to assume that someone goes back and fixes this Loki problem in the alt-2012 timeline.  This thread needs to get tied up as the MCU continues.

This reminds me of a Star Trek question that a lot of people ask: "Why not just go warp 9.9 all the time?"

Iron Man and Thor are powerful, but not endless tanks of energy. You're essentially asking why don't they just "redline" it from opening crawl to end credits. As for Hulk, the writers admitted that Hulk presents the Superman problem where if you write him with the full extent of his abilities, there's no conflict and no danger. They purposefully took him out of Infinity War for that reason, then introduced Prof. Hulk to prevent it from being a question in End Game.

Agreed, but I see the same writing issues with all superheroes not just specific to MCU & Hulk:
Thor/Mar-Vel/Superman/Jean Gray/etc Fight lower level lackeys hand to hand until almost overwhelmed. Ohnoes will our hero make it?!? Uses powers to Insta-kill hundreds of evil minions. Need the drama and conflict so there can be a resolution.

After the chronological rewatch the one MCU writing thing that did kind of bother me more than standard superhero and time travel nit picky stuff was the start of EG. Maybe it’s because I need to rewatch The Leftovers, but 5 years after 50% extension event there are still abandoned vessels around the Statue of Liberty and not only have the Mets not played an inning, but the parking lot is a disaster area for some reason.

We see Lang walk through SanFran streets where every house is in disrepair and there are way more than 50% of abandoned vehicles, but somehow the vanished are perfectly censused and documented in a pristine monument park? Cap is leading group therapy where Russo nor his date can make it through a dinner date without crying 5 years later? Banner has merged with the Hulk and is gleefully taking selfies with fans? Which is it? The writers didn’t have the experience to be living through a global pandemic and shutdown, but 5 years seems more than enough time to get our shit together, get 50% of property rights sorted out, and return to a “new normal.” The therapy scene was a good way to show the hopelessness of the population, but just don’t think they married the normal day to day with dystopia post-snap-world well (obviously easier said than done in a movie already clocking in at 3hrs)

• Like 1

All the hoops you jump through to make time travel work, shows why it never does in a movie.  There was a Dean Koontz book that handled time travel well, you could only go forward in time so no paradox was created with your existence in an earlier timeline. That seemed like a good simple way to handle it...at least when I was like 17 when I read the book.

Yeah they can write Thor’s powers down by continually showing his self-doubt that creeps in. Kinda like the lantern Corp in DC, the rings are the most powerful tool in the galaxy and are only limited by Will, Envy, Hate, Love etc so you can make the hero weaker and stronger as you need.

Even Superman can have minor problems if every villain can find some kryptonite...

Hulk continues to get more powerful through rage and adrenaline. Hulk can adapt to lack of oxygen, food water etc. basically he’s Superman with no real weakness.

Mind control has occasional slowed him down, silver surfer fought to a stalemate but eventually hulk woulda raged bad enough to win that.

It’s all about trying to calm him down but you can’t really kill him which present problems unless you write him out of the “main” story of a movie

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

The 2014 Thanos and company that died in Endgame are from the alternate 2014 timeline after the power stone was grabbed.

Yes.

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

All Cap has to do is return the stone to the moment before Quill shows up and all is OK with the original timeline.  

Nope.

War Machine knocked Quill out and stole his thieving tool.  And 2019 Nebula under Thanos remote control hung around for an indeterminate amount of time before getting picked up by his ship.  Cap can’t go back and put the stone back before WM/Nebula take it, because that would be a different reality and that stone would still be there, so that reality would have two power stones.  You would have to put it back after to preserve that timeline.  After Quill got knocked out, after WM/Nebula got the stone, and presumably after Thanos/crew jumped to the 2019 timeline (to avoid running into them).

But again even if somehow that gets solved and Cap puts the Stone back and somehow is able to get Quill to go get it, he won’t run into Ronan’s goons because Thanos never sent them.  Then he would sell the stone without incident.  It’s possible he still meets up with Rocket/Groot if he has the bounty on his head but unlikely they team up with Drax (since he was interested in a Gamora/Ronan), deal with the Collector (since that was Gamora’s contact), and have the big battle/dance off with Ronan (see above); and impossible to team up with Gamora since she’s in the 2019 timeline.

No 2014 Gamora, no 2014 Thanos, and no 2014 Nebula in the 2014 timeline wrecks it.  No (or very different) GOTG1/2 No IW/EG, and no resulting deaths.

And now I’ve hit my nerd quota for the week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yes.

Nope.

War Machine knocked Quill out and stole his thieving tool.  And 2019 Nebula under Thanos remote control hung around for an indeterminate amount of time before getting picked up by his ship.  Cap can’t go back and put the stone back before WM/Nebula take it, because that would be a different reality and that stone would still be there, so that reality would have two power stones.  You would have to put it back after to preserve that timeline.  After Quill got knocked out, after WM/Nebula got the stone, and presumably after Thanos/crew jumped to the 2019 timeline (to avoid running into them).

But again even if somehow that gets solved and Cap puts the Stone back and somehow is able to get Quill to go get it, he won’t run into Ronan’s goons because Thanos never sent them.  Then he would sell the stone without incident.  It’s possible he still meets up with Rocket/Groot if he has the bounty on his head but unlikely they team up with Drax (since he was interested in a Gamora/Ronan), deal with the Collector (since that was Gamora’s contact), and have the big battle/dance off with Ronan (see above); and impossible to team up with Gamora since she’s in the 2019 timeline.

No 2014 Gamora, no 2014 Thanos, and no 2014 Nebula in the 2014 timeline wrecks it.  No (or very different) GOTG1/2 No IW/EG, and no resulting deaths.

Wouldn’t Cap going to that timeline and placing the stone back in it at any point after it was taken cause a new time line to split off at that point?  

What if instead Cap went back to just before WM/Nebula stop Quill and instead give his stone to them?  (Yes, time loop paradox shenanigans)

On 6/8/2020 at 2:49 PM, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah they can write Thor’s powers down by continually showing his self-doubt that creeps in. Kinda like the lantern Corp in DC, the rings are the most powerful tool in the galaxy and are only limited by Will, Envy, Hate, Love etc so you can make the hero weaker and stronger as you need.

Even Superman can have minor problems if every villain can find some kryptonite...

Hulk continues to get more powerful through rage and adrenaline. Hulk can adapt to lack of oxygen, food water etc. basically he’s Superman with no real weakness.

Mind control has occasional slowed him down, silver surfer fought to a stalemate but eventually hulk woulda raged bad enough to win that.

It’s all about trying to calm him down but you can’t really kill him which present problems unless you write him out of the “main” story of a movie

They basically pussed out on Thor in Endgame and made him impotent in a real silly way like they did to Hulk because it was the only way to center the story on the Cap/Stark hero arc and second, because they wanted Captain Marvel to have a moment.  Both of their treatments are the worst parts of IW/EG as they're sort of cop outs.  Hulk has died many times in the comics, including at the hands of Thor, so no, he's not more powerful or indestructible than someone like Superman or even some characters in Marvel.  You basically just have to de-capitate him as Banner or as Hulk.  A huge challenge?  Surely, but not more powerful than some in the universe (maybe the same or little less so).  Shit, Wolverine killed him in one arc.....as old man Logan, and Wolverine is more a survivor, lone wolf character than all powerful.  Regardless, I really didn't like what they did to those two characters especially in exchange for Captain Marvel.... but it's done.  Hopefully those characters can live on in the MCU and be cool again.

22 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Wouldn’t Cap going to that timeline and placing the stone back in it at any point after it was taken cause a new time line to split off at that point?  

What if instead Cap went back to just before WM/Nebula stop Quill and instead give his stone to them?  (Yes, time loop paradox shenanigans)

I mean for arguments sake by going back he’s trying to correct that timeline (that they fucked up thanks to their time travel shenanigans in the first place) but as I pointed out it’s literally impossible to correct that timeline now so yes this timeline/reality is going to split off from the main storyline we know.

Yep that would be a paradox, if it was going to happen it would have already happened before they did it the first time.  Apparently we can’t base our time travel knowledge on the linear Back to the Future theory in this universe since they are using the multiverse/alternate reality theory.

Edited by TKthunder2

Did the same, watching Spider-Man far from home next time I find it.
The next lot of films are pretty meh until Spider-Man 3, Thor 4 and Dr Strange 2 which aren’t scheduled to release until Nov 2021-Mar2022.
GOTG3 and Antman3 won’t come out until at least Fall 2022.

And they are all behind due to C19

On 6/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Yes.

Nope.

I like it.  I'm going with the stance that returning the stones was the most important objective.  And whatever happened to Quill and the other GoG is irrelevant.  But these other loopholes will then provide great options for the MCU writers to use in upcoming movies.  I would hope most of this gets addressed in the Eternals, Thor Love & War, and GoG 3 (Electric Boogalee?).  In the meantime, I will be keeping my nerd boner on ice for Silver Surfer, Galactus & some form of an Annihilation arc...

On 6/7/2020 at 11:18 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Writers said Cap lives in the alternate timeline from the 40’s until Peggy died (2016 if its the same as this timeline) and then traveled back to his original timeline to give Sam the shield from his alternate timeline (because Thanos destroyed his).

I thought the writers also confirmed that was “Old Cap” serving as a pall bearer for Peggy in their original timeline? Was her funeral in alt-2016 so much fun that he jumped back to his original timeline to attend real-2016 funeral as well...and if so were all of her family like “who the hell is this old man who just showed up assuming to be a pall bearer?”

Just nitpicking bc the writers were shitting all over time travel theories of other movies and saying how they got it right, but their shit has holes in it too. Still love the movie regardless. 

I don’t remember seeing anything about Cap being a pall bearer. 

I assume Doctor Strange 2 is going to address protecting the earth without the time stone, as that is the only thing that saved earth on DS1. 

So Jane is becoming Thor, right?  Is this alternate timeline Jane since mjonir is destroyed?  I’m also not sure how much I like that change this late in the game. Seems odd you’d make that the final outing for Hemsworth and Portman, but maybe they’ll sign on for another stent?