David Pierce Makes Me Big Sad

Yama Yak Yachtzi

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Not sure which left the program worse him or Gus. Both were shitshows for the new guy. Probably Gus based on actual performance.

Its pretty much a tie but I suppose you could say Gus.   Augie was horrible his first 2 years but he had a VERY LONG leash. Pierce has ZERO record in big time NCAA baseball.  his leash should be very short.

Its pretty much a tie but I suppose you could say Gus.   Augie was horrible his first 2 years but he had a VERY LONG leash. Pierce has ZERO record in big time NCAA baseball.  his leash should be very short.

Agreed re leash. I wasn’t sold on DP when he was hired.

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Tulane didn’t make the tournament in 6 years till Pierce got there. Then they made it both years he was there. Eh whatever. With hopefully Hamilton and DJ back, pretty much our whole pitching staff and another year for guys like Ford and Kennedy, hopefully we’re much improved. Now if next year is similiar to this one, then yeah he’s probably not the guy 

I can't believe Hamilton would come back but people keep acting like he will be.  why would he come back?

Talked to a guy who was connected with the program/players earlier this week. He was certain that Pierce wasnt the guy because he cant recruit worth a shit and because he’s never had to build a program before... he’s inherited at least DECENT teams/programs in the past

i actually agree with Enfield on this one

Other than Brandon Belt, and that was a loooong time ago, what Texas position player has made any noise in the show?  From everything I understand, minor league ball is a poor-paying grind.

I don't know why any of these guys would want to go pro early, or even at all, to be honest.  And I don't think even Hamilton projects very well.

Looks like the answer is Cameron Rupp.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Other than Brandon Belt, and that was a loooong time ago, what Texas position player has made any noise in the show?  From everything I understand, minor league ball is a poor-paying grind.

I don't know why any of these guys would want to go pro early, or even at all, to be honest.  And I don't think even Hamilton projects very well.

its just that you have a little bit of leverage when you are a junior.  of course you have to be draftable but there are something like 50 rounds.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

hamilton needed to put on about 30 pounds at least.  the days of bert campaneris and luis aparicio are over.

Just now, dcar00 said:

its just that you have a little bit of leverage when you are a junior.  of course you have to be draftable but there are something like 50 rounds.

I mean it's leverage over a turd.  You can maybe lift it a little higher and get some more maggots or something.  I dunno, maybe a 50k contract is worth something.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean it's leverage over a turd.  You can maybe lift it a little higher and get some more maggots or something.  I dunno, maybe a 50k contract is worth something.

yep.  I suppose if you are close to graduating why not.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Talked to a guy who was connected with the program/players earlier this week. He was certain that Pierce wasnt the guy because he cant recruit worth a shit and because he’s never had to build a program before... he’s inherited at least DECENT teams/programs in the past

That is funny because my concern is just the opposite. I mean we got some decent talent the last few years but he has not developed it much. Will Elder, Kennedy, and Ford be better next year? I am not confident in that. But if he cannot recruit OR develop players then yeah...

45 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

3-13 record over our last 16 games

How did we ever win 3?

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

We need significant improvement next year for Pierce to be the guy.  Simply being "not terrible" isn't going to cut it.  Dicking around in-conference and sneaking into the post-season as a lucky bubble team probably won't cut it either.  Hitting, pitching, fielding all need to improve tremendously, both from this year to next year and as the season goes on next year.   

Unlike basketball, we actually have standards for our baseball program.  This year wiped out  all goodwill from his first two.  

I agree, plus unlike basketball it will not be much of a cost to turn this staff over. 

Just now, Goodman said:

Hopefully not many. Only a few of these starters would I be excited about come opening day. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and Deadpool back but I expect they will be slogging through rookie ball in a few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis and Deadpool back but I expect they will be slogging through rookie ball in a few weeks.

This year's version certainly no big loss.  Not "Texas Good."  Thing I fear is that "Texas Good" is a thing of the past.  It's gonna be Texas-Tech-TCU-OU-OSU good from here on.

Edited by TwiceHorn

we were bound to roll snake eyes after 100 years with 4 coaches.  we need to accept pierce as our transition coach and have CDC go get a guy like the other coaches he's hired.  someone with some damn skins on the wall in a major conference.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we were bound to roll snake eyes after 100 years with 4 coaches.  we need to accept pierce as our transition coach and have CDC go get a guy like the other coaches he's hired.  someone with some damn skins on the wall in a major conference.

Yeah we've had like four once-in-a-lifetime coaches.  I basically blame Dodds for letting the AD become the swollen undeservedly arrogant behemoth that led to Patterson.

22 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

I agree, and I think people are forgetting (or choosing to ignore) how much of last year's trip was due to luck.

Well they also won the Big 12 last year and played really well in the Long Beach regional in 2017.

I don't get the luck bullshit anyway. If Ole Miss was such garbage they let Tennessee Tech beat them, I don't think it was automatic we lose to them.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well they also won the Big 12 last year and played really well in the Long Beach regional in 2017.

I don't get the luck bullshit anyway. If Ole Miss was such garbage they let Tennessee Tech beat them, I don't think it was automatic we lose to them.

Except when you factor in that Pierce is abysmal on the road.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Except when you factor in that Pierce is abysmal on the road.

Except we had just won a road series against top 10 Texas Tech. Did that factor in? Or did you "forget" or "conveniently ignore" that to keep this garbage narrative going?

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Except we had just won a road series against top 10 Texas Tech. Did that factor in? Or did you "forget" or "conveniently ignore" that to keep this garbage narrative going?

wow 1 fucking series, when his overall record is 28-47 away from the Disch. What do you know, after that Sunday win over Tech, he lost the next 4 games away from Disch Falk field. It's amazing the mental gymnastics you are going through right now to cover for a shitty coach.

He has played 17 road series in 3 seasons at Texas, and is 4-12-1 in those series.  He has been swept in 4 series. Also he's 1-5 @KU.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a 40 round draft. Multi-million dollar signing bonuses for the first few rounds, not so much for anyone else. Nowadays most teams draft college seniors in rounds 6-10 & give them $5-10k signing bonuses, in order to save money and sign high school or underclassman college guys for over-slot value in later rounds, sometimes for more than $100k. Minor league ball is brutal in terms of wages, and your odds of making it to the show are super low. I guess the trade-off comes that it's pretty sweet if you do make it. The MLB has what's widely-regarded as the best pension plan of any of the major sports. Guaranteed contracts, and if you spend just one day on an MLB roster you're entitled to the MLB player healthcare plan for the rest of your life. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

That is funny because my concern is just the opposite. I mean we got some decent talent the last few years but he has not developed it much. Will Elder, Kennedy, and Ford be better next year? I am not confident in that. But if he cannot recruit OR develop players then yeah...

How did we ever win 3?

It’s a miracle 

On 5/18/2019 at 2:30 PM, Helobious said:

It's a 40 round draft. Multi-million dollar signing bonuses for the first few rounds, not so much for anyone else. Nowadays most teams draft college seniors in rounds 6-10 & give them $5-10k signing bonuses, in order to save money and sign high school or underclassman college guys for over-slot value in later rounds, sometimes for more than $100k. Minor league ball is brutal in terms of wages, and your odds of making it to the show are super low. I guess the trade-off comes that it's pretty sweet if you do make it. The MLB has what's widely-regarded as the best pension plan of any of the major sports. Guaranteed contracts, and if you spend just one day on an MLB roster you're entitled to the MLB player healthcare plan for the rest of your life. 

Yeah I couldnt remember what kind of contracts the various JAGs that have left early in the last few years get.  I pulled 50k out of my ass.  That's a mediocre starting salary for a college grad, but maybe having any at all is a big plus, and a lot of these guys aren't or won't be college grads in anything meaningful.  And I can certainly get the "dream," but I think the dream gets beaten out of these predominantly white middle class kids more easily than some of the football and basketball players.

It would be interesting and scary to see what would happen if the NFL and NBA drafts went anywhere as deep as MLB (I know they are filling smaller rosters and/or have no farm system so this is impossible, but just think of the delusion indulgence among college football and basketball players if it was that "easy" to get at least an entre to the professional game).

Edited by TwiceHorn

Do we have an interim coach today? 

Oh crap.  I forgot the prior administration signed all of our coaches to these stupid long term contracts with ungodly sums of compensation for having to just show up to work.     And if you show promise, you get an auto extension and even a raise.   Sigh....

I guess one other thing worth taking into account is that, even setting aside delusional dreams of making the show, and the rigors of the minor league, I can see a 20-21-22 year old finding that lifestyle somewhat appealing.  It's a way of prolonging a college-type lifestyle playing a game that maybe you aren't quite ready to give up yet, and there will not be another time in your life where you can live that vagabond lifestyle without pretty major sacrifice.

All that said, though, presumably you could do that after your senior year, also.  Hell, foregoing senior year and your degree, even in physikal kultur und sport, is a fairly major sacrfice.  Do your victory lap after you finish the important stuff.

So I can rationalize entering the draft as a nobody, but I can't really rationalize leaving school to be a 350th pick.  Theres no money, minimal fun, and an infinitesimal chance of making MLB.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I guess one other thing worth taking into account is that, even setting aside delusional dreams of making the show, and the rigors of the minor league, I can see a 20-21-22 year old finding that lifestyle somewhat appealing.  It's a way of prolonging a college-type lifestyle playing a game that maybe you aren't quite ready to give up yet, and there will not be another time in your life where you can live that vagabond lifestyle without pretty major sacrifice.

All that said, though, presumably you could do that after your senior year, also.

The sign on bonus (those who get one)  gets spent quickly after Uncle Sammy gets his share along with the agent.  But yea it can be kind of like military service for recent enlistee  in the sense  you get to see a lot of the country and eat on a McDonald's budget.   If the minor team has good relationship with the community they are based, the kid might get lucky and get to stay at a host home.

I know some kids in minors once the season is over  (I'm old enough to call them kids and they are only a few years older than my oldest) who have to comeback home and work a second job.   Refinery work, substitute teaching, etc.   

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah I couldnt remember what kind of contracts the various JAGs that have left early in the last few years get. 

Just wait. Any day now we'll see Connor Mayes starting for [insert name of MLB team here].  

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

All that said, though, presumably you could do that after your senior year, also.  Hell, foregoing senior year and your degree, even in physikal kultur und sport, is a fairly major sacrfice.  Do your victory lap after you finish the important stuff.

So I can rationalize entering the draft as a nobody, but I can't really rationalize leaving school to be a 350th pick.  Theres no money, minimal fun, and an infinitesimal chance of making MLB.

25 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but if any of them want to take a shot at MLB well it is not like one more year around here is going to do them much more good than spending that year in the minors.

if you spend one day on a MLB regular season roster you get lifetime access to the health care plan.  I assume a lot of parents front a lot of debt keeping kids on a college roster so a signing bonus probably goes back to them. 

Having said that, unless the rigors of academia are too hard I don't see the value of leaving early.  I mean if you have the actual talent and ability to make it the top level, playing as a senior can't hurt you at all right?

Edited by petscii

1 hour ago, petscii said:

Having said that, unless the rigors of academia are too hard I don't see the value of leaving early.  I mean if you have the actual talent and ability to make it the top level, playing as a senior can't hurt you at all right?

Well I hope Ellis, Reynolds, Hamilton, Petrinsky, etc...feel the same way.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:32 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

We didn't offer this guy...slugged. 617 and had 28 xbh and 54 rbi this season 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

Only 3 years left on Pierce's contract... CDC will know after 2020 season if DP is the right guy or not.

Wonder if Jim Schlossnagle has been given another extension of not -- CDC signed him to a 6yr deal in summer of 2016

Edited by LTtxfan

14 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Well, we had three guys tie for the team lead with 15 XBH, and Zubia led the team slugging just over .400.  Texas saw better pitching, but still...

I added wrong earlier- he had 31 xbh...so twice our leaders. 

Texas and SHSU had a bunch of common opponents, including each other...so I checked that theory. Here are his stats vs common opponents

VS Texas-  2-4, all 3 of their RBI

VS Baylor 4-8

VS TCU 2-2 (game got fogged out with SHSU up 10-2 in the 2nd so may not be included in official stats)

VS Rice 2-6

VS UIW- 4-12

VS ULL 7-12

VS Lamar 4-10

VS CC Aggy 7-14

VS Aggy 1-4

Here are his stats against some other P5 programs;

VS Arizona 2-7

VS Miss St 2-4

VS Nebraska 1-3

total- 38- 86  .442

his overall average was .368 so he hit far better against our common opponents/ other P5 of note than he did against the rest of their schedule    

• immamac changed the title to David Pierce Makes Me Big Sad